L’amour Est Bleu

Plumcake does not, as a rule, audibly gasp. A Southern Lady of Breeding –no acronym please– would simply dah rather than let on that whatever she just witnessed was not the exact and most appropriate thing that could have possibly been done in polite society.

For example, when Aunt Merriweather finds Uncle Shorty passed out in the croquet court with a giant hickey on his face, an unfortunate side effect of sucking all the air out of his julep cup and attaching it to his chin in order to add realism to his Pharaoh impersonation, she simply dusts him off, fetches him an aspirin and casually remarks to the gathering crowd that Uncle Shorty always did love his ancient history.

Yet, when at the behest of the fantastic Francesca, I visited igigi.com and came across this little jewel I could not help but gasp. This dress –the Beatrice in cobalt—is flawless. The bateau neck is so flattering, as is the cut of the skirt and the 3/4 length sleeves.

flawless.

It’s very melon and prosciutto on granddaddy’s yacht. Not that I ever got any of the melon or prosciutto NO I was a kid and had to have Coca Cola and corn nuts instead. Corn nuts! Not that I’m bitter.

The black is beautiful, but if you happen to have flowing raven tresses and creamy porcelain skin like the model (and like Plumcake herself, who most closely resembles Snow White on a carb bender) do yourself a favor and pick up the cobalt.

12 Responses to “L’amour Est Bleu”

1. Diane July 30, 2007 at 2:09 pm #

That is a beautiful dress! Personally, I’m rather fond of the red one. I guess I’m a sucker for bright colours.

2. Elizabeth July 30, 2007 at 2:14 pm #

Any idea if the rhinestones are removable? I think the dress would be more adaptable without them.

3. Randi July 30, 2007 at 2:32 pm #

I also noticed this dress and thought it was gorgeous, especially because I prefer a sleeve.

I also must say, Plumcake, that “Snow White on a carb bender” had me rolling at my desk!

4. Betty July 30, 2007 at 5:37 pm #

Ooooh this is pretty. As for Igigi, I’ve ordered from them before, and they were excellent! I might have to get this for my trip to Vegas…

5. gemdiva July 30, 2007 at 5:44 pm #

Lord love those Suthen Ladies. I can’t remember who said it, but I’ve always loved this comment. “Down south we don’t hide our strange old relatives up in the attic, we put ‘em right out on the front porch for everyone to see.” I’ve always thought that was great and sums up the southern attitude beautifully.

6. gemdiva July 30, 2007 at 5:45 pm #

P.S. One of the main reasons I love that comment is that I myself fully intend to be a strange old relative some day ;-)

7. Elizabeth K July 30, 2007 at 6:55 pm #

Love the dress. Will look fab on you, Plumcake.

8. Meg Q July 30, 2007 at 7:26 pm #

Nice dress.

Those Uncle Shorty situations always happen BECAUSE of the juleps, IMO – but that does not mean getting rid of the juleps, no, as you note, we must just carry on as Aunt Merriweather does.

My problem was that I grew up at a time when WASPs still ate things like Corn Nuts, decanted into silver dishes (of course). My elderly relatives were very suspicious of things like “prosciutto” for a long time, they thought it was funny-tasting ham.

9. bonnie-ann black July 31, 2007 at 12:34 pm #

love the dress, the color, etc… but i really, really hate 3/4 sleeves — i’m a long-sleeve gal. i find 3/4 — being neither here nor there — never stay either here or there. they inevitably sqeeze the elbow and my arm goes numb like its a blood pressure cuff. wish that larger sized manufacturers would realize two things: a) just because your size 14 or above, you are not necessarily 5’9″ – 6′ tall, and (b) we like a bit of variety in sleeve length.

10. OCCaliAKA August 1, 2007 at 6:59 pm #

I like the blue. I am in that 5’9″ ish range, so I appreciate dresses shown on tall people. I am a fair-skinned black woman who doesn’t wear red, so I can dig blue. I’m a bit burned out on black.

11. Sarah August 3, 2007 at 7:38 pm #

Oh, we betide me that I am not so grandiously curvaceous as to be able to buy that gorgeous thing! The red rose color is particularly appealing to me… but, c’est la vie, non?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks: