Velvet Crush | Manolo for the Big Girl

Velvet Crush

Okay it’s fall and we need to talk about velvet. Velvet is a tricky fabric for big girls because we must constantly fight the battle against appearing over-ripe. Those lovely fleshy curves can go from softly romantic to chubbiest girl at the Tombstone Bordello.

Case in point:

Loulou de la Falaise velvet dress
This here is what we call A Festival of No.

If you’re going to do velvet, and by all means velvet it up, you would do well to avoid the flowy dresses and the *shudder* broomstick skirts in favor of something more tailored. A velvet blazer is a staple that adds a bit of romance without putting you on the Stevie Nicks Express nonstop to Tragic Junction.

You can go traditional with a low-nap casual blazer for day, I like this either worn traditional WASP style with a tissue-weight cashmere sweater and a pair of trousers or a little more interestingly with a rock t-shirt and a pair of dark rinse (no rhinestones, please) jeans and boots.

velvet blazer

For our not-especially-racky pear pals, this prosh shrunken jacket nips you in just exactly where you want to be nipped. And who doesn’t love a little peplum action?

Shrunken jacketShrunken jacket back view

and lest we forget our applesque friends, I am completely digging this A.B.S. Allen Schwartz velvet shrug. I love the length, I love the front detailing. I love the slighty-stand-up-but-not-Evil-Queen (although I’m all for Evil Queen every once in a while) collar. This is a great solution to sleeveless dresses if you feel baring arms isn’t right.

Velvet shrug

This is also available in burgundy.

All items, even the horrible whorehouse one, are available for well under $100!

10 Responses to “Velvet Crush”

1. Oromin October 14, 2008 at 8:04 pm #

I’ve definitely rocked velvet broomstick skirts before and will continue to do so, but my style is most definitely on the bohemian side of things. (Floor length gauzy indian cotton skirts are my signature item of clothing, and no, I did not live through the 70’s.)

2. Oromin October 14, 2008 at 8:05 pm #

But I must say, I do love those last two jackets. Delicious!

3. Bree October 14, 2008 at 8:21 pm #

I put away my velvet for good. I’ll be selling it all at a yard sale Saturday. There’s nothing wrong with it, but I’ve moved on to other fabrics and styles.

The top dress I’d wear as a Halloween costume, or if it was Stevie Nicks night at karaoke. ;-)

4. Twistie October 14, 2008 at 10:03 pm #

(looks at Boho crushed velvet skirt)

I loves me some velvet.

5. AmelieWannabe October 15, 2008 at 5:02 am #

My immediate thought when I saw the broomstick skirt comment was, “What will Twistie have to say about that?” My thoughts on velvet… more like velveeta ’cause it’s cheesy!

6. demjen209 October 15, 2008 at 9:08 am #

I think I will be attempting to incorporate “festival of no” into my vocabulary now.

7. SusanC October 15, 2008 at 12:56 pm #

I save velvet for holiday party dresses. But then, I have a tan dog that sheds hair like there’s no tomorrow. Wearing velvet around her would turn me into a yeti.

As always, Plumcake rules.

8. Margo October 16, 2008 at 1:29 am #

I’d rather look like the chubbiest girl at the bordello than look like Meat Loaf in Fight Club, which is what those velvet blazers would do for me. Not all Big Girls look or feel good in man tailored clothes!

9. Z. October 16, 2008 at 9:52 pm #

Tsk. I hope you are not implying there is something wrong with La Nicks’ velvet, Ms. Plumcake. Mama just turned 60 and she can rock that velvet like nobody’s business (barring some unfortunate incidents in the late 80s/early 90s).

I’m 26 and I don’t look that good.

10. Pop Ayling February 17, 2009 at 4:30 pm #