Washington, D.C. Face to Face December 19th | Manolo for the Big Girl

Washington, D.C. Face to Face December 19th

at 6:00 p.m. at Off The Record, the bar at the Hay-Adams. You know the Hay, right? It’s the posh hotel right next to that big White House.

You’ll have to forgive me for my lack of posts, it’s a gypsy life for me in the last few weeks of the year. Ooh, speaking of which, hoop earrings…trashy or no?

13 Responses to “Washington, D.C. Face to Face December 19th”

1. Toby Wollin December 12, 2007 at 7:20 pm #

Hoop earrings? Trash factor increases geometrically with increases in the diameter and the amount of “chiffoneria” that has been plastered on them. To wit: less than an inch across, 24K gold is nice and fairly tasteful. Two inches across with rams heads kissing at the bottom…not so much.

2. wegan December 12, 2007 at 9:47 pm #

Someone once told me that if they are bigger than a 50c piece (about 2cm in diameter) then they are trashy.

I proceeded to ignore that advice.

3. betsy December 12, 2007 at 10:22 pm #

definately NOT trashy (in the absence of the rams, love birds, initials, cursive writing, etc) but the very definition of ‘confident’, ‘understated’ and ‘sharp’.

4. Tellicherry December 12, 2007 at 10:23 pm #

Hoops are wonderful! Giant chola silver hoops, classic quarter size narrow gold hoops, bohemian hand cast gold hoops with Sleeping Beauty turquoise, fat Italian gold serious business hoops – I own hoops for every single occasion.

5. Margo December 12, 2007 at 11:06 pm #

Silver hoops, graduated sizes from quarter to dime for the three piercings in my right ear, which I’ve had since 1977.

6. Storme December 13, 2007 at 10:24 am #

hoops? trashy? never that. ill take a silver or white gold set, big enough to be a bangle, thanks. it’s uber funky and quite the lovely way to adorn one’s lobes.

7. Style Spy December 13, 2007 at 12:34 pm #

Hoops are only trashy if you have matching platinum jackets with dollar-sign cut-outs on your front teeth. Or if you’re Victoria Beckham, who makes everything trashy.

8. Cat December 13, 2007 at 12:52 pm #

Hoop earrings, by themselves, are not trashy. To the contrary, they can look quite classy — even the really big ones.

9. J December 13, 2007 at 3:07 pm #

Depends, depends. I tend to take heed of the “bigger the hoop, bigger the ho” maxim, a la Lindsay Lohan and her trashy, trashy earrings, but small hoops are OK. Big hoops could be fun for a party, could be cute or pretty, but are NEVER elegant. They’ve been sullied.

10. Rosemary December 13, 2007 at 6:10 pm #

I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to make it! BTW, if anyone is Metro-ing, McPherson Square seems to be the closest stop.

Are you going to have a sign or something? Because knowing me, I’ll be totally lost.

11. Rosemary December 13, 2007 at 7:10 pm #

PS: What’s the dress code going to be?

12. aging roue December 14, 2007 at 1:02 pm #

From my XY chromosomal perspective: Hoops are extraordinarily sexy on a lady.

13. Rach December 17, 2007 at 1:00 pm #

Since I’m not released from my non-Metro-accessible NoVA office till 6, I’m not sure I could make it in time. The hotel’s website only mentions valet parking for overnight guests. Does anyone know what other parking options might be available?