The Monday Hotness: I’ll Take His Low Road (IYKWIM, AITYD) Edition | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Monday Hotness: I’ll Take His Low Road (IYKWIM, AITYD) Edition

I fell in love with Ewan MacGregor when I first saw him in Trainspotting, one of my favorite movies.

ew1.jpg

Let’s just admit this was not his best look.

ew2.jpg

nor was this, from Velvet Goldmine. Another one of my favorite movies, wherein he plays a mash-up of Lou Reed and Iggy Pop with just a hint of Mick Jagger. I didn’t love the Cobain look on Kurt, but if a man MUST wear guyliner, I suppose you could do worse.

THIS on the other hand:

ew7.jpg

THIS bustles my hedgerow in a VERY significant way.  Golly.

ew3.jpg

I never have been able to resist a man in Argyle…and now I don’t want to.

ew4.jpg

Horrible movie, but good dinner jacket.

ew5.jpg

and again I say: golly.

ew6.jpg

I almost didn’t post this because I’m not in love with this look, but I know some of you will be so, here you go.

and finally:

ew8.jpg

If ever a photo shoot demanded a wind machine. It’s criminal.

and no, I’m NOT going to put in any pictures of Ewan MacGregor in Moulin Rouge because that movie is awful and made me want to stab people, and is directly responsible for all those stupid little corset and mini-tophat “mourning hats” that STILL run rampant on the street even though that look was tired before most of the world was wired for electricty. GRRRR.

25 Responses to “The Monday Hotness: I’ll Take His Low Road (IYKWIM, AITYD) Edition”

1. Phyllis July 20, 2009 at 6:08 pm #

There is much to appreciate about ‘Down With Love’, and not just how hawt Ewan is. It’s funny, totally retro in a cool way, and considering how much Renee Zellweger irritates me, she was totally channeling Le Doris in this flick. Ymmv, of course.

2. beth July 20, 2009 at 7:18 pm #

Yummmmmmmy.

Frankly, the Ewan I admire most is “real life” Ewan. He did two separate series — Long Way Round, and Long Way Down. In Long Way Around, Ewan and his friend Charley Borman rode motorcycles from Scotland to New York City. In Long Way Down they rode from the northern-most point of Scotland to South Africa.

Ewan in motorcycle leathers. Ewan shirtless, needing a save, and generally totally hot.

Thanks for a lovely Monday afternoon pick me up.

3. Jennifer July 20, 2009 at 7:24 pm #

SO HOT

Thank you!

4. M.K. Hobson July 20, 2009 at 7:42 pm #

God bless you. I thought I was the only one who hated “Moulin Rouge.” I feel utterly vindicated.

That picture of Ewan in a kilt, however, is ludicrous. I’m with the folks who prefer the black suit look right before it.

5. Princess of the Universe July 20, 2009 at 8:30 pm #

My heart is a little bit broken right now- I love Moulin Rouge. And Down with love is kind of quirky hilarious.
    Alas..

6. Style Spy July 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm #

I’ve just never gotten it about him. He’s okay, but just… eh. It’s kind of comforting, knowing you & I will never compete for a man.

The opening scene of Moulin Rouge made me wish I’d taken a dramamine. By mid-movie, I was wishing I’d taken about 37 Seconals. God, I hated that film. “Down With Love” at least had costumes I wanted to wear.

7. Mrs. Hendricks July 21, 2009 at 12:41 am #

I kind of loved Moulin Rouge. But I first remember seeing Ewan in Shallow Grave, which is a terrific thriller; scared the pants off me. And I usually hate those kinds of movies. And for the full frontal, if you’re that kind of girl and I am, grab your favorite sedation to make it through Peter Greenway’s The Pillow Book. Godawful, but with its own reward.

8. Grace July 21, 2009 at 1:49 am #

It’s a totally silly movie, but I love Ewan in The Island; he’s smoking hot, and plays two roles in the film. Long Way Round is also an awesome documentary – it made me want to get on a motorcycle and ride, ride, ride with Ewan.

9. Fatadelic July 21, 2009 at 3:39 am #

Essential Ewan McGregor lust material: The Pillow Book

10. De July 21, 2009 at 8:23 am #

And as much as Velvet Goldmine did to make parts of my brain go smooth, it DOES include some brief full frontal Ewan action and a random OMG WHY AM I WATCHING THIS HELP ME I CAN’T LOOK AWAY scene between he and Christian Bale.

And now I’m going to have a mental images of him and/or Christian all day (not that I’m complaining mind you)…

11. chachaheels July 21, 2009 at 9:11 am #

Now, wait a minute: The Pillow Book was not godawful. Full frontal nudity, people. And the story still breaks my heart (but I love Peter Greenaway movies because he never plays anything safe–everything is aesthetically overwhelming and gorgeous, and beastly as hell).

And I thought Down with Love was a brilliant spoof of all those
    Tony Randall/Doris Day flicks of the fifties/sixties–plus Ewan sang. He can do anything!

I am very appreciative of the lovely photos. Thanks Plumcake!

12. Kimks July 21, 2009 at 9:44 am #

Thank you for the Hot Scottish Guy in both a Tux and a Kilt. I am married to a Hot Scottish Guy who, when called for, will wear either a Kilt or a Tux- he looks YUMMY in both, but the Kilt- there is just something uber sexy about a man who is confident enough to wear a kilt- Oh my, we need a black tie event stat….

13. slownews July 21, 2009 at 11:14 am #

This makes me remember why he gets a by for his toothless Obi-Wan. Of course, it wasn’t his fault. Mn.

14. Chicklet July 21, 2009 at 12:18 pm #

As someone who owns DVDs of Moulin Rouge, Velvet Goldmine *and* Down With Love, I’m just going to flounce on home and WATCH ALL THREE OF THEM IN A ROW. Nyah.

15. Suz July 21, 2009 at 12:25 pm #

Re: Down With Love, I could watch bathtowel-clad Ewan McGregor do pushups while talking on the phone all day long.

16. AmelieWannabe July 21, 2009 at 4:00 pm #

It’s actually quite scary how much Mr. MacGregor resembles Kurt Cobain in that one snap. Thanks for posting it!

17. Janey July 21, 2009 at 8:30 pm #

Cakey, you know I love you, but IMA CUT YOU for dissing my favorite movie.

18. raincoaster July 21, 2009 at 9:40 pm #

Oh, Janey, step away from the netflix NOW. I think it’s time for an intervention. When the wardrobe is more layered than the characters and the script appears to have been written on a drag queen’s mirror in frosted pink lipstick, the movie cannot help but suck, no matter how charming and dapper the leading man.

19. Plumcake July 22, 2009 at 12:19 am #

Oh Janey I is SHOCKED. SHOCKED I SAY.

20. faye July 22, 2009 at 3:49 am #

I’m a Ewan Of All Varieties girl (and to be honest, particularly fond of Shallow Grave and Velvet Goldmine) but anything that heavily features his eyes is fine with me.

Swoon.

I will point out that Moulin Rouge is NOT the only responsible party in the fascinator trend, though. Those were circulating goth/romantic/victoriana culture long before Baz Luhrmann thought they were hot.

21. Jess July 22, 2009 at 11:55 am #

swoon.
    made me have a moment right here at work…i starred it in my google reader so that i can look at it again and again…yum.

22. Mim July 23, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

EWAN!!!!! **squeeee***!!!!
    I’ve been in ‘love’ with him since i was 15! Had that leafy pic as my computer wallpaper AND in my locker, along with a few more. got a stern talking-to about one of the nakedier ones. hee!

Haven’t thought about him in a while, thanks for reminding me why he was my first, most epic, most enduring celebrity crush. It’s great to see that other people ‘get’ him–most people thought i was weird.
    I really want to see his documentaries–when they came out they weren’t us-compatible.
    Real life ewan might be my favorite. i like him in interviews. I’ve seen many of his lesser movies just because he was in them (a life less ordinary, that surfer one, the island, deception, young adam, which i actually thought was interesting….)
    so hmm… will go look at more pics now.

23. Mim July 23, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

PS he read some short stories aloud for the bbc
    i think tolstoy? I have them on my ipod. his voice is heavenly!

24. Katy July 25, 2009 at 8:27 pm #

Ok, I can understand not loving Moulin Rogue (may I suggest Baz’s first movie, Strictly Ballroom, though?) but can we get some love for Ewan singing? GUH, I love his voice.

25. Jessie July 26, 2009 at 4:03 pm #

At first i was a bit upset,since you dissed moulin rouge(Ewans singing..like buttah)
    but Im too tickled that hes the monday hotness,i just can’t be mad. The man is adorable.