Comeback! | Manolo for the Big Girl

Comeback!

In light of our recent discussion about public insults, I thought I’d share this heartwarming revenge story with you all.

While I am not usually a fan of the snappy insult in return for clueless cruelty, I do think this woman had it coming. And as much as I prefer to rise above the fray when possible, there are times when something Needs To Be Said.

Here’s what I need to say:

I stand being fat every day because there is more to me than a superficial shell…though that superficial shell looks damn good, thank you very much.

I stand being fat every day because it’s a better look on me than the stress of trying desperately to fit into a mold I will never actually fit.

I stand being fat every day by knowing that even if someone doesn’t like the way I look or the way I dress, they can still connect with a vital, interesting mind underneath.

I stand being fat every day by enjoying the love of friends, family, neighbors, and a cat who thinks I’m his pajamas.

I stand being fat every day because it’s a part of who I am, and on the whole, I’d rather be me than anyone else in the world.

Why? Because I’m superfantastic, I rock, and I have a good time with my life. I can write. I can sing. I can make my own lace. I can remember the words to all the Monty Python routines that make me laugh like a loon. I can get obscure references to historical oddities. I can entertain a small child. I can bake fabulous pies. I can speak intelligently on Jacobean theater and the latest episode of Project Runway as well as literature, classical music, rock music, the evolution of the bustle, and myriad other subjects. I can listen to others in pain and give comfort. I can appreciate a well-turned phrase and a well-turned shoe. I can carry a heavier load than you’d think. What’s more, nobody can take that away from me no matter what I weigh.

Why? Because not one of those things has a damn thing to do with my waistline. And if there are people who cannot see beyond my dress size, I feel sorry for them.

Amusingly enough, there’s nothing that irritates people like that more than being pitied.

13 Responses to “Comeback!”

1. CanadianChick March 1, 2008 at 7:01 pm #

that was excellent – and describes my attitude too!

2. Angel March 2, 2008 at 11:11 am #

I hate that so many things come down to size.

Wow, she handled that rather diplomatically. I would have started an argument with the bimbo. I wouldn’t let someone turn around and belittle me when I’m just standing in line minding my own business.

3. Cat March 2, 2008 at 2:55 pm #

Best. Comeback. EVER!

4. AmazonAngelle March 2, 2008 at 5:12 pm #

She is awesome…

5. teapunk March 2, 2008 at 7:06 pm #

Like the famous old saying: I can lose weight (if I want to) – but you will always be an (insert swearword of choice here).

6. kristin March 3, 2008 at 11:11 am #

Twistie! You sound like you are a lot of fun to hang out with! I wish you lived in Indiana…

7. Bridey March 3, 2008 at 12:23 pm #

I’m afraid I would have responded, “How do I stand what?” — which is not nearly as good as what was actually said!

Like Twistie, I’m not ordinarily a fan of the snarky comeback, but when it’s that quick and that dead-on appropriate, I have to say more power to her.

8. Twistie March 3, 2008 at 1:33 pm #

Thanks, Kristin. If I ever get to Indiana, I’ll be sure to announce it so you can see for yourself.

9. Paige March 3, 2008 at 4:43 pm #

How do I stand being fat? Well, maybe I could be thin if I really, really tried, but when I start to wonder if I should mind being fat, I realize that I had a ton of fun every minute of getting that way — sure as hell never had any fun trying to lose weight! Every pound is a result of living my life the way I want, eating what I want, enjoying the things I enjoy — not a bad way to live a life, I say. Skinny Bitches, if you can say the same thing, then joy to ya; and joy to all us Bitches who say, “Eff off, World; I’m doing this my way!”

10. jen March 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm #

Definitely a shining moment!! Hopefully I will have a comeback as good as that one the next time I encounter a skinny bitch, you rock it girl!!

11. DasBoots March 3, 2008 at 8:48 pm #

While I am normally a bigger fan of taking the high road in situations such as this, I am totally committing that particular comeback to memory. Good on her, I say!

12. Kim March 4, 2008 at 5:48 pm #

I’d be entirely too tempted to say (pointedly) “It beats the alternative”