The Friday Fetish | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Friday Fetish

Patent leather is having a moment right now and I love it. I will freely admit that my fascination with shiny things is on approximately the same level as an especially simple and possibly transvestite American raccoon, but friends, there is a lot of bad patent leather out there. And by patent leather I mean vinyl, and by vinyl I mean no.

We are Grown Ups. Grown Ups don’t wear vinyl shoes. We have jobs and pay rent and and do all sorts of other Grown Up things that involve accountants and dentists and sometimes a pair of those awkward metal stirrups and a whole lot of it sucks but when we come home we can open our closets and –provided we are not actively employed in the hooking arts– sigh saying “at least I don’t have to wear vinyl shoes” and go about our lives of quiet desperation knowing that if all else fails, we are still beautifully shod.
Plumcake's favorite!

From my personal collection, these beautiful Delman “Bruna”Mary Janes.

The surprisingly affordable Italian Lumiani “Venezia” in olive.

why not green shoes?

…and my number one covet shoe of the season —in which I am not alone— the heart-stopping Prada “Sfumato Mary Jane” which is so beautiful in person I almost licked it.

sfumato.jpg

mmm…delicious.

9 Responses to “The Friday Fetish”

1. JaneC September 7, 2007 at 1:10 pm #

Wow, those are some beautiful red patent leather shoes. Most of the ones I’ve seen, even the most expensive, were far too bright to look classy. You, however, managed to find a gorgeous pair.

2. Amber September 7, 2007 at 2:20 pm #

3. Twistie September 7, 2007 at 3:21 pm #

Why do I have such a strong urge to lick the olive green ones?

Murky greens just make me salivate, okay? And they make my skin glow. And oh, those red ones make me smile! That sort of red makes my eyes look their bluest, and I swear it makes me stand three inches taller.

Alas, the heels would definitely daunt me. I live in flats and regularly fall off of them. It’s a pity my hands are so much more graceful than my feet.

But maybe I could just set them on a shelf and appreciate them as Art.

4. bettie September 7, 2007 at 4:26 pm #

oh my! i just got my sfumato pumps in the mail yesterday – they are totally lickable, and surprisingly comfortable to wear :-D

5. JustJenny September 7, 2007 at 7:03 pm #

I love, love, love Delman shoes. They’re classy and understated (and actually comfortable). Nothing makes working at a big law firm feel good like knowing I can wear those beautiful shoes…

6. rubella September 10, 2007 at 12:23 pm #

Amber, perhaps you can help me out. I’m a longtime vegetarian and wear a 10W. Of course I covet all of these shoes. I feel as though it’s impossible to find an attractive well made dress shoe of the non leather variety in wide width. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. Moxy September 12, 2007 at 1:39 am #

“Aww sorry to be the downer, but I wear vinyl shoes. Animals need not die for MY feet, when I can accomplish the same look without killing! :/”

That’s perfectly fine dear; they can die for mine all they want. :)

8. Sophie A. August 27, 2009 at 2:24 am #

Hi. This is definitely very helpful info you have here and I appreciate the post.