The Big Question: Aggravated Assault Edition | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Big Question: Aggravated Assault Edition

Y’all, you just made my cold shriveled heart crinkle with happiness from all that righteous, righteous hate from last week. BUT hate is a poison that eats the container it’s carried in –which is why a) my grandma didn’t let me take her good tupperware for lunch and b) my 3rd grade math teacher made it through 1987 alive — so let’s switch it up a bit.

Francesca and Plumcake want to know:

When was the last time you saw a girl wearing something so fab you wanted to knock her unconcious, liberate the garment from her and run away with a quickness?

28 Responses to “The Big Question: Aggravated Assault Edition”

1. Cat March 12, 2008 at 4:02 pm #

This morning, actually. There was a stunning woman in the elevator and she was wearing The Perfect Outfit. It was very simple — black pumps with four-inch heels, a sleek black sweater, and a curve-hugging, but not tight, skirt that was knee-length, with sort of a flouncy hem and a pretty pattern. She looked fantastic, and I was jealous.

2. Jen March 12, 2008 at 4:58 pm #

It’s not an outfit, but I once was distracted from a conversation by the insane engagement ring on a girl standing near me in an upscale home decor store. It was a flawless, enormous emerald cut diamond on a thin (platinum? white gold?) band. She wasn’t dressed anything spectacular, but she was carrying an expensive handbag and the way she held herself seemed to say, “Yeah, it’s real. Sucks for you.” I would have ripped off her entire hand for that ring.

3. wegan March 12, 2008 at 5:08 pm #

Oh, that happens to me all the time (though not as often as i think ‘seriously? do you not own a mirror?’)

But this morning, a girl sidled up to me and said in a very quiet voice “Excuse me…those are great boots”.

That’s going to make me smile all day.

4. demjen209 March 12, 2008 at 5:10 pm #

Returning from a trip at the airport, I saw a woman wearing a black jacket with subtle white poka dots. I am currently obsessed with poka dots, and I coveted that coat so much! If I hadn’t been so tired from the trip, maybe I would have stolen it…or at least asked her where she got it. The most exciting thing was that she was also plus-sized, so somewhere out there there’s a poka dot coat that will fit me. I just have to find it.

5. sid March 12, 2008 at 5:13 pm #

A good friend of mine found these utterly delicious shoes, and when she met me for lunch I had one look and told her, “I’m so glad we don’t wear the same size shoe, because if we did, I would absolutely kill you and steal those.” She was deeply pleased and said it was the best compliment she’d received yet.

6. Rayne of Terror March 12, 2008 at 5:44 pm #

Last time I was in Chicago there was a girl in a white trench and fabulous knee high boots and I thought, I must have that look! I have done zilch about it though.

7. dee March 12, 2008 at 5:52 pm #

Last year on AI? Most of the dresses Jordin Sparks wore. I wanted them all.

8. Kimks March 12, 2008 at 7:30 pm #

There is a partner at my Firm who Always looks fabulous- of course she can afford the best and she is probably a perfect size six, great hair, flawless skin and a really super human being too- We all know the type- We really really want to hate them, but you just can’t- anyhow, 99.9% of the time I look at her wardrobe with complete envy. Today she had on an outfit that was truly awe inspiring- A black and white houndstooth knee length skirt, a red sweater set, simple yet classic silver Jewelry, and these amazing knee high boots- It was classic, funky and just great all in one package. I told her that I really liked her outfit. She smiled and said thanks.

There is another partner at my Firm who is a plus sized woman who is Super Fantastic and dresses amazingly well- She has a Shoe and Sweater collection to DIE for. I have just asked her to be my Mentor, she said yes, and we can do the regular Lunch and blah blah blah, or we can meet for drinks, or hit a museum or do her personal favorite thing- Shopping- She said she loves my style and is sure that we would have a blast and develop professionally shopping together, that it would be more relaxing than formal meetings. WOW! I think I have stumbeled upon the perfect mentor.

9. Kimks March 12, 2008 at 7:36 pm #

I should also mention that I worked with my new mentor on a big project that went well and garnered big bucks for the firm, so she know my professional work too- and I know hers- we are just going to be Super Fantastic Plus Sized Women Taking on the world in style-

10. Chaser March 12, 2008 at 9:32 pm #

There is this student affairs officer in my building. She’s a pretty pretty girl, and she has great taste. Yesterday she was wearing a bright blue tweedy suit outfit–it sounds ghastly but it wasn’t–with a little ruffle at the bottom of the skirt. It was just darling on her.

11. Sara March 13, 2008 at 1:45 am #

As far as actually wearable: I was at one of the SXSW parties, and this chick whose panel I’d attended invited me to come hang out at her table. She had these darling black patent mary janes. They had cream piping with high, tapering heels and a really cute strap across the instep with a button. Couldn’t stop staring at them.

Not so wearable but wanted more: a burlesque corset with wide vertical black and eggplant purple stripes and a bustle. It had draping in the front. There was a matching top hat involved. So cute.

12. Jadeleah March 13, 2008 at 5:31 am #

Well not to boast, but my outfits are pretty fierce most of the time. I’m the only plus-sized girl I know in this country but I get my clothes sent to me by family in the States. I pair my cool USA clothes with vintage/op shop pieces to create a pretty uniqe and enviable style.

13. Carol March 13, 2008 at 6:53 am #

Last Monday. I saw a woman going into an office building wearing a pair of perfectly shaped pumps with 3″ heels in teal patent leather. I actually had my hand on the door handle to jump out of the car and ask her where she got them, but I didn’t want to alarm her chasing after her.

14. Jane March 13, 2008 at 9:38 am #

Oddly, it wasn’t on a woman. Last night during a THREE HOUR flight delay at JFK (talk about rage) I saw a man with the most beautiful leather laptop bag I have ever seen. It was the color of warm caramel, with a couple of convenient pockets for stuff, and it had nice wide strap, and it had obviously seen some miles but still looked GREAT. And suddenly I hated my luggage.

15. Leah March 13, 2008 at 10:12 am #

The willingness to assualt people was strongest for me when I lived in NYC. Most of the time it was because they were douchebags, but sometimes it was because they were so *effortlessly* fantastic in the midst of urban insanity.
    Now, living in NH, it’s not that often that I’m flored by someone’s outfit. Mostly, at this time of year, you don’t even see an outfit – just a jacket. It’s tough to make a knockout look with long-johns underneath.

16. Leah March 13, 2008 at 10:16 am #

assualt=assault.
    flored=floored.

I should know to proof-read by now. More coffee please.

17. B.S.A.G. March 13, 2008 at 11:13 am #

In a London Underground station I saw a girl wearing a skirt that looked like it was made out of vintage printed scarves. I wanted to follow her and get a closer look, but I was in a hurry to get somewhere and she got on a different train. I did, however, manage to snap a surreptitious picture so I can try to re-create the look later for myself.

18. aliki March 13, 2008 at 11:17 am #

Last week I saw the most silky, fabulous brown dancing leather coat… it looked italianish, informal, chic and extremely expensive. So I just reminded myself I am a vegetarian now trying not even to WEAR meat, or whatever wraps it.

19. Tk March 13, 2008 at 11:42 am #

There was a ginko-print DvF wrap dress that I coveted before I had the means to save up for a splurgy purchase of that nature. It was so beautiful and effortless, in this beautiful cobalt with white ginko fans, and I wanted it, but to no avail. And then when I was visiting NYC I saw a woman wearing it. Unfortunately, she looked very angular and angry and slightly orange, like a woman who spends too much time at the gym because she “has” to, not because she wants to. Alas!

20. La Petite Acadienne March 13, 2008 at 12:28 pm #

I used to work with a girl who always looked so put-together. It was a casual call centre, and most people were in jeans and t-shirts, and she’d be wearing (as an example), a darling patterned top, with perfectly-fitting trousers that picked up the colour in the top, and then coordinated shoes. She was also the type who would eat fresh mango slices on her break and offer you some. I would have hated her if she wasn’t so nice.

21. Sleepy Miranda March 13, 2008 at 1:13 pm #

Ooooh … I West Coast Swing, and when I go out dancing, there is a girl who comes every week wearing the most awesome clothes. Funky layered tops, pretty embellished jeans, cute accessories. What’s really crazy is I think that she MAKES most of these items. Seriously, it is beyond belief. She has an etsy shop and is really crafty – I’m just so impressed with it all that I can’t even be jealous. Fantastic, seriously.

22. funoozer March 13, 2008 at 2:59 pm #

OOOO, my sister in law has a chocolate brown faux shirling coat with a shawl collar. She has a perfect honey-blonde bob and round brown eyes, and all I can say is my brother scored big time when he found her.

23. funoozer March 13, 2008 at 3:41 pm #

duh, SHEARLING coat

24. erika March 13, 2008 at 5:08 pm #

Every time Beth Ditto is all done up I practically die of jealousy for wanting her outfits.

25. Daniela March 13, 2008 at 8:16 pm #

In Chicago, I saw a woman wearing a lovely robin’s egg blue trench with khaki colored wide leg wool pants, and bright blue heels (the shape said Manolo) carrying a bag from Chanel.

Her outfit was killer though… killer.

26. zaftig March 14, 2008 at 10:43 pm #

At the risk of sounding vain? This morning, when I looked in the mirror! I just bought this black sheath dress that is the BEST FITTING item of clothing I’ve ever owned. Incredibly flattering… paired with 4 inch black suede pumps and a yellow, grey and black trapeze jacket. Compliments out the ying yang, folks!

27. fantasmicalfrankie March 16, 2008 at 8:48 pm #

I have really, really unusual taste in clothes, so it’s really kind of hard for me to care about what most people are wearing. However, it was a guy who was wearing it. It was a tight-fitting pink satin asian-inspired brocade vest. It helped he was hot, but the vest, wow.

Not to brag, but I get compliments *all of the time*. Most recently was on a vintage necklace that is a brass color, with a little monk and dragons with fake pearls and emeralds. Kind of odd, but awesome at the same time.

28. littlem April 17, 2008 at 2:27 am #

I have a friend – she is an elder friend of the family – and it’s not about stealing any one outfit, but stealing her brain.

Their family unit is very well to do (Chagall in the living room), so she can afford authentic couture, but never wears it unless to a black tie event or spousal presentation (the family patriarch is an Ivy League prof) or some other similar event. In casual, she wears Chicos (always nice, always the perfect length for her petite frame. She’s like five feet, and a size 0) a lot.

And I’m sure she’s had her colors done.

But she always wears the perfect outfit for the event and her coloring. ALWAYS.

And she never puts a foot wrong. Never. Ever. Ever.

EVER.

She’s always generous with style tips, but I, like, just want to borrow a gene or extract some DNA or something. ‘Cause I don’t think I’ll ever get it that right this lifetime.