Francesca’s New Stuff: Glaring Omission | Manolo for the Big Girl

Francesca’s New Stuff: Glaring Omission

crossword.gifYou might notice that nowhere have I mentioned purchases involving clothing. Yes, two raincoats. Also foundation undergarments which are pretty but do not deserve their own post.

Did I buy any dresses? No. Skirts? No. Tops? No.

Do you wish to know why?

Because nowhere in all of Manhattan — neither in the summer sales nor in the fall collections — did Francesca find plus-size clothing that works for her 5’1″, apple-shaped frame and desire for sleeves.

If you are tall, you are in luck. If you regularly wear sleeveless clothing, fine. If you are pear-shaped, all the better.

But if you are none of those things, as Francesca is not, then just stay home for the next few weeks, under the covers. Do not bother shopping for new clothes. Crossword puzzles are more tempting right now.

Perhaps the winter collections will have more to offer us.

Francesca is put out, and hath spoken.

6 Responses to “Francesca’s New Stuff: Glaring Omission”

1. Lisa September 16, 2009 at 10:44 am #

That just blows. I am sorry to hear it, Francesca. I remember the summer where I just decided to break up with Lane Bryant over something similar. I was a smaller size then, but not by much, and I needed suits for work. Rushing to Lane Bryant, I found that every_single_item_ in their store that every career piece was made out of the same #!@!#@ “stretch” material. The sales girls were in love with it: it holds it’s shape! It forms to your figure!” I wanted to punch them. I don’t need, nor do I want, fabric that “clings to my curves” because that also means it clings to my bulges. I’m like great, work pants that show cellulite and made me feel bad about myself, all from a plus-size retailer. Because I needed the clothing for work, I bought it, but I hated wearing every single item, I ditched them as soon as I could, and I never darkened Lane’s door again–not in 15 plus-size years.

Spandex does not belong in work pants, at least not if you are shaped like me.

2. marjorie September 16, 2009 at 1:14 pm #

boo. i apologize on behalf of my city!

3. sugarsick September 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm #

I’m so sorry!

I know you’re talking about new seasonal lines, but did you try Re/Dress while you were in the city? They usually have at least one item for everyone. I’ve never been there that I didn’t find something. And thrift is more affordable anyway.

4. Lunakitsch September 16, 2009 at 7:02 pm #

I’m so glad you posted this; I thought I was somehow being weird or too picky to find anything as well!

This has not been a good past few seasons for us apples. Everything is empire waist, which 99% of the time just makes me look pregnant. Even my beloved Igigi has been marginalizing we apples– it seems as if only 1 in 5 of each new thing they offer can potentially work on an apple, then they go and ruin it by taking the sleeves off or making it some horrible pink/peach color. Lunakitsch is not amused.

I live in a very hot climate in a conservative country. Sleeveless is out and long sleeves, even 3/4 sleeves will be too hot to wear until November. And don’t even get me started on banging my head against the wall to find a short sleeved boat neck top so I can show off some new jewelry.

5. evilcupcakes September 16, 2009 at 7:23 pm #

What is up with the sleeveless crud? I HATE sleeveless clothing! I went last fall to buy some winter clothes at both Lane Bryant and Torrid. I could not find one single thing with sleeves other than very casual tshirts with neon kitties or “Princess” emblazoned on them. Seriously, are they trying to save fabric? I don’t see a lack of sleeves in the other departments. What in the WORLD makes them think we want that?

6. Jen Anderson September 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm #

Oh, if only you had gone out to Brooklyn. ReDress is a good option and LeeLee’s Valise is amazing and really keeps apple shapes in mind. I just bought 2 dresses there on Friday that I love. I’m 5’2″, so I have to have them shortened, but beyond that, they’re perfect!