The Search for the Work-Appropriate Wall Calendar | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Search for the Work-Appropriate Wall Calendar

It is a new year, and Francesca has been seeking a 2009 wall calendar for the office.

This is not as easy as it sounds, as Francesca believes that one’s choice of wall calendar says as much of one as, well, one’s choice of clothes.

And though there is a calendar for every whim and fancy, not every whim and fancy is work appropriate, we understand? (Yes, we all understand.)

Francesca spent hours in the search for a calendar which is:

• Visually interesting
  • Not cutesy (nothing says “please be condescending to me” like a Bichon Frise puppies wall calendar in one’s cubicle)
  • Not “inspiring” or “motivational” or otherwise too happy to see on a Monday morning.
  • Not NSFW.
  • Not feminist biotchy
  • Not “soothing,” because who are we kidding?
  • Not a subtley ironic statement about the workplace which no one else will understand.
  • Not putting pictures of chocolate in my face all day.
  • Interesting enough to be appealing, but not so interesting that visitors to Francesca’s office remember the calendar more than they remember what she has to say. (Again, the clothes analogy: the point is not for the clothes to look good, but for the wearer to look good.)
  • Not trying too hard. Like the clothes, the office wall calendar must appear to be effortless though it took all day to find.

Francesca has narrowed it down to three choices:

Coffee Talk 2009 Wall Calendar

(Retro chic)

Vintage World Maps 2009 Calendar

(Francesca loves vintage maps!)

Marc Chagall 2009 Wall Calendar

What say you, dear readers?

25 Responses to “The Search for the Work-Appropriate Wall Calendar”

1. JR January 9, 2009 at 8:49 am #

I am all about the vintage maps.

For work, I tend to use page-a-day calendars because I don’t really have a good place to hang a wall calendar. Last year I had a fun Cranium one. I still haven’t gotten this year’s yet, but I think I might try to find another Cranium calendar.

2. gina January 9, 2009 at 9:46 am #

definitely the maps.

3. sarcozona January 9, 2009 at 11:02 am #

I vote maps too!

4. Lunakitsch January 9, 2009 at 11:11 am #

Along the lines of the Coffee Talk one, I’m a big fan of Anne Taintor (http://www.annetaintor.com). Sometimes the sayings on them are a little too risque, but this year’s calendar is fine. So fine, in fact, I feel safe hanging it on my classroom wall.

5. La Petite Acadienne January 9, 2009 at 11:19 am #

Vintage maps are great. My calendar last year was neat — it was by Steven N. Meyers and he basically takes x-ray photographs of flowers. So the calendar was pretty, but quirky enough to be interesting.

We moved offices this year, so I’m in the same boat as JR. I’ll have to find myself an interesting desk calendar.

6. Jenny January 9, 2009 at 11:20 am #

Go with the maps. Very professional looking, yet will also inspire you to work hard so you can take vacations to exotic places! Bonus points if you put thumbtacks on all the places you want to visit. =)

7. Raymond January 9, 2009 at 11:43 am #

I would go with the vintage maps. It would be appropriate for the office, and you can also use it as escapism dreaming of fantastic destinations while working the day away.

8. ChloeMireille January 9, 2009 at 11:49 am #

I dunno, I’m kind of drawn to the Chagall calendar. I have this silly habit of disassembling them, scanning the pictures, and using them as desktop wallpaper the following year.

Which reminds me, I still need to take apart my Escher calendar from 2 years ago.

9. Mimi Stratton January 9, 2009 at 12:08 pm #

Another suggestion: Audrey Hepburn 2009

10. Sidian January 9, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

The Maps.

Although I am also awfully fond of Weird Fruit. That one is more dependent upon office environment though.

11. CubicleDrone January 9, 2009 at 1:45 pm #

My pick this year is the Happy Bunny calendar. But then, I’m disgruntled…

12. K.Dell January 9, 2009 at 1:55 pm #

I’m very fond of vintage maps, but if you’re going to go that route, I say kick it up a notch and buy a Cavallini wall calendar, very chic.

13. Wendy January 9, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

Vintage Maps, all the way! I’ve had that calendar (or variations thereon) a number of times. I love maps. Vintage maps even moreso.

14. daisyj January 9, 2009 at 3:14 pm #

I don’t know about what you should do, but thanks for helping me find my calendar for this year!: http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Taintor-2009-Wall-Calendar/dp/0811863131/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

15. Jane H. January 9, 2009 at 6:02 pm #

I work in the aviation industry and my company gives us a calendar we produce of photos of airplanes which is what we can hang on our walls. On my own I might be more inclined to the Anne Taintor or Coffee Talk.

16. oliviacw January 9, 2009 at 6:17 pm #

Not that Chagall isn’t fabulous, but I’d go with the vintage maps – great for all occasions!

17. jinnan-tonnyx January 9, 2009 at 9:02 pm #

May I suggest the 2009 Mad Men calendar?

18. Jessica January 9, 2009 at 9:03 pm #

Check out despair.com. It is wonderfully un-inspirational.

19. Peaches January 9, 2009 at 9:17 pm #

I think a charity calendar is perfect. Maybe humane society. Im a fan of the stunning Greenpeace whale calendars.

20. melly January 10, 2009 at 10:10 am #

i use deviantart for user-submitted photography calendars and can always find a beautifully perfect calendar that i’m 99% sure no one else will have or even have ever seen.

21. Fabrisse January 10, 2009 at 1:00 pm #

The posters here can come as a calendar. It’s cool. It’s different. And it does have that rarity value. *G*

22. Belle January 11, 2009 at 3:31 am #

Hard choice!

Here’s a link to a free, downloadable calendar by Mibo… print it out, spend a couple bucks at Kinko’s having it bound, and voila!

23. LRascal January 12, 2009 at 1:49 am #

If I had to choose, I’d go with the maps because I’m a great, big cartography nerd. However, I’ve been buying and giving these calendars out for years:

They’re filled with Nikki McClure’s beautiful papercut prints and are the best sorts of things to have to stare at day in and day out.

24. Enrique Ibanez February 17, 2009 at 9:57 pm #

Hey!. I am going to check it, since I saw a comment in another site regarding \”Manolo for the Big Girl!\”. Someone related to chocolate sayings. Thanks anyway.

25. Frederika Mirtshe February 19, 2009 at 8:34 am #

Hi there. Not totally agree with you, but you just gave me an idea for a new eBook regarding \”Manolo for the Big Girl!\”. It is related to chocolate computer backgrounds. Thanks.