The Big Question: Not Without My Pradas Edition | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Big Question: Not Without My Pradas Edition

I once knew my relationship with an ex was in trouble when someone asked me if I had to choose between my then-boyfriend and my Dior Anniversary pumps and my immediate answer was a scandalized “but those are my shoes!

Dior Anniversary PumpsToday Miss Plumcake wants to know:

If your home was being attacked by, say a plague of locusts, could only rescue one piece of your wardrobe what would it be? Why?

22 Responses to “The Big Question: Not Without My Pradas Edition”

1. Ponytail September 24, 2008 at 4:40 pm #

My Evans stretch bootleg jeans. Comfortable without being baggy and a waist that hits in the right place. I should have bought a lifetime’s worth.

2. JC September 24, 2008 at 5:58 pm #

Does jewelry count as part of my wardrobe? If so then it would be my Frey Wille watch (although I guess I could always go back to Vienna to get another). If it’s got to be clothes, it would be the black dress I wore for my senior recital 7 years ago which unbeliveably still fits and looks good on me.

3. Despina September 24, 2008 at 6:34 pm #

My Naughty Monkeys!

4. Genevieve September 24, 2008 at 7:15 pm #

My forest green suede Charles David boots. Mmmm.

5. Phyllis September 24, 2008 at 7:36 pm #

My trouser jeans from Target. They fit great, perfect length, perfect slash pockets that don’t gap.

6. Twistie September 24, 2008 at 8:32 pm #

My Steven Overstreet Guenivere gown. It’s a gorgeous greyish, mauvish color velvet underdyed with a spectacular garnet red. It laces up the front so I can wear it primly pulled to, or saucily open nearly down to my belly button. But even when I do wear it open, it’s still so regal that people don’t mess with me. On the other hand, when I first tried it on, a complete stranger wolf whistled in appreciation.

Oh yes, and it’s machine washable and driable. Sometimes I wear it around the house just because I wake up feeling awesome…or in need of feeling awesome.

But if I had time for two things I would have to go back for either my purple suede highwayman’s coat or my bitchin tapestry boots.

7. KES September 24, 2008 at 8:47 pm #

Well, I’m going to assume that jewelry isn’t included, and I won’t count my grandmother’s wedding dress (soon to be mine) as part of the scenario, so that brings it down to my peasant shirt I bought in Romania. It is so pretty and feminine and soft, and my fiance LOVES it.

8. Lil September 24, 2008 at 10:07 pm #

My wedding dress. My sister, a budding designer and custom seamstress, made it just for me (taking my vows at 6 months pregnant, I needed something other than your typical white lace-encrusted number). Though I may never wear it again, I cherish each stitch she made by hand, the careful details she put into it, and the love that I feel each time I peek at it in the back of my closet.

9. Leslie September 24, 2008 at 11:08 pm #

My Jeffery Campbell green velvet peeptoe wedges that I wore on my wedding day. They’re comfortable, they’re unique and positively gorgeous.

10. Jennie September 25, 2008 at 12:33 am #

Having been overwhelmed by indecision, the locusts have nibbled my hair and skin off. No such thing as one item. It’s the complete outfit that makes the look, clothes, shoes, jewelry, purse, accessories. I am in a waste land having given all to protect all…Thank goodness for plastics and protections!

11. Mel September 25, 2008 at 8:10 am #

My Lisa International zebra striped short trench coat. No matter what I wear under it, the cinched waist and thigh length give me a nice silhouette and dress me up. A pair of red pumps and I’m out the door.

12. demjen209 September 25, 2008 at 9:09 am #

My red plaid ballet flats, which I bought at a street fair in Brussels for 15 Euro. They are the most comfortable pair of flats I own and I am always complemented on them – at which point I get to tell the complimenter that I got them in Brussels for 15 Euro!

13. Fashionfrenzy September 25, 2008 at 9:54 am #

My french blue Balenciaga handbag!!

14. Monica the tiara chick September 25, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

My 1960’s vintage peacock blue velvet coat. I got it at a vintage fashion expo a few years ago where the clothes were jammed together like reams of paper, and yet a 1/2″ sliver of the coat managed to poke out and glow at me like a beacon. When I put it on, random strangers were stopping on the convention hall floor to tell me to buy the coat. I took my engagement pictures in it and plan to take it as my coat on my wedding day.

15. daisyj September 25, 2008 at 1:43 pm #

My green leather four-pocket Marc Jacobs purse. Obscenely expensive, but so fabulous I can hardly stand it. I once got a compliment on it from the girl searching bags on the way into a concert, and I figure, if anyone knows purses, it’s going to be her.

16. La Petite Acadienne September 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm #

I’d rescue only my insurance papers, and then use the money for a new wardrobe! (There really isn’t anything in my wardrobe that I’d miss — it’s all pretty much mass-market stuff.)

17. emmme September 25, 2008 at 3:28 pm #

One item, one item…this is hard! leaning toward my perfect black waist cinching belt that would make even a shapeless t-shirt look hot, but this is a real sophie’s choice.

18. Elaine September 25, 2008 at 4:38 pm #

One item is so very hard. I think if I was in my wardrobe I’d be able to grab a stack of hangers rather than stand there looking for my one most treasured item, which gives me hope. But to answer the question, I’d have to pick a 1940s 2-piece suit I inherited from my Granny. It looks lovely on me and has high sentimental value.

19. supasam September 25, 2008 at 8:04 pm #

Hum… hard question. It’s between my grosgrain ribbon and leather Cole Haan wedges (so comfortable, so pretty), my Fathers pilot jacket from the Korean war or my mint and black python sandals… though I usually keep my jacket by the door and not technically in my wardrobe… hummmm

20. JaneC September 25, 2008 at 8:15 pm #

I would choose the cloak I made when I was 14, with help from my mother. It’s full length with a hood, made of dark green wool with copper-colored silk/synthetic lining. Not an item I wear often, but it’s unique and has sentimental value. I paid for all the fabric (nearly $300 worth) with money I made playing the harp–which, incidentally, is usually what I wear the cloak for these days.

21. TeleriB September 26, 2008 at 7:55 am #

I would have said my Lucchese boots, if I still had my Lucchese boots. *sniff* But I do plan to buy a new pair, just as soon as the airline reimburses me for losing them!

Yesterday, I said my doehide tunic (although the post seems to have been eaten by the aether) but this morning it was chill enough that I grabbed the 3/4 length brown leather trenchcoat.. I forgot how much I love this coat! I would not have expected to be able to carry off a trench (I’m short and wide), but I love how it looks on me. Plus, I got it at a thrift store and have no idea where I’d find another like it!

22. Dazie September 30, 2008 at 10:16 pm #

My Sail Racing 2001-2002 Volvo Ocean Race coat. Broken zipper and all. I wear it continually during fall, winter and spring, so it’ll probably be close to the top of the heap anyway, when the locusts come.

I will cry when it finally goes to its reward.