The Daily Kick: Swing Vote | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Daily Kick: Swing Vote

Do I love this shoe? Do I hate it? Do I THINK I love it because I like the whimsy of it –if you’re going to do hardware, DO HARDWARE– and am overlooking an unflattering kitten heel which I’d actually grow to hate or am I only questioning myself because it smacks just a little of steampunk pilgrims and I’m very clearly Not Down With That?

Ruthie Davis hinge pumps
(click to buy)

Readers, I put it to you:

What do we feel about this shoe?

OMG it has a HINGE!!! YAY!
OMG it has a HINGE!!! WTF?
Love it, but not because if the hardware
Love the hardware, hate everything else

Display Poll Results

9 Responses to “The Daily Kick: Swing Vote”

1. Katharine September 15, 2009 at 8:45 am #

Hate the whole thing. Whoever thought Lee Valley’s finest would save a shoe that prissy and 1988-neck-doily-ish needs to get out of the sealed design room and get some air. Dumb shoe, dumb hinge.

2. evilsciencechick September 15, 2009 at 8:56 am #

NO! If that’s supposed to be steampunk, it’s a little half-assed. Also, it is wrong to accessorize shoes with random things you bought at home depot. Unless you are a buyer for a hardware store going to a sales meeting, just say NO to half-assed hardware shoes.

3. ChloeMireille September 15, 2009 at 10:12 am #

I want to like it. I really want to like it, but I only wear kitten heels if someone wants me to aerate their lawn. Outside of that, the silver ones are clearly taunting me.

4. daisyj September 15, 2009 at 11:42 am #

I don’t know; I love the idea, not crazy about the execution. But I can’t really say what I would do to fix it. Maybe if it was a flat? Or a sliver wedge? Or not shiny?

5. perletwo September 15, 2009 at 1:00 pm #

All I can think is, this would be a great idea for a Steampunk-themed outfit or costume. In the real world? I dunno.

6. Plumcake September 15, 2009 at 1:41 pm #

you know Daisy, I think I’m with you. The teensy heel throws off the balance of the shoe because it’s got this super-heavy ornamentation up front and this delicate little kitten heel in the back. Maybe if it had a big thick block heel set at an angle or something I’d like it better. Or as a flat.

7. TropicalChrome September 15, 2009 at 2:40 pm #

I love the hinge because I love unexpected touches that make people turn their heads to make sure they really saw what they think they saw.

The rest of the shoe…sorry, nothing there for me to love. Especially that heel.

8. chachaheels September 16, 2009 at 9:36 am #

That heel has a fall-down-flat-on-your-ass vibe about it, just looking at it unleashes a flood of clumsy balance memories from my youth, which would be the last time such precarious heels were in fashion.

I bet the metal hardware would hurt your toes, too.

9. Plumcake September 16, 2009 at 10:29 am #

Okay, I think you all have put your fingers on what was bothering me about the shoes. Like TropicalChrome, I love the hinge and for the same reasons BUT the stupid little heel…I think I’d fall over. There’s something about the little stumpy heel that makes me positive I’d have better luck traipsing around in the 5″ Valentinos.