Thanks, Spanx | Manolo for the Big Girl

Thanks, Spanx

Francesca remembers well the day she went into a specialty lingerie boutique and asked for control-top pantyhose. The owner of the little shop looked up and down the Apple-shaped body of Francesca and said “I hope you realize that control tops are overrated. It is true they slim the thighs and buttocks, but if you have a tummy, they also enlarge your love handles. I highly recommend that you get regular hose.”

Suddenly, the heavens opened and Francesca knew that this saleswoman was her personal messenger from God. It was so true! The control top pantyhose helped the skirts go on more smoothly, but they also created the unsightly muffin top! Francesca had seen this in her mirror oh so terribly often, but it had never registered. It took a stranger to point out the obvious.

So, Francesca says: beware of slimming “foundation garments” which slim one area and make another area poochie!

Now, onto another, related matter. Speaking of slimming foundation garments, our readers have long been raving about the Spanx brand of “body shapers.” Where can you find Spanx, you ask? Why, Francesca can tell you! They are available, just for example, at Kiyonna here, and at Nordstrom here.

Kiyonna and Nordstrom sell Spanx items at the same or very similar prices, but their selections differ, so check out both sites and see what you like. There is an almost dizzying variety of body-shaping hose, panties, slips, camisoles, body suits, thigh shapers, etc etc. The products go up through size 18. (Francesca does not understand this. Should not they be helping out the sisters whose sizes are in the 20’s? But Francesca helps whomever she can with the information . . . )

(Also remember that both sites have very generous shipping arrangements. At Nordstrom, shipping is $5. At Kiyonna, if you spend $100 and ship within the US, shipping is free. Happy shipping!)

Most pertinent to our discussion, Spanx makes a body slimmer which extends from mid-thigh all the way up past the love handles. It goes all the way up and stops just short of the breasts. This is ingenius and Francesca commends them for creating this.

Here is a similar item, albeit more pricey because it has a cotton lining and stronger slimming powers!

Thanks, Spanx!

xoxo,

Francesca

14 Responses to “Thanks, Spanx”

1. Tk January 11, 2008 at 11:07 am #

Ah, also Target’s Spanx-knock-off called Assets, which is usually about half the price and comes up to a size 5 (265lbs/6’0). My Assets are more comfortable than my Spanx, though I suspect the Spanx are more durable.

2. Alexandra January 11, 2008 at 11:35 am #

Spanx has their own website – and they have a HUGE (no pun) selection in a lot of sizes. http://www.spanx.com
    XOXO

3. boots January 11, 2008 at 12:41 pm #

Miraclesuit makes a similar product to Spanx’s Higher Power Panties and I LOVE it. It runs small, though–I go two sizes up.

4. Valerie January 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm #

Spanx is also sold at Torrid. They go from a size A to G. I do think they run kinda small though. I am a size 20/22 and often have to buy a F or G.

5. michelle January 11, 2008 at 3:32 pm #

I purchase my spanx at Lane Bryant…I’m a size 26/28. This is the only place I know of that sells 20 plus spanx. LOVE THEM!

6. caitlin January 11, 2008 at 4:25 pm #

Spanx are okay, but even the ones that go up to your boobs roll down over the course of the day.

7. Kitty January 11, 2008 at 4:33 pm #

I refuse to buy or wear shapewear, or to buy any clothes that require it. Clothes ought to be altered to fit the body, not the body to fit the clothes.

8. Bridey January 11, 2008 at 6:59 pm #

I’m with you, Kitty!

Squooshing into elastic tubing, even really nice elastic tubing, to make an outfit look “right” would just, to me, be a sign that I’d look better in something else (or perhaps just something that fit). And the idea of wearing a girdle from mid-thigh to bustline is just horrifying to my SoCal-bred sensibilities!

Not that I’m a believer in the cover-it-up and blouse-it-over school of fat-lady dressing. Quite the contrary. I just figure that if you want to wear something that fits your personal form, then — whatever configuration your hips and tummy may take — commit to it in your full, and unedited, glory!

9. AquaMarine January 11, 2008 at 8:14 pm #

Generally, I don’t like to squish myself in. But occasionally a certain dress and occasion demand it. Since I don’t have much of a problem with the butt/leg area and my stomach is more of the problem, I find a waist nipper to do the trick nicely.

Here’s what I use:

Much less of a struggle to put on rather than trying to pull the spanx and other sausage casing garments up.

And you (or rather the boutique lady) are correct, the waist nipper tends to push my fat lower and it goes to the hips. Overall, it’s not a bad look! But for a special occasion only! My stomach likes to be able to digest it’s food properly!

10. m January 12, 2008 at 4:03 am #

ah shapewear. i have tried shaping panties but given the way i’m built i think they make things look worse. i have a big lower belly pouch and relatively small hips and butt. Somehow the slightly smaller sasuage casing effect was much more noticeable than my usual lumps. Given my tastes for dress up and that i live in San Francisco I think my next shapewear will be a fancy corset to wear out.

11. Carol January 12, 2008 at 1:56 pm #

I like Spanx Bra-llelujah! bras for comfort when I don’t need perfect support, and the full slip is good. But, perhaps due to my apple tummy, every style of Spanx (or any brand) lower body shaper I have tried has rolled down as soon as I sat to put my shoes on, much less over the course of a day. I always end up taking it off and going back to regular panties figuring a few lumpy-squishies are better than a roll of shaper around my middle.

The Slim Cognito Seamless Mid-Thigh Bodysuit has straps to attach to your bra that would eliminate roll-down, but it takes awhile to get into and I hate dealing with a split crotch design to pee – ewww! (Maybe I’m just not coordinated enough to handle it.)

12. aliceo January 12, 2008 at 2:18 pm #

In Britain we have what India Knight has called “pants of steel”, Marks & Spencer’s Magic Waist Firm Control Knickers. Here is a link: