A Note from Plumcake to Houston and Galveston | Manolo for the Big Girl

A Note from Plumcake to Houston and Galveston

Y’all. If you live in a mandatory evacuation zone and haven’t yet left for higher ground you need to get the hell out while you still can.  Seriously.  Don’t make rescue workers risk their lives for you because you’re stubborn.  If you need a place to stay, email me at plumcake@shoeblogs.com and I can make arrangements for you in Austin. I mean it.

Do you know what happens to people who die in storms when they should have evacuated? They have to spend their afterlife in Juicy Couture.

Don’t let that happen. Email me.I love all my readers –yes, even the one who couldn’t take the nun joke– and I will be mightily pissed if any of you die.

11 Responses to “A Note from Plumcake to Houston and Galveston”

1. Liz B. September 12, 2008 at 6:04 pm #

Plumcake –

It’s been said before, but it bears repeating. You totally rule.

2. Ashe Mischief September 12, 2008 at 6:13 pm #

As a former NOLA girl (displaced by Katrina), it is wonderful to see this generosity at the Manolo sites. Thank you, Plumcake, for being so delightful and wonderful, and taking care of strangers.

More people need to remember to do that.

3. me September 12, 2008 at 6:17 pm #

Why won’t people evacuate?!?! I live in Illinois and we’ve been getting insane downpours for the past hour or so, which, I believe, has been attributed to Ike. Therefore, I know it’s much, MUCH worse in Galveston and Houston. Seriously, please save yourselves and your families!

4. Sarah September 12, 2008 at 11:18 pm #

I’m in Austin, too… the city has thrown their webpage into hurricane evacuee support mode. Check it out for information on shelters, etc.

5. Despina September 12, 2008 at 11:28 pm #

Greetings from fully-hunkered-down Casa Despina in lovely West Houston (Eldridge & I-10), home of moi, hubby, and one very nervous little beagle.

We’re getting some stiff breezes, but power is still live and we’ve barely had more than a drizzle. That will be changing shortly, but, to quote the unofficial motto of the state of Texas, “Bring it.”

Plumcake, you are a true gem of a lady for offering your personal help to total strangers. Next time you find yourself in Houston: You and me. Hotel Ikon. Manhattans. Plan on it.

Take care, Your Fabulousness! Mmmmmmmm-wah!

6. Leah September 13, 2008 at 12:30 am #

You’re amazing, for serious.

DC=Drinks on me.

7. harriet September 13, 2008 at 1:58 am #

you’re basically spectacular.
    if you’re ever in new zealand, i’m buying a lot of drinks.

8. Cat September 14, 2008 at 1:41 am #

I was mightily relieved to hear from my brother in Houston that he and his family suffered little more than a 14-hour power outage, some gutter and shingle damage, and some uprooted banana trees which ended up in their swimming pool. I hope that all of the MFTBG readers in the area fared similarly well!

9. SusanC September 15, 2008 at 12:03 am #

Plumcake, I’m taking you up on your offer when the big one hits San Fran. Besides, your closet and shoe shelf is on my top 10 of places to see before I die.

10. De September 15, 2008 at 8:14 am #

I too an in Austin (and enjoyed taking The Houston Grandmere out to eat yesterday as she was in town for the duration of Ike’s passing). My parents, however, live an hour (at most) North of Houston.

To quote my father “our walls are made of stone, our roof is made of metal. I am 100% sure we’ll be fine.” And they were – didn’t even lose power. The cat was annoyed at all the rain, but she’ll get over it.

But it is wonderful to see, for the folks who *did* need to get out (like said Gran’mama), that Austin was here with open arms. And open bars (we had a mini Hurricane Party with friends out at Karaoke :D)…

11. Tellicherry September 20, 2008 at 7:39 pm #

Whoo hoo! Made it through Ike. My home is still standing though I can’t say the same for others in my bayside community. Folks, the devastation is massive and I don’t think this is getting national coverage. If you’re interested, go to http://www.chron.com. Over a million people still without power and many are without water. FEMA is sucking donkey balls, as usual.