Dear Nine West | Manolo for the Big Girl

Dear Nine West

You don’t have to name dresses after food to get the fat girl market.
I give you the Cucina (Italian for “kitchen”)

and The Panini

We have other interests too you know. Why don’t you have a sweater set named “The NYT Crossword Puzzle” or a dress titled –and I’m just pulling this one out of my hat– “Greased-Up Scotsman Mixing Plumcake a Cocktail” now THAT has appeal.

10 Responses to “Dear Nine West”

1. bonnie-ann black November 9, 2007 at 4:36 pm #

yes! why isn’t that second one called The Uffizi or Alhambra or Venitian Tile? and the first one could be Intersecting Highways… it should appeal to those of us zoftiques who like to travel.

2. Dowdydiva November 9, 2007 at 6:43 pm #

Those are silly names, certainly. They started as a shoe company, and we know how wonderfully inappropriate those names can be. I’d bet, though, that if those dresses appear in their misses’s line, they will have the same names.

Which are still darn odd things to name dresses, now that you’ve pointed that out.

In Nine West’s favor, though, they are one of the few lines that have a great range of both fun and elegant items for a wide range of bigger body types. They take some chances with shapes and fabrics, which I applaud them for.

3. K November 9, 2007 at 8:52 pm #

I’d take “Greased-Up Australian” too, in a pinch.

4. meimei November 9, 2007 at 9:21 pm #

Mmmmm…. greased-up Scotsmen fixing cocktails…

…Oh, where was I? Yeah, the dresses are gorgeous, especially that red “Venetial Tile” one. But the design names, not so much. I’m just glad Nine West doesn’t have a design called Puttanesca. Or, worse, EVOO.

5. Maurina November 9, 2007 at 11:09 pm #

Hey the model in the 2nd picture looks like Callie from Grey’s Anatomy.

6. Margo November 11, 2007 at 12:59 am #

“Kitchen” and “Panini”? Who names a frock after a room and a toasted sandwich? (I’m also not quite sold on the double straps on the stripey number, or maybe it’s just the neckline cut which is giving her quadraboob).

7. Kimks November 11, 2007 at 11:38 pm #

Uhmm I would comment more, but I have my own greased up Scotman making me a cocktail in my living room right now— Ladies, seriously, don’t be afraid of the kilt-wearing, bag pipe blowing man– they are quite nice. Rather glad I married one

8. oliviacw November 12, 2007 at 12:21 pm #

I own the second one (although I need to wear a camisole with it), and it’s a good dress. I also tried on the first, and liked the fit but not the print – the lines aren’t particularly flattering.

9. Jane November 13, 2007 at 9:54 am #

And if they ARE going to name dresses after food, why not go for the good stuff? Gelato Baci, for example, or Cannoli?

10. crosswords December 27, 2007 at 4:26 am #

Crosswords are the best – you can play online here : http://www.wordlords.com