Jackets! | Manolo for the Big Girl

Jackets!

I know what you’re thinking. Jackets? In August? Plumcake must be all hopped up on the goofballs, typing with one hand while the other injects some sort of illicit substance into her lovely eyeball. But no, my suspicious internet friends, it is not so. Plumcake is a good girl, and does not go in for that sort of shenannygoats. I have seen Reefer Madness. I know what happens.

Newport News is offering three unusual and lovely jackets for the unusual and lovely girl at very reasonable prices.

Edwardian Jacket

First, a lovely velvet blazer with a hook-and-eye closure guaranteed to make your waist look teeny tiny. Very Katherine Hepburn meets Tsar Nicholas: Emperor and Autocrat of All The Russias. Don’t get too gimmicky with this one –please, no ruffled collars and cuffs– but if you just happen to have a riding crop well…who doesn’t love a well-accesorized girl?

Also for the elegant equestrienne, at 30% off:

(again I beg you, no stupid ruffled cuffs)

The NN folks also have a scrummy swing jacket perfect for the long leather gloves that will be everywhere through the colder months and you will not believe the price.

I’d love this with jeans and a say-something bib necklace or over a little black dress with a big bangle bracelet.

14 Responses to “Jackets!”

1. koz August 2, 2007 at 2:00 pm #

This isn’t good. I’ve been reading your site for a whole five days or something and have already bought to things you recommended. Not good at all!

2. koz August 2, 2007 at 2:00 pm #

And now I’m disgusted with myself for being so anxious to tell you that I used “to” instead of “two!” Gross!

3. biscuit August 2, 2007 at 2:00 pm #

Oooh, those are all gorgeous!

4. Neller August 2, 2007 at 2:30 pm #

Great finds!! I’ve been dog-earing my latests NN catalog, though I do find they have a tendancy to throw ALL of one trend on to one model. Moderation is key! I adore that swing jacket. I’m hoping to purchase one and a pair of really great, long gloves for fall.

5. Jezebella August 2, 2007 at 2:50 pm #

If I need long leather gloves for winter, where would I find said gloves that fit not only my peasant hands, but my thick peasant wrists? Anybody know?

6. sara August 2, 2007 at 3:04 pm #

Gorgeous all! While I have les maines petits I do not have les petits forearms. Fantastic, long leather gloves that won’t make me look like a musketeer? Please? I’ll let you borrow my riding crop! And even my velvety helmet to complete the look!

7. Icy August 2, 2007 at 6:58 pm #

Jacket number 1 is dreamy!

Jezebella, you should find that long stretchy fabric gloves will also be in (they were in Australia for our winter) which should fit just fine.

8. OCCaliAKA August 3, 2007 at 2:10 pm #

Since I live in California, I would not have much use for that beautiful orange jacket. Boo…

9. Pinkleader August 3, 2007 at 3:33 pm #

I’m actually in love with this long black and white applique jacket, which happens to be in my size. Will it be a classic timeless piece, or look dated in a year or so?

10. bonnie-ann black August 6, 2007 at 1:34 pm #

i actually have jacket #1 for a couple of years and i love it. i wear a slightly ruffled tuxedo shirt and a pair of old black jodphurs with it — it fits like a dream and looks so sharp!

11. koz August 8, 2007 at 8:20 am #

Word to the wise: I bought the third jacket — the orange one. It’s horrible. The fit is very maternity, and the sleeves have some funky think going on at the holes. I was so sad. If you do insist on trying it, get it a size smaller than you normally would and sign up for a part-time job as a highway construction flagger.

12. maryb August 13, 2007 at 2:39 pm #

I’m so glad I checked back. I found the swing coat style of the orange one really attractive, but something kept making me hesitate (yes, the color, but I was also just nervous about it). I think koz has stopped me from falling into error.

No one may be reading these comments anymore, but if anyone is…what do people think about the quality of Newport News items?

13. La BellaDonna August 13, 2007 at 5:02 pm #

Maryb, it depends. I have a Newport News dress I like so much I ordered it in multiples of the same colour – and I would have kept them, too, if they’d sent the size I ordered! I have an ankle-length velvet coat that I love, but I had another I sent back, because it turned me into a velvet block. I have a skirt I really like – and a bunch that I sent back, because they weren’t cut right for my body shape. Generally the quality is OK, but for me the fit is hit or miss – but I’m also built oddly. I’d say it’s worth a risk. I’m still willing to buy from them, despite having had to return items.

14. La BellaDonna August 24, 2007 at 6:14 pm #

Aaaaandd, coincidentally, as I write this, I’m wearing a very nice Newport News silk skirt – leopard, with flounces. I am curious; why would someone who speaks up on behalf of leggings, speak against ruffled cuffs with the velvet jacket? I have frequently worn ruffled cuffs with various fitted jackets, including velvet, and they have looked quite nice. What do you not like about them?