The Triumphant Return of Moon Boot Monday! | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Triumphant Return of Moon Boot Monday!

Never let it be said that Manolo for the Big Girl doesn’t care about your needs. We know that most if not ALL of you at one time or another have pulled your hair, rent your garments and moaned “O IF ONLY I had a pair of laughably expensive be-logo’ed moon boots conceived from an unholy union between Run DMC’s old Adidas Superstars and the aged and dessicated hide of Snuffleupagus’s notoriously round-heeled great grandmother, Alma Jean! WHY IS LIFE SO HARD?”

Well, here you go:

It’s about YOUR needs, baby

What can I say? We’re givers.

16 Responses to “The Triumphant Return of Moon Boot Monday!”

1. Twistie May 19, 2008 at 12:01 pm #

MY EYES! DEAR GOD, MY EYES!

2. Bridey May 19, 2008 at 12:16 pm #

The link says “grey fur,” not faux fur, so presumably some luckless critter actually died for these things. But whose pelt might it be? Rabbit? Deer? Squirrel? The color suggests a particularly hirsute rat, but perhaps that’s unlikely.

3. Jennie May 19, 2008 at 12:45 pm #

So retro! Me cavewoman go kill furry thing. Wrap hides on feets. Invent knot. Matches loin cloth Ugh man gave…

4. TropicalChrome May 19, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

I live in an area with a lot of winter. I could see wearing something like those for tromping about to the grocery store in 2 feet of snow.

But as fashion? Never.

5. Geogrrl May 19, 2008 at 1:01 pm #

Good Lord. If I want mukluks, I’ll get real ones. Real mukluks, BTW are a thousand times better looking than those monstrosities.

6. Nemtynakht May 19, 2008 at 1:39 pm #

And they’re on sale. Wow. Who could resist.

Oh, wait — I could, for one.

7. Liz B. May 19, 2008 at 2:43 pm #

Ow. My pancreas.

8. Miss P May 19, 2008 at 4:25 pm #

Oh my, the weather forecaster on the radio just said that the temp. would reach 112 here today. Just looking at these makes me feel hotter than I already am. That is without including the sizzling of my corneas as they look at those boots. It is like an accident, one cannot help but look with horrified facination.

9. AmazonAngelle May 20, 2008 at 12:13 am #

These look like someone strapped together some Ewok hides…it’s awful! Their awful!

10. Twistie May 20, 2008 at 12:49 am #

AmazonAngelle, I wouldn’t mind the wholesale slaughter of Ewoks…but do they have to actually use the hides?

11. Chaser May 20, 2008 at 1:48 am #

Hate.

12. boots May 20, 2008 at 8:31 am #

If only this were two summers ago. I’d wear those around New York with a flippy sundress and be the height of fashion.

13. rabrab May 20, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

I will confess, I own (and love) a pair of moon boots.

They are pink, Baffins, rated to 20 below, waterproof, comfortable, and positively delightful when I’m going to be out in cold wet weather for an extended time.

What they are *not* is designer, nearly $300 (on sale from nearly $500!), stylish, or decorated with fur.

What else they are is “in their box in the storage closet roughly 360 days out of the year.”

But I do live in snow country, where it isn’t uncommon for temperatures to drop well below zero, or for us to get 8 inches of snow, followed by a long enough thaw for it to turn into two inches of slush, followed by another hard freeze to make it two inches of rough ice, then get another 6 inches of snow on top of that ice. In that case? Moon boots ROCK. These, however, are neither practical nor attractive.

Seriously, there are times and places for practicality to outweigh style; walking shoes and bad-weather clothing (boots included) are two of them, as far as I’m concerned. During snowy, cold winters, I’m much more concerned with keeping my feet warm and dry, and my footing solid. That means no high or skinny heels, suede or pointy toes, lugged soles, and room for a pair of socks.

14. ChaChaHeels May 21, 2008 at 9:24 am #

Aren’t Mondays bad enough? This feature does not need to recur.

15. daisyj May 21, 2008 at 1:17 pm #

Rabrab, I don’t think anyone is mocking these just because they’re moon boots. After all, we all know that extreme weather conditions can require for extreme footwear, and in those cases you just have to make the best of it. If the situation calls for hip waders, then hip waders you must have, and godspeed to you. On the other hand, if Moschino tries to come out with bright-green ostrich skin hip waders with silk tassels and rhinestone detailing and sell them for three thousand dollars, then we mock.

16. Maria Shaun May 22, 2008 at 7:23 am #

They are lookoing nice and i want to share this thing with you people i.e
    If you’re going to a party, a wedding or simply going to work you need to find the court shoes. Ladies Shoes, Ladies Canvas Boots, Womens Sandals, Patent Shoes , Peep Toe Shoes, High Heel Cheap Shoes Online is the latest selection of Garageshoes, with added glamour & sparkle to accompany your evening dress. Medium heel shoes are also available online & are often more practical for day-to-day usage around the office.