The Daily Kick: Beautiful and Deadly | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Daily Kick: Beautiful and Deadly

The Topkapi emerald dagger

Dior Cartagena Sandals

17th century Mughal dagger

early 17th century Mughal Dagger

…it’s like lookin’ in a mirror.

Dior “Cartegena” Sandals and a collection of 17th and 18th century Mughal daggers, because a girl’s GOT to have accessories.

6 Responses to “The Daily Kick: Beautiful and Deadly”

1. daisyj September 17, 2009 at 11:54 am #

The shoes are lovely, but I think I would rather have one (or, really, all) of the daggers. Glorious.

2. Evie September 17, 2009 at 4:11 pm #

Why must you torment me with shoes that cost nearly twice my rent? WHY PLUMMY WHY.

3. Plumcake September 17, 2009 at 5:35 pm #

Daisy, aren’t they amazing? All those emeralds!!! The dagger on top is the Topkapi dagger, and its history is fascinating. It’s also the subject of a thoroughly fun but mediocre heist film called Topkapi, made in 1964.

Evie, because misery loves company. My only consolation is that they only go up to a 40.5 and I take a 42 in most Diors.

4. daisyj September 17, 2009 at 6:53 pm #

You know, I think I may have actually seen that dagger! When I was very small, my parents took me with them to Istanbul when they went for a conference. I remember exactly three things about that trip: The boy who I played with in the daycare place who was named Aslan, a boat trip where we looked down at one point and the water was solid with jellyfish, and a museum where there was a jeweled dagger. I even had a photo book from there that I kept for years that had a picture of it on the cover.
    In retrospect, I may have been an odd child.

5. neverbeenbarbie September 17, 2009 at 11:00 pm #

Wow… those leave me speechless. So gorgeous!

6. La BellaDonna September 30, 2009 at 6:14 pm #

OH MY G*D. I WANT THEM. And I want the Textile Treasures of the Topkapi to wrap them in!!

No, never mind. I’ll just MOVE IN to the Topkapi.

Life’s Lesson, which I have yet to learn: If I see it and love it, I should BUY IT. I passed on a bound boxed edition of Textile Treasures Of The Topkapi for some frivolous reason (didn’t have the money, had to pay the rent – something STUPID) and it was ONLY $150! … twenty or thirty years ago. Considering the amount of time I’ve spent trying to find it SINCE, it was a bargain at that price.