Big Girls in Art: Sleeping Nude | Manolo for the Big Girl

Big Girls in Art: Sleeping Nude

Francesca thinks the woman in this painting is absolutely stunning and sensuous, and if Francesca were a man she’d totally be [***doing an action the name for which Francesca is censoring upon further reflection, until she figures out how to say it without offending any readers- but she thinks you know what she means****] to images of this very Big Girl . . . except that she does not know what to make of this scene. Is this image sensuous or creepy? Is the woman dreaming? Fantasizing? Grave robbing?

What in the world . . . ?

And yet, it is powerful and beautiful . . .

(A poster print of this painting is available from the fine folks at Barewalls here.)

10 Responses to “Big Girls in Art: Sleeping Nude”

1. Lil February 15, 2008 at 6:18 pm #

Is that not Salome, with the head of John the Baptist?

2. rosarita February 15, 2008 at 6:19 pm #

Ooh, I don’t quite get this either. The man she’s kissing definitely looks dead, and the shadowy figures in the background seem to symbolize heaven. She appears to me to be tenderly kissing her beloved before he slips away into the afterlife (just a guess) but I’m not clear about the dog or the reason behind her nudity. Not that she needs a reason, she is indeed, um, drop dead gorgeous (I really couldn’t resist, sorry :).

3. Cecilia February 15, 2008 at 6:23 pm #

I thought it was John the Baptist and Salome, also.

Um, I hope I’m not quibbling, but I don’t think the girl in the painting is big at all. Not even heavy set or plump. She has slender arms and a flat tummy. She’s not a stick, but I’d say that she’s slender.

4. kristin February 15, 2008 at 6:34 pm #

Is that really a “big girl”?

5. Sara February 15, 2008 at 7:25 pm #

Creepy but beautiful. She’s too generously hipped and thighed to be slender. Whatever her body size may be, she’s undoubtedly soft and lovely.

6. Bridey February 15, 2008 at 8:43 pm #

This also seems to me like an image of Salome with the head of John the Baptist. And if that’s right, that would be Herod’s court gathered behind her. The open-eyed creature on the rug seems to be some kind of cat — a symbol of sensuality?

There’s nothing in the story to really suggest Salome had a crush on the saint — she’s referred to just once, and only as “the daughter of Herodias” — but I don’t think it’s an unheard of suggestion.

This also seems mistitled (I don’t think she’s sleeping), and, with no artist credited, I wonder if this is an illustration that has come into the public domain. It has something of that look. By an accomplished artist; it’s quite beautiful.

7. Jennie February 16, 2008 at 2:47 am #

I reject your reality and substitute my own… This goddess was a cat and transformed to her current form. To keep it, she has to suck the life out of craigslist “men seeking women” asses at least 4 times a week…(less if they have “pic attached”) Failure to do so will send her back to animal form for eternity (and the mating habits of cats is really harsh…).
    I was shocked today at the mall (Maul-to rend, twist out of shape…) to discover that a size 10 was considered the new Large size! When did this memo come out? If 10 is large, what is 12, 14, or 16? Larger, Largest, Pre X??? I call on all Americans to EAT A MEAL! Please, don’t become Amy Winehouse!!!

8. Jennie February 16, 2008 at 4:05 pm #

For a contemporary artist that truly appreciates BBW’s, look at Fernando Botero
    (Colombian Painter, born in 1932)…