The Monday Hotness: The Tom Waits Doesn’t Need Your Stupid Title Edition | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Monday Hotness: The Tom Waits Doesn’t Need Your Stupid Title Edition

It is a scientifically proven fact that your pal Plumcake cannot resist a pseudo-dipsomaniacal lunatic in a good hat, particularly if he looks like he could fix my car AND talk to me about Bach’s early contrapuntal conceits at the same time. In my circle of rock n’ roll guy friends, Tom Waits is a fashion god, and the guy does have a whole steaming pile of personal style, which just goes to further my theory that the most interestingly stylish people on earth are rarely the ones blessed with an excess of natural good looks.
High School…yeah.
Yeah.

If you’re new to the train track genius that is Tom Waits, enjoy his classic 1985 hit “Downtown Train” (no, it’s not a Rod Stewart original)

and he’s got GREAT comedic timing as an actor. If you haven’t seen Jim Jarmusch’s “Coffee and Cigarettes” check out this scene where Iggy Pop and Tom Waits meet for coffee and have an awkward conversation about nothing.

ANYWAY he brings the all-round crazy genius hotness, click on each picture for a link to a must-have Tom Waits album.

64551_lg.jpg

0502_tom_waits_b.jpg

68688_lg.jpg

00088xcx.jpg

waits.jpg

8 Responses to “The Monday Hotness: The Tom Waits Doesn’t Need Your Stupid Title Edition”

1. Leah July 27, 2009 at 6:04 pm #

I dig it. Mmmmmmmhmm.

Tom Waits is unflappably, unendingly cool.

2. Style Spy July 27, 2009 at 11:09 pm #

ALL his albums are must-have albums. ALL of ’em.

3. Twistie July 28, 2009 at 1:11 am #

Two must-see films for all Tom Waits fans are The Fisher King where he plays a small but crucial and awesome role, and Cold Feet in which he steals the entire film away from the rest of the cast with his manic performance.

Kenny wants to see HANDS!!!

4. mike July 28, 2009 at 1:58 am #

http://manolobig.com is fabulous

5. gemdiva July 28, 2009 at 6:47 am #

Tom Waits is a total sensory feast! “Jockey Full of Bourbon”…yeah!

6. chachaheels July 28, 2009 at 8:16 am #

I thank Tom Waits personally for ending my struggles with piano lessons.

I saw him on television way back in the day when I was a kid, he was so odd, but definitely mesmerizing. I was a prisoner of forced Saturday morning piano lessons, undisciplined, uninterested, and untalented. Even my instructor begged my parents to stop bringing me in. But when I saw Tom Waits on TV one night, I realized that if I couldn’t ever play the piano like he did, I didn’t see any point in playing it at all.

And suddenly my refusal carried weight.

7. dcsurfergirl July 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm #

Hey, Plumcake!

I just shared the “Downtown Train” video on my Facebook page and gave you credit for finding that gem. I love both versions (the 1989 Rod Stewart version is still fabulous).

Take care of you.

8. zuzu July 28, 2009 at 11:29 pm #

Also fabulous is his version of “Heigh Ho” from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves on the Disney-cover compilation Stay Awake. A former coworker gave me his copy because “Heigh Ho” scared his kids.

I also love Sinead O’Connor’s tight, bitter “Someday My Prince Will Come.”