Online shopping with Francesca | Manolo for the Big Girl

Online shopping with Francesca

Francesca is feeling down in the dumps. The weather is, for lack of a better description, yucky, and she is inside, alone at home with her computer and her plants, feeling very blah.

But not to worry, the feeling is nothing that a little retail therapy cannot fix!

Here we have a very sweet cocktail dress with hand-beaded lace from Sydney’s Closet:

And here is a beautiful taffeta party dress from Saks Fifth Avenue. It does not work for Francesca’s particular body shape, but it might be darling on yours. And Francesca enjoys looking at it because it is so very pretty:

And, thinking ahead to spring, and colors, and every-day wear, Francesca is eyeing this feminine and affordable outfit from Silhouettes:

Ah, Francesca feels better already!

xoxo

9 Responses to “Online shopping with Francesca”

1. toby Wollin January 29, 2008 at 8:02 am #

Well, just imagining oneself on that beach…with our without that particular outfit, is enough to make one feel better. MMMMMMMMM

2. Angel January 29, 2008 at 11:20 am #

The lace cocktail dress is gorgeous!!! I love it.

3. Twistie January 29, 2008 at 2:04 pm #

There’s nothing like some new clothes to make the world a better place, is there?

I’m waiting for the UPS delivery person right now, and it’s making me feel like it isn’t raining out. I can’t wait for my pretty new purple velvet top!

4. Nemtynakht January 30, 2008 at 12:44 am #

Without that last outfit. I feel very sad to have to disagree, but I’m not feeling that last outfit AT ALL. I think it’s massive frump, personally. And I can’t figure out how it would truly flatter anyone — hide someone, yes, but not flatter.

5. Melissa January 30, 2008 at 1:08 am #

I could not agree more with Nemtynakht. That last dress could be the very symbol of the few and unflattering choices that are so often the Big Girl’s lot. Unstructured, floppy, tent-like: perhaps one step above a housecoat. Please keep focusing on the tailored, flattering garments you normally recommend — not tents we are meant to hide ourselves inside as if our bodies are shameful.

6. Becky January 30, 2008 at 10:53 am #

You know, the purple outfit is definately not my cup of tea either, but, some people wear loose, flowing clothes just because they like the way they look. Not everything has to be form fitting and flattering, and wearing the occasional billowy outfit doesn’t necessarily mean a woman is trying to hide her body. It might just mean she thinks the outfit is pretty.

7. Francesca January 30, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

Yes, Becky, that is what attracts Francesca to this outfit. The skirt in particular — it is the sort that makes Francesca feel feminine and flowy and ready to run through a field of daisies. It is not for the “covering up” factor but for the feminine, billowing-in-the-balmy-breeze factor that Francesca chose it. And the color is very pretty.

It is not as formal as the more fitted, structured outfits Francesca normally recommends, but it certainly can fit the style of the happy, smiley, run-barefoot-through-the-field sort of superfantastic woman!

8. C* January 30, 2008 at 5:44 pm #

I don’t care for the last outfit either, but mostly because I think the top is way too long. I do agree with Francesca that the fabric looks flowy and feminine, and the skirt alone is quite lovely. Perhaps it could be paired with a different top, or the current top could be shortened?