The Big Question: Draw Blood! | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Big Question: Draw Blood!

Francesca and Plumcake want to know:

In the movie of your life, what is the song that plays when you enter a room?

I cannot speak for Francesca, but the piano riff from Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London” would suit me juuuust fine.

48 Responses to “The Big Question: Draw Blood!”

1. Boots January 9, 2008 at 3:23 pm #

“Slung-lo” by Erin McKeown. It’s such a great, fun song, I try to listen to it every day on my way to work.

2. Jane January 9, 2008 at 3:43 pm #

“Dulcissima” by Corvus Corax. You’ve probably never heard it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QWS1xUkUaA

3. M. January 9, 2008 at 3:46 pm #

Definitely would be “Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangster”, because it’s so ironic. I’m so not a gangsta, but somehow my friends have associated this song with me. Maybe because it was my ringtone for awhile? :)

4. Violet January 9, 2008 at 3:50 pm #

“Stagger Lee.”

(Okay, so ask me again some better month.)

5. Jane January 9, 2008 at 3:50 pm #

I should perhaps mention that Corvus Corax is a medieval fusion band from Germany featuring lots of odd instruments, and that “Dulcissima” is performed with a full chorus and orchestra. I deserve nothing less, don’t you think?

6. Smili January 9, 2008 at 4:01 pm #

Queen’s Fat Bottomed Girls!

7. Lisa January 9, 2008 at 4:14 pm #

“Something About The Way You Look Tonight” by Elton John.

8. biscuit January 9, 2008 at 4:50 pm #

1. As soon as I saw “draw blood” in the title I knew you meant Warren Zevon, and

2. as soon as I saw “Stagger Lee” I knew whose comment it was.

(and for me, “Circles” by Soul Coughing)

9. wegan January 9, 2008 at 6:08 pm #

the theme song from the greatest american hero.

“Believe it or not, I’m walking on air, I never thought I could feel so Free-ee-ee.”

10. Evangeline January 9, 2008 at 6:15 pm #

“Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns ‘n Roses!!

(And sometimes “Stricken” by Disturbed.)

Now what does that say about me? lol

11. jassy January 9, 2008 at 6:44 pm #

Speaking of Francesca, where is she? I miss her.

12. Margo January 9, 2008 at 6:46 pm #

That made my morning – I’m the hugest Zevonite. For moi, I pick New Order’s giddy ‘Temptation’ – doo, doo-doo-doo-doo-doo, doo…. makes me want to kiss someone. Or ‘Pull Shapes’ by the Pipettes (‘Dance with me pretty boy to-niiiight’). How ’bout the theme tune to America’s Next Top Model?!

13. Margo January 9, 2008 at 6:47 pm #

wegan – that’s awesome. I’m going to hum that all day.

14. Phyllis January 9, 2008 at 6:47 pm #

What else but ‘She’s a Brick House’. And every now and again, ‘SuperFreak’.

15. jassy January 9, 2008 at 6:48 pm #

And also the song, Freedom 90 by George Michael. So evocative of my youth and yes “Sometimes the clothes do not make the man”. ;)

16. Sarah January 9, 2008 at 7:10 pm #

“American Woman” by The Guess Who. At least, in an ideal world, where I am happy. In some cases, though, it would have to be Elton John’s “The Bitch is Back”!

17. dr nic January 9, 2008 at 7:14 pm #

Female of the Species by Space (Fembot Remix) of the Austin Powers Soundtrack. One quote says it all “the female of the species is more deadly than the male.”

18. Lucy January 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm #

I am extraordinary, I am just your ordinary
    Average every day sane psycho
    Supergoddess”

20. S.Bucher January 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm #

“Big Exit” by PJ Harvey!

21. Catherine January 9, 2008 at 11:22 pm #

Stand By Your Man, by Tammy Wynette and Good Hearted Woman by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. Both of them with major irony.

22. Hurricane Jessica January 9, 2008 at 11:45 pm #

Oh! I know! I know!

“Short Skirt Long Jacket” by Cake.

‘I want a girl with a mind like a diamond…’

23. Denise January 10, 2008 at 12:59 am #

The flying theme from the most recent Peter Pan. Or the 1812 overture.

24. JayKay January 10, 2008 at 1:58 am #

I have two, depending on who I am going to see in the room:

“Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor (theme to all the Rocky movies)

AND

“She’s a Bitch” by Missy Elliott

=D

25. fantasmicalfrankie January 10, 2008 at 2:20 am #

I feel like a different person everyday, so it would have to be one of at least 5 songs:

1. Oh, Sister -Bob Dylan
    2. Buttons -PCD
    3.Renegade -Styx
    4. Twilight Zone -Golden Earring
    5. Girl Anachronism – Dresden Dolls

26. K January 10, 2008 at 2:27 am #

“Lip Gloss” by Lil Mama. Great rhythm.

27. Chaser January 10, 2008 at 3:00 am #

Ohhhhh I want that music from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack that always accompanies the King of Ring Wraiths. Or that frantic part from Orff’s Carmina Burana.

28. Jenna January 10, 2008 at 4:51 am #

“Are You Gonna Be My Girl” by Jet.

I love the song, and a male admirer once said it reminded him of me because of the refrain. I guess I can kind of see it.

Big Black Boots? Check.

Long Brown Hair? Check.

Sweet…eeeeh, debatable.

“Get Back Stare” is on the charitable side, but I’ll take it.

29. Kitty January 10, 2008 at 8:59 am #

Depends on the day. Some days, it’s “On the Verge of Something Wonderful” by Darren Hayes. Depending on my mood, it can be:

“There’s a decent living to be made in the selling out of ideals.
    You can lose your way in the big city,
    Get distracted and lost in being pretty
    I want you
    I need you
    I don’t want to please you
    Or belong to anyone
    But life is for leading
    For not people pleasing
    A race that has never been won.”

Or it can be Savage Garden’s “Break Me, Shake Me” on a bad day:

“Straight away you just move into position again
    You abuse me in a way that I’ve never known
    Break me, shake me, hate me
    Take me over
    When the madness stops,
    Then you will be alone.”

Or if I’m all sweetness and light, it’s Vanessa Carlton’s “Ordinary Day”:

“Take my hand
    Live while you can
    Don’t you see your dreams lie
    Right in the palm of your hand?”

Yeah, I’m eccentric. Of over 30 GB of music, those popped right into my head. ^_^;

30. Angel January 10, 2008 at 9:37 am #

Freedom by George Michael or Supermodel by Rupaul or I’m Too Sexy by Right Said Fred. Depends on the day. ;)

31. gemdiva January 10, 2008 at 10:41 am #

Koko Taylor “Don’t Mess With Mother Nature”

Don’t mess with mother nature
    You’ll be sorry if you do
    I’ll rain on your parade
    And I’ll storm alll over you

32. TeleriB January 10, 2008 at 10:55 am #

Maybe it’s just because it was on the radio this morning, but “Canon in G” by Pachelbel, or something else Baroque: a mad mess of competing melodic themes and counterpoint that, somehow, come together in a complex whole that simply works.

Unless the boom is coming down. Then, Beethoven’s 5th. Da-da-da DUN!!!

33. Style Spy January 10, 2008 at 11:37 am #

Oh, Warren. We miss you so…

I always planned to have Mark Knopfler write the score for my biopic, so you’ll have to ask him.

34. AmazonAngelle January 10, 2008 at 1:07 pm #

I am going to be special and non-commital heh

On a good day
    “Baby-I’m a Star”- Prince
    “Everybody got their Something”- Nikka Costa
    “Date with the Night”- The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

On a bad day
    “Freak on a Leash”-Korn
    “Faint”-Linkin Park

At least it seems I have more for good days than bad ones :)

35. Violet January 10, 2008 at 1:32 pm #

S.Bucher, I need my psyche back as soon as you’re done with it pls thx.

36. S.Bucher January 10, 2008 at 2:32 pm #

Dear Violet, I think Polly is big enough (in spirit, at least) to share!

37. Lunakitsch January 10, 2008 at 6:36 pm #

Ever since the first time I heard it, I knew that “Frankie Machine” by Elmer Berstein would have to be my entrance music.

Here’s a link, it’s the song playing over the opening credits of Sinatra’s “Man with the Golden Arm.”

38. Sara January 10, 2008 at 7:58 pm #

I can’t stop wanting “Pistolero” by Juno Reactor to play for room entering, but there most assuredly need to be some wind machines and slow-mo, dramatic removal of sunglasses with hair tossing.

If I’m getting out of a fast car (also in slow-mo) and/or have a gun, it’s gotta be “Barracuda” by Heart.

Who said the movie of my life had to mirror reality?

39. KellyGirl January 10, 2008 at 8:48 pm #

I like the good day/bad day plan.

Good day: Girls Like Me – Bonnie Hayes and the Wild Combo – the song that opens up the movie Valley Girl
    “They got a name for girls like me, they got a word but they don’t wanna use it.”

Bad day: Walk – Pantera
    “Can’t you see I’m easily bothered by persistence
    One step from lashing out at you”

40. Ripley January 10, 2008 at 10:31 pm #

“Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress” by the Hollies

Or maybe “Saltarello” by Dead Can Dance

41. meimei January 10, 2008 at 11:27 pm #

Good day version: “Stronger” by Kanye West or “Jump” by Madonna

Sexy version: “Angel” by Massive Attack

Brutal-revenge-against-callous-ex-in-slo-mo version: “Apologize” by OneRepublic and Timbaland

42. Whitney January 11, 2008 at 8:21 pm #

No question…The Band’s sexy, jazzy, sultry, pleading “Ophelia”. Can you imagine the slow, sultry, scene-stealing and head-turning entrance that song would inspire – no, necessitate?

43. LadyMissM January 12, 2008 at 2:03 am #

Kate – by Ben Folds Five

Even if its not my name.

44. Whitney January 12, 2008 at 5:42 pm #

Oops, just thought of another one that I like EVEN BETTER:

John Mayall’s cover of “Undercover Agent for the Blues”

45. Jennie January 13, 2008 at 6:02 pm #

R*E*S*P*E*C*T by the big beautiful Aretha Franklin. Or “I’m a Bitch” by Alanis Morissette. Or slow and dreamy “Moonlight Sonata” by Beethovan. Or one of a couple of hundred wonderful songs…

46. Neller January 13, 2008 at 9:15 pm #

There are so many songs I just LOVE, and they make me feel ridiculously fierce. The first one that pops into my head:

“She’s Got the Jack” by AC\DC

47. Scarlett January 14, 2008 at 3:50 pm #

The Joan Jett version of the Mary Tyler Moore Show theme song.

What? I am both optomistic AND bad-ass.

48. Jessica January 19, 2008 at 1:20 am #

Passing through and wanted to tell you I enjoyed my stay