Good Nikki/Bad Nikki | Manolo for the Big Girl

Good Nikki/Bad Nikki

This wounds me to say because everyone knows that here at Manolo for the Big Girl our collective bosoms heave with love for Miss Nikki Blonsky, but say it I must.

Nikki Blonsky is not tall enough for this outfit.

Bad Use of Leggings

See, when you are travel-size like the Divine Miss B, there is a danger of having Too Much Going On. There’s just not enough distance between objects to let the eye rest. You’ve got to break it up a little.

La Blonsky has a LOT going on with this outfit, what with the big hair and the Pucci-inspired charmeuse top and the wrinkled leggings and the electric blue shoes which I do not technically hate but question because is that suede? in July? Really?

Fortunately, Nikki redeems herself. Same idea, but a cleaner look. Notice how the ribbon gives us a break from the pattern and draws attention upward while the black peep toes –even in a shorter heel– makes her legs look longer. This is how it’s done short girls.

redemption.jpg

I love a happy ending.

8 Responses to “Good Nikki/Bad Nikki”

1. sara September 4, 2007 at 12:54 pm #

Going back to the leggings discussion a few weeks ago – I think she is too short to wear leggings. They make her legs look even shorter and wider.

Now, the same tunics with some beautiful long black pants with a great straight line would make her look so much taller and leaner – ultimately more flattering. Heck, she may even be able to pull off those shoes if they were mostly hidden under pants. Maybe.

This is, of course, IMHO… :)

2. Adenike September 4, 2007 at 1:34 pm #

I agree with Sara, cast ye olde leggings into the bin and never let them be heard from again. A long black pant would have made the entire outfit more attractive. Losing the shoes would also help, hrmm, patent leather in a lower heel? An attractive wedge heel for those of us who are traveled sized?

I am not sure if the Pucci style charmeuse was the best choice… at all. Admittedly, I have similar styles and patterns (broken up of course) but the brighter colors flatter my skin. This was perhaps… too dark?

3. Bridey September 4, 2007 at 4:30 pm #

Wow — leggings with heels? Not my taste, anyway, but I hate leggings in general, especially those underprivileged ridey-up ones that look like bike shorts.

But Nikki Blonsky is terribly cute, just the same.

4. Lyndsey September 4, 2007 at 9:46 pm #

I love the shoes, but hell to the no with the leggings. The shoes look bad because the outfit looks bad.

5. Toby Wollin September 5, 2007 at 9:15 pm #

I’m 5’2″, so leggings are on my “hell no” list..as are crops, clam-diggers, et al. I either do shorts, skirts, or long straight cut pants. Period. No questions. Nicky is a great kid and is not helping herself here with those leggings. At all. Now, perhaps if the leggings went allllll the way down to the ankle, perhaps. But I would not bet on it either – long straight cut or boot cuts. Yep, that’s the ticket.

6. caitlin September 6, 2007 at 4:37 pm #

Neither of these looks is flattering in the least. I’m a fat girl, taller than she, and I wouldn’t touch leggings with a ten-foot pole. And I hate to say it, but her shoes are heinous- peep toes and high, high heels do not flatter chubby feet.

7. Margo September 11, 2007 at 6:38 pm #

Word on the leggings, but I have to defend 3/4 length pants – I’m 1.62m and they’re the only length I can work, full length pants just swallow me (God forbid they have tapered ankles, but wide-cuts swamp me, too). I never wore pants at all until a loopy but sympathetic sales assistant connived to get me into a pair of black jeans last year. It was a Damascene moment, for reals.

8. peter June 14, 2008 at 12:51 pm #

I’m sorry, but I totally disagree. Having seen Nikki, she can wear anything she wants.

I don’t normally watch anything like Hairspray without a fight. I’m a police officer, and while I was at the station the dispatcher was watching the movie. I only had to watch and listen to her for about 30 seconds, and I was hooked. She is beautiful, and she did a great job of showing the world what true beauty is: personality, attitude, and perception. I’m a fan now, and I will watch this movie with my wife and two daughters.