Welcome to Manolo for the Big Girl. Let’s dish!

On behalf of The Manolo, Francesca and I would like to welcome you to this particularly fierce corner of the internet, we are glad you are here to help us make the world a little more super fantastic.

First let’s talk attitude. The great thing about being the biggest gal in the room is that you can be the BIGGEST gal in the room: the fiercest, the most fabulous, the most confident. With a big attitude you can work looks that would overwhelm our slender sisters and make drag queens want to pull your hair from sheer glam envy. That being said, there is a fine line between looking divine and looking LIKE Divine, who while a heck of a broad, probably shouldn’t be your everyday sartorial role model.

Good Attitude, Bad Eyebrows.  Publicity still of Divine from John Water's
( This Is Not What We’re Going For)

About The F Word. I use the word fat. It’s an adjective, not a moral judgement, and it fits me. I am tall. I am brunette. I am terrifying behind a .38 or a low-interest charge card and I am fat. So help the next person who refers to me as “fluffy.” I live in Texas y’all. I have hounds and am NOT afraid to release them.

About the Clothes: Y’all know the quality and style of clothes available in the smaller sizes aren’t often available to us. As such I am a huge (ahem) proponent of the little black dress for day and night. A lower quality material always looks better in black and it allows us to look bon chic, bon genre in any situation. Anything that gets posted on this site will be available in the traditional plus sizes. If it’s junior plus, I’ll note that, too.

About the Shoes: Cheap shoes are for people who Do Not Know. I am all about the clearance sale or buying last season for a huge discount, but no good can come from a cheap shoe. Not only are they a false economy, but as big girls we put more pressure on our feet than our smaller sisters and owe it to our tootsies to take as good care of them as possible. Plus there’s nothing that makes up for the necessary evil of a less-than-couture dress than a pair of kick-you-in-the-face fabulous heels. All the shoes I show on this site will be available in a size 10 larger at the time of posting. If they come in a size 12 like these kooky little morsels perfect for the fall on crazy clearance at Neiman Marcus, I’ll note that too.

Louboutin suede peep toe pump

About The Media: Comedian/Actress Dawn French –gorgeous and ample creature that she is– once said if she ever met an alien she would hope to have Kate Moss with her to show that women come in all different configurations. I’m with her. Yeah, big girls have been put upon by the fashion industry and a thin-obsessed society, we all know that. Thankfully we don’t need to contribute to the ugliness. After all, it takes time away from thinking about important things, like our hair and whether we can live one more minute without those delicious sling backs we saw at Neiman’s last week (answer: no). Remember y’all: big can be beautiful; bitter never is.

15 Responses to “Welcome to Manolo for the Big Girl. Let’s dish!”

1. Medina July 23, 2007 at 3:45 pm #

Can we be friends? :) You sound like my kind of girl.

2. Kate Harding July 23, 2007 at 3:54 pm #

Yippee!! Can’t wait to read more!

3. alphabitch July 23, 2007 at 4:54 pm #

yay!! welcome!

I’m with you on the F-word thing. Whenever a well-meaning galpal starts with the “but you’re not fat!” malarkey. I always reply: “you say ‘fat’ like it’s a bad thing.”

They get the idea eventually.

4. TheNeller July 23, 2007 at 5:47 pm #

Hello! I very much look forward to reading more of your posts in the future! And I absolutely share your sentiment regarding use of the term “fluffy”.

5. Wendy July 23, 2007 at 5:54 pm #

The shoes in the size 10! Thank you Plumcake, and may the goddess bless your kick-you-in-the-face heels for advocating not just for the Big Girl but for the Big Girl with the Big Feets! Please oh please can you also note if the lovely lovely shoes you post about come in the wider widths as well? Such information will be of great value to me.

Long may you and Francesca and the Manolo wave!

6. robot July 23, 2007 at 11:49 pm #

“I am terrifying behind a .38 or a low-interest charge card and I am fat. ” Ah, brilliant. This was me 120 lbs ago; alas, I still have wide feet as a result of years of shopping for comfort more than looks when it came to shoes. I still have the .38 (okay, more than 1, or 2…) and the card, and in most magazines my size 6 ass is still fat. Now I’ve discovered the wonderful world of shoes and cannot wait to see more of this blog. Help me Obi-Wan!

7. Icy July 24, 2007 at 1:08 am #

Oh, I’m so coming back here regularly! Glad you both are writing this blog.

8. The Jimbles July 24, 2007 at 6:31 am #

“About The F Word. I use the word fat. It’s an adjective, not a moral judgement, and it fits me.”

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

It took 30 years and a move to Europe to finally undo the brainwashing that ‘fat’ is an insult or a bad word. I am so inexplicably tickled to see someone else using it – not pejoratively – as a personal descriptor.

Again, thank you. You have just found a reader for life.

9. Amber July 24, 2007 at 9:03 am #

Hey Plumcake, I’m right with you on all this. Can’t wait to see where this blog goes! Congrats to you two!

10. Style Spy July 24, 2007 at 10:34 am #

Congratulations to one of my favorite homegirls!!!!!! Yeeeeeeeee-HAW!!!!!!!!!!

11. Never teh Bride July 24, 2007 at 11:03 am #

Looking forward to reading more! Welcome aboard!

12. Beulah July 24, 2007 at 7:36 pm #

Thank you for acknowledging that not all women wear a size 6 dress, much less shoe! As a “generously proportioned” woman with size 12 feet, I’m ever so grateful to see that you’ll be posting larger-sized shoes.

13. Bettie Mercury July 25, 2007 at 11:19 am #

I love you. :)
    Size 12 shoes? My prayers are answered.

This blog is totally going on my daily reading list. Thank you thank you!!!

14. Pinkleader July 26, 2007 at 10:35 am #

A friend and I have used the term “built for winter weather” after seeing a size 2 freezing outdoors in colder temperatures. To me it implies that we aren’t fragile, but wonderfully and proudly Amazonian.

15. Shiloh July 29, 2007 at 3:37 pm #

Dearest Plumcake,

Y’all are off to a fabulous start! Can’t wait to read more.

Toodles,