Bra reminder and news | Manolo for the Big Girl

Bra reminder and news

Oh, my goodness! Can you believe this blog has been going for 9 months? It feels like yesterday that Plumcake and I dove into the wonderful, wide world of plus-size clothing here at the Manolo network. And what a superfantastic trip it has been!

This means that it has been 9 months since Francesca reminded you to consider carefully whether it is time for you to replace your bras. Much can happen in 9 months! If a baby can gestate in 9 months, that is plenty of time for your bras to stretch out, sag, and gap. It is enough time for you to gain or lose a few pounds and now need a new size.

So, start shopping!

If you are racktastic and need a hard-to-find bra size, Francesca recommends that you start with BiggerBras.com and Bravissimo.

Of course there is also the Cacique line at Lane Bryant, the ONEsexy bra collection at Avenue, and the full-figure department at Frederick’s of Hollywood! Mmmm!

And now — hat tip to our internet friend Carol for bringing this to our attention — Big Singer Jill Scott has created a bra brand of her own in partnership with Ashley Stewart. The “Butterfly Bra” not only has wide, gel-filled shoulder straps but also two support bands in the back and — Francesca’s favorite feature — underwires filled with gel. No more underwires cutting into the delicate flesh of the Big Girl! Hallelujah!

Take care of those girls!

xoxo

15 Responses to “Bra reminder and news”

1. Karen April 22, 2008 at 11:22 am #

Oh, I so hope they offer that Butterfly Bra in smaller cup sizes, too. I’m a 42 B-C but have the same problems with side and back bulges. Underwire still digs into the flesh that spills over the top where my armpit meets my chest. Straps around my torso that are snug enough to provide support then create unhappy lumps on my back. I’m mercifully free of the shoulder issues, but would LOVE to try these bras to solve the other problems.

2. Shauna April 22, 2008 at 12:18 pm #

May I suggest this one?

Goes up to an H cup. I recently bought it and it is extremely comfortable. The cup does indeed have full coverage, which to me is always a good thing!

3. Becky April 22, 2008 at 1:38 pm #

Mini lecture: if your bra straps are digging into your shoulders to the extent that you need gel straps, your bra probably does not fit correctly. The shoulder straps should not be holding up the weight of your breasts, the band should be doing that. The straps are for shaping your breasts only. If the band is not providing support, either the band is too loose (very common) or the bra is not supportive enough for your particular breasts. Gel underwire sounds intriguing though!

Figleaves.com is another really good site for hard to find sized bras.

4. Maura April 22, 2008 at 1:55 pm #

Is the “Butterfly Bra” actually for sale? The dual straps on the back look really good for holding up big cups — I’d love to try it on and see how it feels.

5. Margo April 22, 2008 at 3:56 pm #

I didn’t think Jill Scott could be more awesome, but Lo! It is so.

I just got a bra fitting, for the first time in, ooooh, the 21st century, and it’s been quietly revolutionary. (Robyn in Lambton Quay Farmers, Wellington peeps. She’s liek teh Annie Sullivan of NZ lingerie – a quiet miracle worker).

6. Joelle April 22, 2008 at 4:28 pm #

Ugh, as a younger big girl with small boobs I envy those who have those amazingly big breasts.

Its not fair! I thought fuller-figured ladies were supposed to have big boobs.

7. french April 22, 2008 at 7:55 pm #

Another super-fantastic site for the bra shopping is Bare Necessities. They have an extremely wide range of sizes, and many wonderful styles – for both the big girl and the small girl :)

8. KES April 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm #

For shame… I’m currently wearing a bra that’s at least four years old, but I keep putting the inevitable off. Thanks for the reminder.

9. littlem April 23, 2008 at 12:28 am #

We keess you — mwah — and pay tribute.

Joelle, from a fellow (former!) triangle, padding and Pilates are your friends.

10. Margo April 23, 2008 at 4:06 pm #

Joelle: trust me, and my top-heavy brethren, it’s often more hassle than you’d think. I always wanted to be at least two cups smaller, and I’m not that big – DD. What I’d do to be able to go to the gym/for a run without two industrial bras on.

11. Lysana April 23, 2008 at 7:31 pm #

@Becky: Even with properly fitting bras, the shoulder straps get annoying fast sometimes. The gel cushion would just make them extra-comfy.

12. Violet April 23, 2008 at 10:03 pm #

So what do you do when you do get a well fitted bra with a correctly supportive band — and the band cuts cruelly into your side flesh? Any looser a band and it’d be classic wrong with the straps doing all the hoisting. Woe.

–Another DD.

13. kristin April 25, 2008 at 5:56 pm #

H here. I just found that out a couple of months ago when I went for my very first real bra fitting (i.e. not the saleswoman at LB draping a tape around my clothed breasts). Lo and behold, I am NOT a 46 DD, but a 40 H!

My straps no longer dig into my shoulders. And that myth of a bra lying against your breastbone? It’s not a myth! Yay!

14. Roberta S April 25, 2008 at 7:24 pm #

Kristin I hear ya! I was pleasntly surprised to find myself in a 38 or 40H (depending on manufacturer) after going to the highend bra fit store. Those other places alas did me no justice for years. Band to big and cups too small. I have since tried to purchase a bra from LB in my Euro size only to find the bra too large. A bunch of us girlfriends went and when all our sizes were shared I said H is for hot.

15. Jasmine August 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm #

I heavily recommend Change of Scandinavia: http://www.nowthatslingerie.com/en/change_of_scandinavia.php for stylish, extremely comfortable, and versatile bras with sizes up to I! I definitely recommend them to everyone here; they are super high quality!