Something Fishy About That Apology | Manolo for the Big Girl

Something Fishy About That Apology

Darlins, there are two things a Southern Lady of Breeding does better than anyone, and lying like a dog –particularly in epistolary form as learned from years of writing diabetes-inducing thank-you notes at the slightest provocation– is the other one.

As you might have guessed yesterday’s apology and the recommended Crocs of the day before were both parts of an April Fool’s hoax. The Manolo was in on it, as were a few of my beloved internet pals who so graciously planted comments of outrage at my request. Only one thing…I forgot to tell Francesca!

A big shout out to Gemdiva who was the first one to spot that Joy Yaupassan, the underhanded marketing coordinator, was actually “Joyeux Poisson” a slang version of the traditional French April Fool’s Day saying “Joyeux Poisson d’Avril!”

Additionally, someone else spotted the amount of money I supposedly took from the evil Croc-peddlers was approximately $401.08. The monetary equivalent of yesterday’s date. Well done there!

If I could be seriously serious for a moment, I’m actually very touched at how forgiving and sweet many of you were. It’s you who make Manolo for the Big Girl superfantastic (well partially, I’m pretty damn good myself) and it’s good to know that if I ever do turn to a life of questionable journalistic integrity, you all have got my back.

As for the rest of you who called for my head, back off. You’ll get my job when you pry my Prada’s off my cold, dead (size 42 if you’re wondering, Miuccia) feet.

And now, because it’s traditional to wear fish on April Fool’s Day, I think all of you who were fooled by my little ruse should go out and buy these.

Fishy Footwear from Giuseppe Zanotti

Yet another over-the-top offering from our pal Giuseppe Zanotti who might be playing a little battuta on us, himself.

16 Responses to “Something Fishy About That Apology”

1. Leah April 2, 2008 at 10:17 am #

Wahoo!!! I oscillated between thinking it was a joke and believing it was real ALL NIGHT! (and every now and then I marveled at how much a blog affected me – wow…) I thought about commenting, but what would I say? There was a good chance I would look like a fool, which I do often enough.

Well played. You got me. :-)

2. Chaser April 2, 2008 at 10:28 am #

Do those of us who were not fooled get to buy shoes, too?

3. Melissa B. April 2, 2008 at 11:54 am #

I knew it! I knew you wouldn’t accept money from the Crocs people!

But should I still do penance for believing for that you were serious in your endorsement of the canvas Crocs a few days back? I think I should. Off to Zappos with me.

4. Screaming Madre April 2, 2008 at 12:10 pm #

I wish I could match your eloquence and that of your many fans. From my heart: I don’t mind being fooled. I’m just so relieved and filled with admiration: you do have a great talent for lying, and are indeed super-fabulous!

5. AmazonAngelle April 2, 2008 at 12:12 pm #

Yay! I knew you could not be bought by the evils that is Crocs! I had faith in you!

6. frumpiefox April 2, 2008 at 12:19 pm #

Is it wrong for me to really love those fishy shoes? ‘Cause I do….

7. Monica the tiara chick April 2, 2008 at 12:22 pm #

Last night I put Joy’s name through an anagram engine on the internet because I knew that had to be one of the clues. Nothing came up that made sense. Silly me, it wasn’t designed to spell things in French! However, a Google search turned up nothing on Ms. Joy except your blog entry, so I had suspicions nonetheless. What can I say, call me Nancy Drew the Tiara Chick. Well done, Plumcake!

8. Elaine April 2, 2008 at 12:33 pm #

Very nicely done. :)

9. Jalilifer April 2, 2008 at 12:53 pm #

I was not fooled, and I do not wear Crocs. Do I win a prize?

10. Babs April 2, 2008 at 3:09 pm #

*golf clap*

Well played, Mme Francesca!!

11. raincoaster April 2, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

I would wear the HELL out of those, but only to sushi restaurants and riverboat casinos.

12. raincoaster April 3, 2008 at 5:22 am #

Or lesbian bars, come to think of it. They’d totally work for lesbian bars.

13. sara April 3, 2008 at 11:33 am #

I see. So I’m the only wretch who has truly f-ed up, been reprimanded, humiliatingly apologized, shaken it off, learned my lesson, and gotten back on the horse? Huh.

14. marjorie April 4, 2008 at 5:06 pm #

sara, i’ve been there!

but like the tiara chick, i googled joy’s name (nada) and then ran it thru the anagram server (hmm, a anus yaps? a anus PAYS? colorful and somewhat apt, but unlikely)! wish i’d been clever enuf to catch the “joyeux poisson.”

and more seriously…i didn’t know the manoloverse’s policy on freebies and payola, and i’m glad to have learned it. so many blogs are buy-able and don’t disclose that info.

15. amy April 5, 2008 at 2:52 pm #