The Big Question: Musical Edition | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Big Question: Musical Edition

Francesca and Plumcake ask:

You’re getting ready to go out for a night on the town. You’ve glued on your fake eyelashes, strapped on your party hair and have plunged your piggies into shoes so cute that baby ponies vomit all over themselves out of sheer envy. What music do you play to make you feel as fierce as you look?

Plumcake says: It takes five songs to drive from Château Gâteau to my favorite clubs, during which I listen to a double shot each of The Cramps “Thee Most Exalted Potentate of Love” and “Hot Pool of Woman Need” and The Flametrick Subs –“The Way I Walk” and “What Makes a Good Girl Go Bad?” followed by Link Wray’s “Rumble” a song that was so scandalous when it was first released it was banned for being too provocative, even though it doesn’t have any words!

17 Responses to “The Big Question: Musical Edition”

1. Twistie September 13, 2007 at 1:07 pm #

My fierce music runs heavily to Melissa Etheridge, The Dixie Chicks, and Fanny. Then again, it’s impossible to fail to be fierce in the wake of The Who’s Won’t Get Fooled Again…particularly the live version.

Twistie’s Fierce Songs:

What Kind of a Lover by Fanny
    I Just Realized by Fanny
    Bring Me Some Water by Melissa Etheridge
    Brave and Crazy by Melissa Etheridge
    Ain’t It Heavy by Melissa Etheridge
    Somebody to Love by The Jefferson Airplane (I sound just like Grace Slick when I sing, so there had to be something of theirs)
    Goodbye, Earl by The Dixie Chicks
    Hole In My Head by The Dixie Chicks
    Crank Up the Victrola by Ariel
    Step It Out Mary by Boiled In Lead
    Won’t Get Fooled Again by The Who

There’s plenty more, but that gives you a good sample of what you’d be likely to hear me yelling in the shower if you happened across me during my morning ablutions. Somebody To Love and White Rabbit are my party tricks.

2. QuiteLight September 13, 2007 at 1:36 pm #

Right now it’s Gnarles Barkley (the whole album), Matt Dusk, KMFDM, & the Gypsy Kings. & Depeche Mode’s Ultra if my guy isn’t joining in; they depress him a bit. Ooooh, & Gorillaz. Any album.

3. Orora September 13, 2007 at 5:18 pm #

Three words: Tom Jone’s “Kiss”. If that doesn’t put a swing in your step, nothing will.

4. Bridey September 13, 2007 at 6:08 pm #

I’m a total classic rock chick, so here are a few that make me feel fierce and up for anything:

“The Waiting” by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (you can’t not sing along)
    “Rock of Ages” by Def Leppard (cheese metal forever!)
    Deep Purple’s “Lazy” (forget “SOTW,” this is the real guitar-god classic)
    Steely Dan’s “Any Major Dude” (terminal cool and bone-deep misogyny aside, SD could be sort of geeky-sweet every now and then)
    Roxy Music’s “Both Ends Burning” (Bryan Ferry & Co. doing to perfection everything all the New Wave/New Romantic geeks were trying so hard to do all through the ’80s — and doing it in 1974. Nobody cooler.)

5. JustJenny September 13, 2007 at 7:26 pm #

I don’t really have a specific song anymore, but when I was younger (read: highschool) it was John Mellencamp’s “Wild Night.” Now it’s probably something like Georgie James’ “Cheap Champagne” or We Are Scientists.

6. Rebecca September 13, 2007 at 8:33 pm #

For me it is almost any of Piazolla’s tangos, “Bringin’ Sexy Back” by JT (I know, it is Justin Timberlake, but the song has some good memories attached) recently Rhianna’s “Shut up and Drive” (the subtlety and not so subtle car references are TOTALLY up my alley) “Defying Gravity” from the Wicked soundtrack, and probably “Black Coffee” sung by Rosemary Clooney. An interesting mix and it is always relative to what I am doing, thinking or who I am meeting;-)

7. Anita September 13, 2007 at 9:32 pm #

My fiercest song is an oldie but goodie–Prince’s “U Got the Look.” I’m ready to give some folks the smackdown when I hear that one.

8. Style Spy September 13, 2007 at 9:52 pm #

Mmmmmmmm, Cramps. “And how long have you been wearing them?”

9. Elina September 13, 2007 at 10:30 pm #

The one song guaranteed to put a swing in my step and a bounce in my strut is the Scissor Sisters, “Filthy/Gorgeous”. Because I am both: filthy, and gorgeous.

10. Sara September 14, 2007 at 1:44 am #

Fierce for going out dancing means two different remixes of Cry For You by September, then some trance song that says it’s in German but isn’t, then into some Tiesto or George Acosta. Dance music is for dancing, and I have the kind that’s so good you forget you haven’t stopped in a couple of hours. We went out dancing last weekend and happened upon a fantastic DJ tag team–hours of sweaty fun on the light up dance floor! Doing it again this weekend!

11. Pinkleader September 14, 2007 at 12:26 pm #

Pretty much the Too Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar soundtrack. Brick House, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, etc.

12. deja pseu September 14, 2007 at 12:30 pm #

Anything performed by George Thorogood, but especially “Who Do You Love” and “Bad to the Bone”.

“To Be Real” (that disco tune that was playing when Carrie fell on the catwalk).

“I’m Feeling Good” by Nina Simone.

13. Eilish September 14, 2007 at 8:51 pm #

Favorite fierce and sexy would be “Sweet Dreams” by the Eurythmics. Dang I just know I spelled that wrong.

14. JayKay September 16, 2007 at 1:12 am #

1. “The Only Time” by Nine Inch Nails
    2. “Darling Nikki” either Prince’ s original or the Foo Fighters cover will work
    3. “Freedom” by George Michael

Yeah, I feel ready to conquer the world after those tracks… =)

15. Synnamin September 16, 2007 at 2:22 am #

I have a playlist set aside just for that purpose. There’s a lot of industrial, synthpop, futurepop, and EBM – Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Marilyn Manson, Covenant, Garbage, And One…

it’s fast, furious and sexy. Get’s my blood up and makes me want to take over the world! Well, or at least the club and every man (and maybe a cute girl or two) in it!

16. Julie September 16, 2007 at 12:29 pm #

“Beating Heart Baby” by Head Automatica!

17. pearlandopal September 16, 2007 at 7:54 pm #

“Feel Good” by Kittie and System of a Down!