Plumcake Blogs from the Beach #1 | Manolo for the Big Girl

Plumcake Blogs from the Beach #1

Francesca’s got a mess of posts in the works for this week, so I’m taking what I think we ALL agree is a well-deserved vacation from you thumping whackadoos the rigors of publishing and only popping my head in to say hi from time to time, like the crazy aunt who slips you money and imparts bits of hard-earned wisdom, like how rabbit fur is for whores and the only red lipsticks you’ll ever need are “Fire & Ice” and “Cherries in the Snow“.

revlon_cherries-in-the-snow-ad
(click on the ad to read the A-grade copy!)

16 Responses to “Plumcake Blogs from the Beach #1”

1. Frances October 12, 2009 at 1:42 pm #

Beach Plumcake = Awesomeness.

Haha, I’m actually kind of impressed by that advert. Beats the Maybelline “Jelly Plumpy” ad (I didn’t make that name up) with Josie Maran hollow.

2. gemdiva October 12, 2009 at 2:12 pm #

You got me with the rabbit fur line. My mom always had the same words of wisdom. Thanks for the laugh and the memory.

3. gina October 13, 2009 at 10:14 am #

Wow. Did Don Draper write this copy?
    And I’m totally stealing “black lace thoughts while wearing a gingham frock”; it’s brilliant.

4. theDiva October 13, 2009 at 10:59 am #

Best thing about the whole ad.

5. Leigh Ann October 13, 2009 at 10:59 am #

That ad is so over the top. You’ve got to love it.

6. La BellaDonna October 13, 2009 at 1:11 pm #

OMG. Um, let me be the first to assure you that “Cherries in the Snow” is actually a BLUE red – and makes a rockin’ blush when it’s worn down too far to be lipstick. How do I know? It’s my “go-to” lipstick on a daily basis.

I’m gonna go with “I have CLASSIC tastes”. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

(My recollection is that Fire and Ice leans towards the yellow-red spectrum, to which I do not often lean, myself.)

7. teteatete October 13, 2009 at 2:59 pm #

I’m always in the market for good red lipstick, but I have actually never bought drugstore lipstick. How is it in texture? I tend to wear Dior or Chanel lipsticks and I could find something that would allow me to pinch my pennies, I’d be all over it.

Also, I did not intend that to sound so incredibly snobbish, I just have a very expensive lipstick habit!

8. teteatete October 13, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

SQUEE! I went to CVS after worked and grabbed Cherries in the Snow. It. Is. FABULOUS. GADZOOKS. The money I could have been saving all this time….Thank you, Plummy!

9. raincoaster October 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm #

“Strange and Unexpected” is exactly how we’ve always thought of you, Plumcake.

10. theDiva October 14, 2009 at 10:36 am #

is CitS becoming to us olive-skinned girls?

11. teteatete October 14, 2009 at 10:55 am #

@Diva: From what I’ve read it’s supposedly universally flattering. On me–I have very pale skin– it’s a very bright fuschia-y red. I would think that more of the red and less of the pink would show on an olive-toned skin. I’ve been wearing mine all morning and it is lasting really well.

12. Granny Miller October 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

Yeah!
    I’m out the door to go buy a tube……………………

13. hickchic October 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm #

Cherries in the snow was my grandmother’s lipstick of choice for years. Now it’s mine. It looks great on my olive complexion year round but it looks a teensy bit garish on my very pale sister unless she has managed to get a little sun.

If you want to try something really fun, I like to smudge just a little on as eyeshadow for a girls night.

14. La BellaDonna October 15, 2009 at 5:52 pm #

Hickchick: Garish is in the eyes of the beholder. I’m a ringer for Snow White (… OK, I actually look more like her stepmother – Disney version), and Cherries in the Snow looks FABULOUS on me. Not garish.

I’d suggest that only the olive-skinned try it as eyeshadow (rather than blush, for which it is admirably suited for me and my PPP sisters); otherwise, red eyeshadow is one of the signifiers for “age” – applying red eyeshadow is a long-standing theatrical technique for making a character look older and/or ill.

15. hickchick October 16, 2009 at 11:09 pm #

It kind of makes me look like a hooker used as eyeshadow (once again, only for that kind of night out). The way it makes my blue eyes pop is worth it. ;)

16. theDiva October 19, 2009 at 9:08 am #

Thank you, darlings! I will snag a tube this week.