What Miss Plumcake is…

So I got some sleep and there’s no sign I’ve actually ordered a horse, which is more than a small relief.  I thought I’d give the mosaic theme a break today and treat you to a few bits o’ choreographed brill from this week’s list courtesy of Judy Garland and Rufus Wainwright.

Reading: Wise Blood by Flannery O’Conn0r. There’s no Gothic like Southern Gothic and there’s no guilt like Catholic Guilt. Besides, “no man with a good car needs to be justified”.

Watching: Summer Stock — my favorite Let’s Put on a Show musical, courtesy of Judy Garland and Gene Kelly

Hearing: Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall -in a continuing theme of Saint Judy.  He lived the dream. Bastard.

Smelling: Bvlgari Black. A weird fragrance I usually save for summer, but a fine example showing not all brilliant perfumes are expensive.  You can pick up Black for under 30 bucks online or at Ross/TJ Maxx etc. The notes in Black include black rubber and tar. Before you turn up your nose, read this review from Bois de Jasmin and then go out and try it. Originally a men’s fragrance it’s being marketed to women, too which makes me think it’s gearing up for a relaunch and corresponding price hike. If you like it, get some now.

Loving: Cows N’ Things Everyone wants to help those adorable little poor children and that’s great and all, but what about the old folks? I won’t teeter up on my soap box about the way Western culture treats its elderly, because I could go on for.ev.er about it and if you want to be tediously lectured there are plenty of other places to go for that. BUT Cows n’ Things is a great charity.  You can buy chicks, a beehive, a donkey ambulance OR cataract surgery (for about 20 USD!!!) for an eldery person in developing nations throughout the world.

Hating: The concept of “being good” or “being bad” at the holidays, especially when it comes to food. It’s ridiculous to see grown damn woman smile like their mischievous toddlers whispering loudly they’re “being bad” and having another sausage ball. Listen, if you need to justify to a room of people what you’re eating AND put a moral judgment on it, your problems are a lot deeper than Bisquick-based party snacks.

Wanting: chocolate-dipped spiced apricots. Partially submerge plump dried apricots in dark chocolate and let set. Drizzle pre-dipped bits with bitter sweet or white chocolate and dust with pumpkin pie spice/warm aromatic spice of your choice. Let chill. Dead easy, makes a million and are super delicious.

Buying: Ovation Finalist Pro Field Boots with extra-wide calves (check the size chart, you may have to go with men’s extra-wides)

11 Responses to “What Miss Plumcake is…”

1. theDiva December 1, 2009 at 10:48 am #

love ya, Plummy! I am definitely going to make those apricots.

2. ChloeMireille December 1, 2009 at 10:53 am #

If you’ll excuse me, I’m off to go make sausage balls now.

3. La Petite Acadienne December 1, 2009 at 11:40 am #

I love Rufus Wainwright. His sister, Martha, also sings, and has a lovely, haunting voice.

4. klee December 1, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

I love that Rufus went the whole nine yards, doing the hose & pumps.
    Man is dedicated

5. Lisa December 1, 2009 at 7:12 pm #

Somebody needs to make sausage balls for *me*. Boy that fragrance sounds interesting.

6. Melissa December 1, 2009 at 8:07 pm #

I’ve been a long time Bvlgari Green Tea fan – yet another scent they marketed for men originally. And seriously – it’s just not right for Rufus to have such phenomenal legs. I swear.

7. Plumcake December 1, 2009 at 8:23 pm #

I believe that was actually going to be the original Fahrenheit, Jean-Claude Ellena designed it.

8. All Women Stalker December 2, 2009 at 10:57 am #

I also hate the concept of being good and bad during the holidays. Everyone should be free to eat whatever one wants. I, for one, has ditched this concept especially for my everyday food choices.

-Denise

9. Margo A December 2, 2009 at 3:05 pm #

Those chocolate dipped dried apricots are even yummier if you dip them in chopped crystalized ginger.

10. Plumcake December 2, 2009 at 4:00 pm #

See, I WANT to be on board with that since my favorite food on earth is ginger, but I just can’t make it happen. That too sweet and too much chewy my for delicate palate. On the other hand, crystallized ginger itself given the same treatment sounds awfully good.

I make my own candied ginger as a delicious byproduct of the ginger simple syrup I use for cocktails. In fact, I think I’ll have some now. Mmm.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks: