Fat women in art: example the first | Manolo for the Big Girl

Fat women in art: example the first

Francesca loves art.

So we will be looking at art, especially fat women celebrated in art, every so often. Let us begin with Picasso, shall we not?

This painting evokes many feelings and thoughts for Francesca. First, she loves the colors. Second, see how the mirror creates a reflection which is not a true representation of reality. In Francesca’s eyes, the reflection in the mirror is less symmetrical and more sad-looking than the woman herself. Or is she even looking in the mirror at all? Can not we relate to this girl who sees something in the mirror other than what she truly is?

This image, Femme devant mirroir, is available at one of Francesca’s favorite internet sites, barewalls.com, whose owners Francesca once had occasion to speak with. They were truly very nice people, who said that their original and ongoing vision for the site is to sell poster prints at accessible prices, which will allow the average persons to surround themselves with beautiful things.

It was easy, when they started the site, to find posters online of scantily-clad women, rock stars, and the like. They created a site for people who want vintage magazine covers, fine art, old maps and the like. What Francesca loves is that one can browse by artist, or subject, or type of art. She has discovered so many many wonderful artists, who have created such extraordinary images for us to enjoy. Human creativity is a wondrous thing.

9 Responses to “Fat women in art: example the first”

1. Toby Wollin November 29, 2007 at 5:56 pm #

Oh, I guess I had it all wrong. I thought that the young girl was visualizing the much older version of herself in the mirror.

2. kimocean November 29, 2007 at 6:54 pm #

I don’t think there’s a wrong and a right Toby. I’ve always thought the woman was pregnant and that the mirror was her worried self, her dark thoughts about what is possible in the future. I like Francesca’s interpretation though. There are days when what I see in the mirror is certainly distorted. Funnily enough though I think there are also days when what I see in the mirror has a bit of extra glamour added.
    ~Kim

3. Francesca November 29, 2007 at 7:19 pm #

Oh, how Francesca loves to see how different people interpret the same painting! That is what makes it, truly, a work of art.

4. Carol November 30, 2007 at 10:42 am #

Probably everyone has already seen this video Women in Art on YouTube. If not, I think it’s well worth a few minutes of your time.

5. Jennie December 2, 2007 at 3:47 pm #

I happen to have a reproduction of Picasso’s The Dreamer in my living room. She of the 6 fingers, the lumpy squishy arms, the ample bosums, and full rounded face. I look at my other art and in not one of my pieces do I see protruding hip bones, stretched skin over ribs like zylophones, or the cheeks so hollowed that the face looks mummified. My statue of Pallas Athena actually has a rounded stomach behind her sword and shield. I was reading a 19th century novel that described the heroine’s dimpled elbows. The skeletal works of art tend to represent horrors and the despair while women with some flesh represent beauty….

6. Hester December 4, 2007 at 4:07 am #

Thanks for the wonderful link to inexpensive prints! I’m moving into my first house soon, and am thinking of asking some people to peruse the site for something I might like….

7. Jessica January 9, 2008 at 7:13 am #

Passing through and wanted to tell you I enjoyed my stay

8. flow1800 August 1, 2008 at 2:45 pm #

2PsgoS gjiodsjg iosdjgoijsdo sdjo gjsdigj osdjgi dsog jidjg iosjgiodj giojsdigjdjsog