Soprano’s Low Note | Manolo for the Big Girl

Soprano’s Low Note

First let me tell you what I love about Soprano’s star Aida Turturro pictured here at the 2007 Emmys.

aida-turturro-sopranos.jpg

I love her age and season-appropriate makeup. I love that she’s laughing. I love that while she may be twice the size of most of her female colleagues she looks like she’s having twice the fun, too.

However (yes there’s a however, you know I don’t just say nice things and be done with it) there is A Lot Going On with this look. I mentioned this before –and will mention it again– that especially when one is a big girl not blessed with great height, one must be extra vigilant not to overdo it with the floaty fabric and the lace and the beadwork and the big fluffity hair.

There’s got to be restraint somewhere–a sleeker ‘do, bare arm instead of the not-fooling-anybody wrap– or else you’ll just get gobbled up by the mass of your own ensemble.

Spiritual soul mate and illustrated big girl Ursula the Sea Witch shows us a better way.

disney.gif

See? Hair away from the face, simple accessories. This is how it’s done. So remember ladies, next time you’ve got to dress up, remember Ursula here. To quote an ex-boyfriend –who may or may not have been talking about the tentacled temptress– “she may be evil, but damn, she always looks fantasic.”

13 Responses to “Soprano’s Low Note”

1. sara September 18, 2007 at 12:58 pm #

Right on! The slimming nature of black is lost with all of those layers.

I honestly think the hair bugged me the most – too messy. I might have been able to swallow it with a sleeker hair style.

2. Pinkleader September 18, 2007 at 1:49 pm #

Honestly, it is the bodice that bugs me the most. I know they were going for a fishtail look, but it ends up appearing that her torso is 3 feet long and her legs are those of a little person. When wearing the bum-hugging almost fishtail style, it is even more important to leave the wrap at home to show off the figure hugging you were going for.

3. QuiteLight September 18, 2007 at 3:13 pm #

Whoopsie. I just glanced at the picture & assumed the shot was cut off at the knees. Then I went back & looked again. Wow. I’ve never seen a dress truncate someone like that before.

4. deja pseu September 18, 2007 at 6:47 pm #

Her smile atones for a lot of sartorial sins, though.

5. roya September 19, 2007 at 8:55 am #

I disagree, I think she looks great, she is how she looks and her hair is great. (personally I think Ursula the Sea witch looks like nightmare, I never understand why that sort of sleeveless matron look exists it is terribly unflattering and gives all but the most anorexic women the look of the old battleaxe romantic obstacle in a pretentious 30s movie.

I think the one thing that might improve it is maybe a higher waistline.

6. Margo September 19, 2007 at 2:26 pm #

I keep staring at this picture, and I can’t figure it out. I don’t think it’s just the dress making her look so odd. Look how long her arms are in comparision to the skirt/legs part of her. Is she sitting down, or, for some unfathomable reason, kneeling?

7. Bevin September 20, 2007 at 1:23 pm #

Hey, does anyone know the designer of that dress and/or have a photo that shows the detail a little better? The dress is beautiful, but you are right, the wrap and the hair kill it.

8. Greer September 22, 2007 at 5:12 am #

She’s not wearing heels and that’s why she’s laughing.

9. Lilly Munster September 23, 2007 at 8:56 pm #

I agree with you, roya 100%. A higher waistline would have helped, but when I read the part about the “battleaxe” from the 30’s I remembered Margaret Dumont in the Marx Brothers movies and had a nice little laugh!

10. How many times have I thought about this (Manolo for the Big Girl!)? This is a great article and I appreciate the thought you put into it. Thanks!!

11. Celebrity Wedding Hair Style Picture December 18, 2007 at 8:29 pm #

Water finds it own level every time. I don\’t mean to be diadect or phsesious or in any way inpune your veracity (LOL), I ran across your blog when quite innocenty searcing one of the major search engines (who shall remain nameless) for Celebrity Wedding Hair Style Picture

12. benga7 January 4, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

:) this made me laugh a bit