The Big Question | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Big Question

Francesca and Plumcake want to know:

If you could pass on one piece of advice to a younger big girl, what would it be?

63 Responses to “The Big Question”

1. styleosophy August 13, 2007 at 6:12 pm #

Learn to love yourself just the way you are. That love will become the self-confidence that reminds you that you are smart and fabulous in most any situation.

2. Mrs.KS August 13, 2007 at 7:12 pm #

Good Golly- I really wish I had heard all of this when I was a kid. WOW!!

Single best piece of advice- Be you, at all times, at all places and with all people. You know when you aren’t being you- its when you are listening to all of the other noise and ignoring that little voice in your heart- that little voice is the real you and it needs to be heard. Let it speak- you will like what it has to say. Those that don’t like who you really are can pound sand. When you are true to yourself you will always glow.

Oh– And a new lipstick or a new pair of shoes can often equal a new lease on life!

3. g-dog August 13, 2007 at 7:48 pm #

‘Kimocean Says:
    August 11th, 2007 at 1:49 pm
    Let your big personality shine. You are not too big, too much, too loud or too anything. You are amazing and sometimes it takes a bigger body to handle all that superfantasticness! ‘

Wow – what a nice way to look at this – needing a bigger container to hold all the superfantasticness!

Cheers!

4. Kimocean August 13, 2007 at 11:33 pm #

Thanks g-dog. It’s taken me 31 years to figure that one out but I do like it ;-) All of the advice here is really wonderful and I too wish I’d heard it when I was a bit younger!

5. Ms.R August 14, 2007 at 10:38 pm #

Shoes seem to always fit! :)

6. Sarah August 15, 2007 at 3:52 pm #

If you are clothes shopping with your friends who are not large (12+), you should probably stop. Just going into Ambercrombie, Hollister, BR, Wet Seal when I was young was enough to make me feel like shit for weeks. Unless the person is a best friend and it is a wedding/funeral/largelifeevent, let them clothes shop on their own. I always ended up being dragged into stores where nothing fit me by “friends” who would refuse to shop at Lane Bryant or Torrid or look bored and uncomfortable the whole time we were there. If they constantly drag you into stores where they *know* nothing fits you, then they are not your friends and you are better off without them. They just want to pressure you into buying skinny clothes (“see you’re not fat!” or “if you just loose a few pounds these jeans will fit fine!”) that will be a waste of money and will make you feel even worse when you get home.

And whomever said avoid bright colors and prints, blarg on you. My wardrobe is almost ENTIRELY comprised of bright colors and prints (plus versitile black). Bright colors and prints are not just for skinny girls and they usually look BETTER on me then my size 8 friends.

7. g-dog August 15, 2007 at 8:26 pm #

Kimocean and others – so true re: wishing I had learned to accept myself at a much younger age – I am still working on it! I would have spent my younger days feeling like the pearl in the oyster, and not the ugly grain of sand! Ah well …

8. Younger Big Girl August 18, 2007 at 2:44 pm #

As a younger big girl (just turned 17 this week), I thank you all.

9. KellyGirl August 22, 2007 at 11:35 am #

Take up space. Don’t buy into the pressure to be small, because that’s just one more tactic our culture uses against women to keep us docile and quiet. Take up space and be proud of the fact that you take up space.

10. Jie Zhang July 23, 2008 at 10:37 am #

navy dating adviceManolo for the Big Girl!