It is a new year, and Francesca has been seeking a 2009 wall calendar for the office.
This is not as easy as it sounds, as Francesca believes that one’s choice of wall calendar says as much of one as, well, one’s choice of clothes.
And though there is a calendar for every whim and fancy, not every whim and fancy is work appropriate, we understand? (Yes, we all understand.)
Francesca spent hours in the search for a calendar which is:
- Visually interesting
- Not cutesy (nothing says “please be condescending to me” like a Bichon Frise puppies wall calendar in one’s cubicle)
- Not “inspiring” or “motivational” or otherwise too happy to see on a Monday morning.
- Not NSFW.
- Not feminist biotchy
- Not “soothing,” because who are we kidding?
- Not a subtley ironic statement about the workplace which no one else will understand.
- Not putting pictures of chocolate in my face all day.
- Interesting enough to be appealing, but not so interesting that visitors to Francesca’s office remember the calendar more than they remember what she has to say. (Again, the clothes analogy: the point is not for the clothes to look good, but for the wearer to look good.)
- Not trying too hard. Like the clothes, the office wall calendar must appear to be effortless though it took all day to find.
Francesca has narrowed it down to three choices:
(Francesca loves vintage maps!)
What say you, dear readers?