The Big Question: Whatcha eatin’? | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Big Question: Whatcha eatin’?

Francesca and Plumcake are sick of the newspaper articles and emails warning us how to avoid calories and weight-gain on the holidays!

We want to know:

In what special food item are you most looking forward to indulging this Christmas?

28 Responses to “The Big Question: Whatcha eatin’?”

1. Alisa December 19, 2007 at 4:43 pm #

Fruit cake

2. thepinkeminence December 19, 2007 at 6:37 pm #

Cookies and, um, cookie dough. Mashed potatoes with extra butter. Cheesecake. Champagne…nothing after the champagne counts, right?

3. Daniela December 19, 2007 at 6:59 pm #

Hmm… almond cookies and a cup of cocoa (from scratch).

4. meegs December 19, 2007 at 7:13 pm #

Stuffing!!! And chocolate.

5. dr nic December 19, 2007 at 7:19 pm #

My apricot cookies in the cream cheese dough and baked brie in butter-honey-garlic sauce on New Year’s Eve.

6. Twistie December 19, 2007 at 7:34 pm #

I’ve got the makings on hand for pumpkin pie, so that’s going to be Christmas dessert.

As for what else I’m cooking…I haven’t quite decided yet.

The food I’m looking forward to most won’t happen until January, though. That’s when Mr. Twistie will spend four days away at a convention/trade show and I can eat all the fish and lamb and lovely green veggies I like without refusing to eat them and then making himself something desperately unhealthy without any vegetation in it.

Left to my own devices, I usually skew toward a fairly light and healthy menu…with something sinful and chocolate for dessert.

7. Angel December 19, 2007 at 8:07 pm #

Lots and lots of Brie. Eggnog. Stuffing with gravy and cranberry sauce. Smoked salmon and cream cheese. Fruit cake. Broccoli Casserole.

I’ve been allowing myself far too many holiday indulgences lol! I’ve had 2 or 3 gingerbread lattes with whipped cream from Starbucks a week for the past month or so. Not including all the restaurant lunches I’ve had because I was out shopping with friends. I decided to just treat myself with compassion this holiday season. It’s a fun time, but also stressful. I can’t worry about dieting too. I think I’ll probably gain about 5 or 10 pounds. I’ll deal with it after the holiday season. :)

8. Despina December 19, 2007 at 8:23 pm #

Rack of lamb, baby!

9. kimberly December 19, 2007 at 8:39 pm #

gallons and gallons of eggnog. pumpkin pie. my special nutty fruit cake. shrimp, cold with lots of cocktail sauce and wine for Christmas eve dinner. Birthday cake for dessert, since Christmas day is my husbands birthday……

YUM!

10. cass December 19, 2007 at 9:09 pm #

Mmmm, eggnog latte. Thankfully (for my wallet, if nothing else) a limited time treat. I do love me some eggnog.

11. Babs December 19, 2007 at 9:18 pm #

Pierogi, peirogi, peirogi!!!!!

My hubby’s family is Polish and there is ALWAYS pierogi at Christmas dinner!

12. C* December 19, 2007 at 10:00 pm #

Homemade English toffee from my family’s 4 generation old recipe. And the homemade peppermint marshmallows I made on Sunday. I’ve been putting them in hot cocoa like crazy! Yummm. Also Christmas ham. Yum

13. Idalin December 19, 2007 at 11:24 pm #

Chocolate chip cookies and ham. Mmm.

14. Sniper December 19, 2007 at 11:47 pm #

Shortbread, fruitcake (with dried, not candied fruit), turkey!

15. amysue December 20, 2007 at 12:37 am #

i’ve been eating a bunch of dried cherries dipped in dark chocolate from Whole Foods… yum.

16. Amanda December 20, 2007 at 12:52 am #

Fudge. Ambrosia Balls. Peanut Brittle.

And when I get to my mother’s: Blueberry Torte, Gingerbread men, more fudge, more ambrosia balls, more brittle, and cranberry-orange muffins.

17. HeleneoTroy December 20, 2007 at 10:24 am #

We always take my grandmother to Christmas Brunch at the Ritz. It’s become a family tradition. I’m looking forward to the baked-just-for-me Belgian waffles and mounds of caviar!

18. Tk December 20, 2007 at 11:32 am #

Christmas cookies! My housemate and I have made 7 kinds, and my mom and I are scheduled to make 4 more. My favorite part is hand painting butter cookies with sugar glaze and bringing them to friends and family on Christmas eve.

19. JaneC December 20, 2007 at 1:04 pm #

I’ve already made some Christmas cookies–butter cookies from my new cookie press. They tasted good, were fun to make, and I gave most of them away. Next up: Dad’s persimmon bread, served warm with fresh whipped cream and nutmeg on top. Dad always manages to find people with persimmon trees who don’t know what to do with the fruit, and who willingly let him strip their trees of the bright orange sweetness. I don’t think I’ll ever have the guts to knock on the door of a complete stranger to ask for fruit, but I do love persimmon bread.

20. Roronoa December 20, 2007 at 1:53 pm #

Foie gras, foie gras and more foie gras…

21. Cat December 20, 2007 at 2:04 pm #

I’ve been eating Candy Cane Tootsie Pops and drinking Silk Soy Nog (which is actually quite tasty!) and Williams Sonoma hot chocolate. I’m looking forward to my mom’s Christmas cookies and fudge at the family get-together this weekend!

22. Rubiatonta December 20, 2007 at 2:09 pm #

Marzipan — either in tiny fruit shapes, or covered with dark chocolate.

And my 94-year old gran’s “boozy bourbon balls.” OMG. They are teh lethal.

23. AngelleNoire December 21, 2007 at 4:37 pm #

Mmmm eggnog most definitely! Frozen pizza rolls, steamed mussels, marinated shrimp with tabbouleh and a cold Blue Moon. We are completely non-traditional and random in our house at Xmas so this is not the set menu

24. Allura December 23, 2007 at 2:56 am #

Cookies, esp those nut “snowball” ones covered in powder sugar (they’re made, but Mom wouldn’t let me take any home!). Christmas Eve Italian style – spaghetti with white clam sauce, spaghetti with red calamari sauce, fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, scallops, whatever other fish my aunt & uncle make this year. Heck, even the one piece of eel a year I eat, I’m looking forward to. A “yule log” roll cake. Bagels & lox on Christmas morning. Prime rib on Christmas Day. I love Christmas foods…

25. AKC December 24, 2007 at 1:00 am #

The things I look most forward to eating are: 3 cheese mac and cheese, dressing, Spinach Dip made with real mayo and real sour cream, New York Strip Steaks on Christmas Eve… Garlic Cheese Grit Casserole…. and on and on and on…

26. Rachel of Cyberia December 26, 2007 at 1:18 pm #

Potat Klub on New Year’s Day.
    It’s a Norwegian peasant dish, made of about 40 pounds of potatoes shaped into huge balls and fried with about 40 pounds of butter. Eat with milk, more butter, salt and pepper, then lay on the couch for 9 hours while you digest it.

27. music January 7, 2008 at 6:02 pm #

very interesting.
    i’m adding in RSS Reader

28. Kitten Face May 24, 2008 at 6:38 pm #

This is not interesting. THIS IS CRAP, LOTS AND LOTS OF HEAPS OF CRAP. THIS IS A DISGRACE TO THIS WONDERFUL WEBSITE. I HOPE YOU ARE SORRY, CRAP!