I’m not making a pun on plaid and you can’t make me | Manolo for the Big Girl

I’m not making a pun on plaid and you can’t make me

“Pink, plaid, and polka-dots will always come back in style” this is all ye know and all ye need to know.

As you might have noticed, plaid —particularly buffalo plaid— is back in a big way for fall.

I’m not such a fan of the buffalo plaid. As a fashion statement it’s better left to the aggressively fashiony and the extremely young, both of whom get a pass because it’s their duty, nay their birthright, to look at least moderately dopey at all times.

But just because we don’t want to give a trend a big tonguey kiss in front of the bishop doesn’t mean we won’t give it a courtesy peck.

Ashley Stewart  has some adorable offerings in the plaid arena:

Plaid skirted dress Short plaid trench

“Two Fer” Dressplaid bolero

London mod jacketBuffalo plaid top dress

(click image for links)

I’m particularly smitten with the cropped jacket, but there’s something awfully sexy about that tartan secretary number, even though you’d need to trash the cheap-looking belt and employ an interesting cardi.

Which one is your favorite?

12 Responses to “I’m not making a pun on plaid and you can’t make me”

1. evilsciencechick September 16, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

I like the trench coat. I also like the last look, but with my big belly and boobs, I’d never be able to pull it off myself!

2. Alexis September 16, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

I’m with evilsciencechick–the plaid trench is alright. I think I might prefer it if the plaid was more of the Burberry variety, though. That color combo can look cheap far too easily.

3. TropicalChrome September 16, 2009 at 2:45 pm #

I really like the second to last one, the close fitted jacket. I think the combination of the tailoring and the bias detailing adds a level of sophistication. Now if I could only talk myself into the red….

4. Plumcake September 16, 2009 at 2:55 pm #

Alexis, Not me, there is nothing chavvier than the Burberry check. Trashy trashy trashy, which is a shame, because it didn’t used to be that way.

5. Evie September 16, 2009 at 6:42 pm #

I just pulled out a wool buffalo plaid mini the other day while switching over my seasonal wardrobe pieces (wishful thinking, really, since I live in Seattle). I’ve been craving something plaid for a week or so, and had totally forgotten its existence. It’s hard to wear plaid skirts without looking like a middle school English teacher, though. Not that middle school English teacher is necessarily a bad look, but it’s not exactly one I aspire to as a marginally cool twentysomething. Anyway.

Bonus points for “chavvier”.

6. Chiken September 16, 2009 at 6:43 pm #

I can’t get behind any of those plaids. They don’t seem updated from the 90s versions Perhaps my eye will adjust.

7. Cassie September 16, 2009 at 7:35 pm #

I dig the trench. Like the other posters here, however, I couldn’t wear it, though.

My second and third favorites are the cropped jacket (the one that looks like a shrug) and the first dress. The jacket would be awesome with a black pencil skirt and a white or red tank top. The dress needs a thinner, less-patent-y belt, and a good bracelet.

8. Ripley September 16, 2009 at 11:29 pm #

Clearly, I’m a child of the 80’s because I love all of them. I wouldn’t wear any of them my own self, but I’d admire any cute young woman wearing them.

9. gemdiva September 17, 2009 at 11:33 am #

Not a big plaid fan. My sainted mother used to say that most of them looked like horse blankets and I can’t help thinking Catholic school uniform when I look at the rest. That being said, I think they are OK if worn by toddlers and used as accent pieces like hats, scarves, belts, hair accessories, mittens, umbrellas and the occasional handbag. I can tolerate the occasional mini kilt or flannel shirt, but that’s about it.

Oh, almost forgot….big strapping men in tartan kilts are an most delectible!!!!

10. Alexis September 20, 2009 at 12:39 am #

I get where you are coming from with the burberry. I feel the same way about Louis Vuitton logo bags. I just assume that they are all fakes.

11. Violet September 20, 2009 at 10:52 am #

The current or last New Yorker (wtf) has an article on the creative director there that I quite liked (not that woman who overdid the revamp and laid the ground for the trouble in the late 90s — the youngish guy) and I really feel kind of sorry for Burberry about the trashing of the brand, it’s an absolute marketing nightmare, but there it is. I’d absolutely take a classic gabardine trench of theirs, with the check on the inside, as a gift but that’s it for the foreseeable.

12. Plumcake September 20, 2009 at 4:48 pm #

And yet, Burberry Prorsum under Christopher Bailey, who almost NEVER sends a check down the line, is doing wonderful things.

It’s the same with Louis Vuitton. Here LV has a certain reputation because of the tragic knock off bags, but Marc Jacobs does his best work when he’s designing clothes (logo-free) for Vuitton.