We Begin!

Greetings to my Big Sisters! It is with awe, trepidation, and great excitement that I help to inaugurate this blog for the Large (r than life?) Woman.

There is much to discuss.

And, oh boy, will we.

But first, a few introductions. I was born 6 weeks premature in the summer of 1972, and the doctors told my parents that I’d have to stay in the hospital for at least two weeks. One week later, they called and said “she’s eating so much that she can go home now.” I’ve had trouble finding well-fitting clothes ever since.

In my application for this job, I told Manolo that

[m]y vision for Manolo for the Big Girl is a site where women of all shapes can ooh and aah over the beautiful clothes that are made in Women’s and Women’s Petite sizes, share tips and secrets for looking superfantastic, applaud Big Girl celebrities (there are few, but they exist), and poke gentle fun at designers and media outlets who do not appreciate women who have more to love. It would be a place where I (and the occasional guest blogger with more expertise in various areas) would show myself to be confident and fun, while being open to suggestions and tips from the readers as well as honest about the days that feeling confident and fun is difficult . . .

What the site would not be: angry, spiteful, or a place where it is OK to make fun of skinny women. It would not be a Fat Fetish site, as I believe that it is acceptable to admit that big girls, like any women, are sometimes ashamed of our bodies. Nor would it be a site where dieting or exercise are encouraged or discouraged, as I believe that Manolo’s readers are intelligent enough to decide for themselves how to take care of their bodies and how much time or effort to invest in losing weight, and when or if to do so. The site would be about honesty, fun, and great clothes, that’s it.

Like Plumcake, I have come to terms with being fat, and no longer see that word as a value judgement (though I know that many people do, when applying it to me, but that’s their mistake, not mine). However, I personally prefer the adjective “cushiony,” which not only implies what my body looks like but also that it is something to be experienced. Being cushiony feels more like an invitation, no?

So, welcome!

18 Responses to “We Begin!”

1. Di July 23, 2007 at 2:56 pm #

Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of plus blogging! Love the attitude right out the gate; can’t wait to see more!

2. Kate Harding July 23, 2007 at 3:58 pm #

Not sure how I feel about “cushiony,” but I can’t wait to read more from you. :)

3. alphabitch July 23, 2007 at 4:56 pm #

welcome and pleased to meet you, etc.

4. kenju July 23, 2007 at 5:40 pm #

Cushiony is just right – and it beats the heck out of fluffy! Welcome!

5. TheNeller July 23, 2007 at 5:44 pm #

Hello! I am incredibly excited to be reading the first post of this long-overdue venture! I very much look forward to the voice you will give to us bigger girls and the insight you will offer about an array of topics, not the least of which is the fact that we need not hide in sack-like, shapeless clothing!

6. Wendy July 23, 2007 at 5:55 pm #

Cushiony! Brilliant.

7. Maggie Hall July 23, 2007 at 6:22 pm #

Love you girls – here in the antipodes we voluptuous goddesses are deprived of fashion. I spend countless hours searching for clothes and I am not that big. Are all designers misogynists who want girss to look like boys? A pox on all shopassistants who want to put us in mu mus! The problem gets worse with age – there is nothing but smock dresses at the moment – You can tell I needed to vent!
    Looking forward to more pearls of wisdom -and perhaps some pressure on the fashion industry to dress real women!

8. DasBoots July 23, 2007 at 6:33 pm #

As one posessed of luscious curves, I say “Yippee!!!” I lovelovelove my curves, and I cannot wait to see what y’all will have in store for us!

Mwah!

9. Bridey July 23, 2007 at 7:10 pm #

Delighted to meet you, Plumcake and Francesca! I’m quite fat — neither cushiony nor fluffy, thank you very much :) — and I hope for great things always from the Manolo brand. You’re off to a great start!

10. dragon_moon July 23, 2007 at 8:38 pm #

What a lovely start! Looking forward to seeing fun fashions! That’ll be a nice change from the tunic and leggings or muu muu looks you see around town that is most often offered for ‘cushiony’ ladies. ^___^

11. Alana July 23, 2007 at 11:06 pm #

Yay! Can’t wait for the blog to get rolling and see some plus size clothes with style and attitude. And I love cushiony, though I think we also need a sexy version too.

12. shiloh July 24, 2007 at 4:44 am #

Try being a curvy woman in Asia, where almost every woman seems to be a small size 0. Except me.

I buy most of my clothes online but sometimes the fit is not quite right :(.

I’d love more options from women who know how to make the best of the bigger, cushionier girls assets.

Finally, clothes (and shoes) that make me look as wonderful as I usually feel!

13. Amber July 24, 2007 at 9:04 am #

Love your vision for the site!

14. Meg Q July 24, 2007 at 12:36 pm #

I’m so so so excited! Looking forward to what you girls put together!

15. Ericka July 24, 2007 at 1:43 pm #

Hi! This seems like a good concept for a blog. I will be reading! For the record, I am fat, broad-shouldered & tall (or, as I often say, built like a linebacker) and would love info on plus size tall fashions and any shoes that come in larger sizes (I wear a women’s size 13).

-E

16. Leana July 24, 2007 at 3:07 pm #

Interested in reading future blogs…
    it was not until I reached female maturity (mid 40′s—I am 49 now) that I grew to
    love myself, and accepted all that I had/did not have. The love of a wonderful man
    who became my husband helped me grow in self-esteem greatly. I am not FAT. Fat
    makes you think of greasy, slovenly things that are scraped off the plate into the trash can…
    It’s all attitude.
    I am Womanly. Sexual. Seductive. Sensual. Voluptous & Buxom with lush curves
    that desire to be stroked, caressed and petted.
    We are all blessed with attributes. Find yours and revel in it…
    Good luck with your blog!
    Leana

17. tiggy July 24, 2007 at 7:54 pm #

Hooray! I love you ladies already!

18. Peggye July 25, 2007 at 6:58 pm #

When I was 12 some 60 years ago I was a “chubby”. Oh God please ask readers about the Chubby departments in department stores. When married an 11. I am now(I have never had a waist)an 18 bottom and 16 top. I also need petite sizes. Talbots at least will mix and match and but Bloomingdales(who are about to cut their plus size department) say”you are too small for us” while upstairs I can only wear the tops. I always wish I was rich enough for a tailor who would make tops that did not stretch to my knees or bottoms that didn’t have hips for the curvy.Help!Help!