The Daily Kick: Our First (I think) Poll! | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Daily Kick: Our First (I think) Poll!

I think we all know I hate this shoe:

T.U.K. Cat Mary Janes

Yes. It’s a lug-soled mary jane with a wraparound kitty design.

However, once upon a time in the not too hazy past I actually owned a pair of these, except they were black and the kitties were, you guessed it, pink. To my credit I only wore them once before my better nature (and friends who called me “pussy foot”) took over but there you have it. I owned these shoes.

The question is, are those kitty creepers better or worse than these discosasters from Irregular Choice:

Irregular Choice Kitty Platform Pumps

I mean, a lug-soled, top-stitched, “Punk died and all I got were these stupid kitten shoes” creeper is  only going to give you so much. It doesn’t get above its station.

And yet these platforms — even though I really might wear them sans kittens– might be the worse offense despite their cheesecakey goodness.

I am torn.

Which cat shoe is more offensive?

The heels, they’re like Hello Kitty goes to Studio 54…in a bad way.
The creepers, because 1993 wasn’t that much fun the first time, either.

Display Poll Results

13 Responses to “The Daily Kick: Our First (I think) Poll!”

1. OTM August 31, 2009 at 1:28 pm #

The creepers are not great, but I had to vote for the heels. I imagine the person wearing the creepers to be a high school/college aged baby goth misfit, who will eventually grow out of them, while the heels would surely be a part of some super twee, sexy-baby-doll type outfit worn by a fully mature adult woman and that is super creepy forever and ever amen.

2. marjorie August 31, 2009 at 3:25 pm #

OTM speaks for me. plus the jewel on the ankle brings the latter shoe into extra-special tacko-vile.

3. sasha August 31, 2009 at 4:07 pm #

There were far, far worse fashion years than 1993. I’m looking at you, 1974-1988.

4. Margo August 31, 2009 at 4:19 pm #

I know it’s heresy, but the ugmo creepers are at least flats. I loathe high heels.

5. lucymlang August 31, 2009 at 7:48 pm #

OTM,

Between teenage and adult woman is young adult woman. At 22, I could wear those shoes and outgrow them by 22 and a 1/4. I mean… I wouldn’t, but I could.

6. g-dog August 31, 2009 at 8:45 pm #

Slutty disco platforms much creepier – one, the obvious joke involving the term “pussy”; two, hint of the sexualization of young girls; three – color striped peep toe with a hat head glued on; four – look cheaply made, like you may go to the emergency room concerned about possible gangrene if caught in the rain in the blue shoes…
    The flats at least are black & white; and can be at least considered ironic on a goth kind of gal; and arguably look better made.
    Sadly – it appears the poll-takers do not agree with me (again..)

7. perletwo August 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

*raises hand*

Question. Are the discoplats the left and right shoes from two different pairs, or are they meant to be worn together? I mean, one would certainly hope they have same color-family mates someplace else, but the creators of these things cannot be trusted even that far, I fear.

8. Lisa September 1, 2009 at 2:07 am #

I suppose on the right undergrad, the creepers could be ok. I mean, when you are young you can wear anything for the most part. Well, not me. But anyway…I just hate the platforms. I don’t like Irregular Choice shoes and I don’t understand how they stay in business. I kind of wonder: i might not hate those without the yucky plastic thing and the ankle straps, which I just think are too much.

9. theDiva September 1, 2009 at 5:35 am #

I would totally have worn the lug soles in college (NYU, Class of ’81) so there ya go.

10. Dowdydiva September 1, 2009 at 8:24 am #

I would wear those creepers now. I know, I know.

11. ChloeMireille September 1, 2009 at 10:14 am #

I love creepers, and I love mary janes. I even love them together. But not in white, and definitely not with a cat face on them.

Now, the kitty platforms I consider acceptable because I’d be willing to bet that you could remove/replace the cat head, either DIY or take it to a shoe repair shop.

12. Ananas September 1, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

Okay, so the heels are worse, for me. The kitten creepers remind me fondly of my Doc Marten wingtips (which I wear a lot.) and thus are better. Somehow.

13. La BellaDonna September 4, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

Sorry to give you the whimwhams, but I’d absolutely wear a black and white wraparound kitty BOOT.

And love every minute of it.

The creepers look a lot like footwaffles to me, because I’m old, and the high heels looks like set decorations; they’re something you’d see on the runway for Heatherette … and I don’t much care for Heatherette. I like them as, um … pen and pencil holders for a tween.