Manolo for the Big Girl Fashion, Lifestyle, and Humor for the Plus Sized Woman.

January 22, 2009

Big Girls in Art: Leonard Nimoy

Filed under: Art,Books,The Fat's in the Fire — Francesca @ 8:37 am

Francesca knows that  this collection of photography got substantial press when it was published in 2007, but it is worth revisiting.

Leonard Nimoy is, of course, best known for playing Mr. Spock on the original Star Treck series. But the actor has always engaged in photography as well. His second collection of published photographs, titled The Full Body Project, features images of plus-size women in the nude. The photographs are respectful and sexy (not an easy balance to achieve under any circumstances).

This is a family blog (sort of), so Francesca had to pick images with great care. To see more, you can order the book here, or go to Mr. Nimoy’s web page to see many of the photographs there. (Site is Not Safe for Work!)

12 Comments

1. I’ve always liked his work as a photographer. He really loves the female form, and isn’t fascist about it coming in any particular size.

Comment by raincoaster — January 22, 2009 @ 10:44 am

2. Gorgeous pictures, but what stands out on my mind was the experience of going to the website to order a T-shirt with one of the images on it, to discover that they only came in sizes Small to Large.

Of course, that would never happen on a fat positive site, like, oh, this one, right?

Comment by Margo — January 22, 2009 @ 11:55 am

3. Simmer down Margo, I mentioned it to Manolo when we very first began this blog. We’ve got something in the works.

Comment by Plumcake — January 22, 2009 @ 2:37 pm

4. In 2005 he exhibited those photos at a gallery in western MA & was a guest at a Sci-Fi con in a neighboring city. The gallery owner told my friend & I it was okay to print out copies of the photos from the website. (Since they didn’t have smaller versions for sale.) Ended up draining all the black toner from the hotel’s printer! We put the above corset pic together with the corresponding nude version. So while everybody else was getting pictures of Spock signed, we got nekkid ladies! Nimoy was so nice about it too – & he told great stories about how the project came to be. He personifies the word “mensch”!

Comment by Rach — January 22, 2009 @ 6:28 pm

5. I heard about this when he was promoting it on The Colbert Report and I thought COOL!! It looks good to me!

Comment by Deborah — January 23, 2009 @ 12:32 am

6. I’m glad to hear it, I want T-shirts!

Comment by Margo — January 23, 2009 @ 2:11 am

7. It’s cool, and I love the “dress-up” photo. But why don’t people ever use shapely big girls for things like this? There are plenty of big girls like me, who are round, toned and shapely, but we never get light in movies or exhibits. I think there’s a conspiracy against showing images of fat girls who are alluring, cause then the “eww, gross fat” jokes would fall a little flat. Or maybe artists just favor extremes?

Comment by emmme — January 23, 2009 @ 12:48 pm

8. I’ve always loved Nimoy but it was a bit painful to read an interview with him about this work where he was asked whether he found big women attractive and he said “no.” Honest, but oh…

Comment by Tanya — January 23, 2009 @ 7:36 pm

9. @emmme,

I do sincerely hope that you’re not saying what it sounds like you’re saying. I happen to own this book, and all of the women in it are shapely. One of them, in fact, is shaped just like me. So if you’re saying that these women aren’t alluring, or that the “eww, gross fat” jokes don’t fall flat when applied to people who look like me… well, all I can say is, stop being on my side, you’re making my side look self-hating and hypocritical.

There may be plenty of big girls like you, who are “shapely” and toned, but there are also plenty of big girls like me, who are round, flabby, and still totally beautiful.

I hope that some day you don’t need to play the “I’m fat, but I’m not fat like that” card in order to feel attractive. In the meantime, those of us who are fat like that would appreciate it if you would think carefully before you speak.

Comment by Liza — January 24, 2009 @ 5:04 pm

10. I am in love with these pictures. As a portrait photographer, I am amazed by the presence that these lovely subjects radiate! Incredible!

Comment by The Baroness — January 26, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

11. @Liza & @emmme-

I definitely think all the women pictured are “shapely”- not hourglass shaped perhaps, but curves of all sizes, shapes, dimensions and levels of squish are “shapes” worth celebrating.

I may not be as large as the women in the photographs, but I can only aspire to be as confident, as sure of myself & my body, as they seem to be. I envy them for that.

Comment by mini_pixie — January 28, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

12. emmme, you have missed the entire point of the photography. “Round, toned, and shapely” women are the standard for plus-size modeling and mainstream media. Nimoy was trying to get a point across here, and you clearly missed it.

Comment by Sarah — February 1, 2009 @ 12:41 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress