No and no. | Manolo for the Big Girl

No and no.

Dear Purchasers for Large Chain Stores catering to Plus-Size Customers:

Apparel made of velour is not “stylish” and cannot be made so.

It is not a “must-have for fall,” or for any other season.

It certainly is not appropriate for festive holiday celebrations.

It is not the same as velvet, even if it has a “velvety feel.”

Velour is cheap-looking on anyone, and, on large women, reinforces the stereotype that we are sloppy and lazy.

The only people who should be wearing velour are joggers, high-school gym teachers, people going to sleep on a very cold night, and, occasionally, dancers.

That is all.

Love,

Francesca

This dress looks pretty in the picture, but trust Francesca, in person it is a No.

15 Responses to “No and no.”

1. Jennifer November 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm #

Didn’t velour die out in 2001? Seriously, is fat fashion THAT behind?

2. Alexis November 4, 2009 at 5:00 pm #

This is why I love this blog. A very important message. :)

3. Fellmama November 4, 2009 at 5:34 pm #

I have a pair of velour lounge pants I bought at Lane Bryant on clearance. They are snuggly, I love them to death, and I would die before I left the house wearing them. Die.

4. marvel November 4, 2009 at 6:15 pm #

What about children < 5? Are they allowed velour? Or is it a "no" for them too? I have no fashion sense and do not want to stunt development of same in offspring.

5. jen209 November 4, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

I don’t even think velour is very good to jog or exercise in – it’s too thick of a fabric. I think people who wear velour track suits are not wearing them because they’re going to exercise. I would say it’s only worth is the warmth and comfyness, and therefore it should be relegated to PJ’s.

6. Mifty November 4, 2009 at 6:59 pm #

Hmm. I don’t care for velour, but if I liked it, I’d wear it.

That said, this being a fashion blog, I wouldn’t argue at all with a general declaration that velour is tacky and that nobody should be seen in public in it. That’s totally fair.

But I wouldn’t care to censor my wardrobe just because it might “reinforce a stereotype.” If the idea is that you don’t wear what you want because of what other people might think, then I’m afraid I don’t see much difference between that and “Fat girls shouldn’t wear short skirts.” Or bikinis or horizontal stripes or tight jeans or big prints or whatever else somebody else might declare unsuitable.

IMHO, a better way to fight stereotypes would be refusing to accommodate them by letting other people — however indirectly — choose your clothes. If you dig the fuzzy fabric, you’re comfortable in it and you like how you look, then I say rock that velour.

7. dcsurfergirl November 4, 2009 at 8:07 pm #

Uh–what Mifty said! Just make sure that whatever you wear fits well.

8. A Random Claire November 4, 2009 at 8:24 pm #

I confess! I bought a velour hoodie a couple weeks ago. In my defense I am pregnant and it was the only sweater type thing I could find in an actual store that fit my fat, pregnant self. But that is a rant for another day.

9. Lisa November 5, 2009 at 12:30 am #

I have to say, velour makes great dust rags.

10. Margo November 5, 2009 at 2:10 pm #

Velour is usually made from either cotton* or polyester, both of which have atrocious ecological footprints, so if we want to have a moral reason to sneer at velour jumpsuits with BOOTY written across the back in hot pink zirconas, et voila!

*Yes, organic cotton is better, but until they give us hemp or bamboo velour, I’ll resist.

11. enygma November 5, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

I’m just going to say that velour is a big NO on anybody, including those on your very short list.

12. Constance November 5, 2009 at 9:24 pm #

Oh no, I’m doomed. I love velour but not in pants, track suits or hoodies. I adore cotton velour in soft, snuggly robes.

13. Bobbi November 6, 2009 at 2:49 pm #

But some poor, unfortunate soul must be buying the stuff, or they wouldn’t stock it -right? Who are those people, and what did their parents do to them?

But if you can say with confidence, “I wear what I like,” then wear the heck out of it darling.

14. Samantha November 6, 2009 at 3:10 pm #

I have one of those velour track suit things I wear at home only on lazy Sunday mornings or cold winter nights. It was the only thing I could find to buy from Coldwater Creek (a different post in it’s entirety) when I was given a gift card.

I love it. I’m the only one that has to see me in it. Win!

15. Christine November 24, 2009 at 6:42 pm #

I have a velour hoodie. It is plain black (no rhinestones, no lettering), was most certainly NOT cheap, and skin tight (not baggy). It looks badass zipped up half way with a low cut tank, dark jeans, and stilettos. The key is not to wear anything that looks like ‘lounge wear’ or to try to pass it off as ‘holiday’ or ‘festive velvet’ but to appreciate it for its pitch black color saturation, form fitting stretch, and tactile feel.