The Daily Kick: Kickin’ it Old School | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Daily Kick: Kickin’ it Old School

My youth was all about Sperry top-siders on the weekends and Keds during the week, because yes, I really AM that white.

I love Keds, they’re they footwear equivalent of the girl in school who had the perfect bouncy ponytail and who, for a treat at the homecoming game, totally let her boyfriend go all the way to “upsies outsideses” as long as he promised not to tell.

keds-sprite.jpg

I just love the pique and the cheeriness of it all. If it was another brand it might be twee, but Keds have been making these for a million years –even before text messaging and Diet Coke!– so they’re just sort of sweet and heartwarming, and c’mon, they’re Keds.

10 Responses to “The Daily Kick: Kickin’ it Old School”

1. Style Spy July 23, 2009 at 9:30 am #

Those would be so cute with your black & white polka-dot dress.

2. AmelieWannabe July 23, 2009 at 9:36 am #

$60 for Keds? Wow, where have I been? Old Lady Amelie remembers back in the day when Keds were like $5 and could be purchased at the Five and Dime. (I’m really only 37 but felt the need to channel Granny Brown.) Super cute shoes, though!

3. AmelieWannabe July 23, 2009 at 10:06 am #

$60 for KEDS?!?!?! What happened to the $10 pairs that could be purchased at the Five and Dime? Oi, I sound like my grandmother. Admittedly, they are super cute, though.

4. SusanC July 23, 2009 at 1:01 pm #

upsies-outsides? Evidentally I’m still as naive and boring as I was in my virginal high school days….

But yes, those are sweet, lovely shoes.

5. missm July 23, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

I would get a new pair of white canvas slip-on Keds every summer as a teen, just like these: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7215205/c/720.html
    Makes me smile just thinking about it now.

6. Jaclyn@MyShape July 23, 2009 at 3:31 pm #

Love these shoes! Such a cute way to add some fun to your feet while also being comfortable. These are too adorable to pass up =)

7. Jaclyn@MyShape July 23, 2009 at 3:33 pm #

Love these shoes!!! Such a cute way to add a pop to any outfit all while being comfortable. These shoes are too adorable to pass up =)

8. La Petite Acadiene July 23, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

Oooh, those are ADORABLE!

9. La BellaDonna July 24, 2009 at 1:44 pm #

I’m so glad you posted, SusanC! Because you are not alone. I was that girl in high school – and apparently still am …

10. Plumcake July 24, 2009 at 2:00 pm #

Upsies Outsidesies is when one deigns to grant an admire a little over-the-sweater action.