The Big Question: Weighing In | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Big Question: Weighing In

Francesca and Plumcake want to know:

How often do you weigh yourself?

64 Responses to “The Big Question: Weighing In”

1. shiloh November 15, 2007 at 4:35 am #

Every morning. It helps me keep my weight in check, and add more exercise if possible. I eat more when I’m stressed – like munch on whatever when deadlines are close, so knowing that my weight has gone up, helps me stop.

2. Elizabeth K November 15, 2007 at 9:04 am #

Every couple of days. I’ve lost 40-45 lbs in the last 2 years and have slacked off on the gym recently due to craziness at work so I want to make sure that none of the weight creeps back on.

3. anon November 15, 2007 at 12:10 pm #

Never. I had to be weighed for a lung capacity medical test 2 years ago but other than that I just say no thank you at the doctor’s office.

4. Aunt Bub November 15, 2007 at 2:29 pm #

Never. I do better if I don’t know “the number.” Then at the doctor’s office, during the obligatory weigh in, I am alternately delighted or horrified.

5. Dee November 15, 2007 at 2:39 pm #

A couple of times a year, maybe. I get weighed at the doctor’s office, and every once in a while I get curious and set on my husband’s scale. I was raised to weigh myself every day and use the information to beat myself up. I never bought a scale after I left home, and it was great for my mental health not to have one.

6. kimocean November 15, 2007 at 3:49 pm #

Wow, it never occured to me that you could refuse at the doctor’s office. Makes sense but I guess I’ve always just been a slave to the medical authority. I do weigh myself just about everyday before my shower. I find for me that it takes the stress off knowing that there are daily fluctuations and that each day doesn’t mean a whole lot. I recently gained quite a bit due to stress and lack of sleep and I wasn’t weighing myself during that time. I wonder if I had been if I would have been more cognizant of it because although I noticed that my clothes weren’t fitting well, I way underestimated how much I had put on. When I finally stepped on the scale I was shocked! I started stepping on every day and now I’m maintaining again though I haven’t tried to get into loss mode (have to wait for this stress to come to an end since I know I’ll never lose in this mental state!)
    ~Kim

7. JayKay November 15, 2007 at 5:15 pm #

After a bout with anorexia in college, I don’t weigh myself EVER. At the doctor’s office, I turn around on the scale and ask the clinician not to say my weight out loud.

8. Nony Mouse November 15, 2007 at 5:55 pm #

Rarely. My weight has hovered around the same number for the last ten years, and I just started going and buying new clothes because the old ones were starting to look *worn* – the thing about having the doctors know your weight is that, when you’re sick and you’re saying “This is REALLY bad” having lost twenty pounds in a matter of days raises the level of concern.

9. Neller November 15, 2007 at 11:08 pm #

It depends. Sometimes, I’ll go for weeks without weighing. I usually start feeling icky, hop on the scale, and freak out at the number I see (much higher than I’d expected, even with feeling ‘icky’). Then, I’ll weigh obsessively – every single morning between 8 and 9 am. I’ve gotten as bad as weighing myself every single time – before and after – I went to the bathroom. It’s all very cyclical for me. However, I don’t let the number get to me too much because I do understand weight fluctuates throughout the day, so I try to only “officially” weigh myself once a week.

10. Miss Louisa November 15, 2007 at 11:50 pm #

Never

11. Andrea November 16, 2007 at 3:15 pm #

Never and that includes the my annual OB-GYN festivities. They know I’m fat.

12. Buffpuff November 18, 2007 at 9:30 am #

Never. And I ask medics to keep the number to themselves, should they feel the need to weigh me.

For the first half of my life, I predicated my entire self-worth on the number on the scale. 3lbs over some arbitrary figure and I was a worthless ugly freak; 3 lbs under and I was a paragon of svelte virtue. Then I discovered the liberating concept of self acceptance. It took many years of dedicated hard work to learn how to give myself a break and banishing scales from my life was a conscious part of that process. A couple of years went by before I was able to resist the temptaion to jump on other people’s bathroom scales but I eventually kicked the habit – and my life has improved immeasurably.

13. betsy November 18, 2007 at 11:29 pm #

Once a week or two, at the gym. We don’t have a scale at home.

14. Laura December 1, 2007 at 5:15 am #

Every three days or so in the morning. I weigh just about what I want to now and so I usually find it to be a pleasant experience. I usually won’t weigh in if I feel a bit bloated or if my eating habits have slipped in the past couple days. I’ll make the necessary dietary adjustments and try again a couple of days later to make sure any weight I thought I may have gained didn’t stick.