Twistie Gets Lucky | Manolo for the Big Girl

Twistie Gets Lucky

Oh yeah, I’m a lucky lady.

You see, recently Shop Translated picked several blogs to participate in giveaways of their clothes. I entered the prize drawing at Hyde and Seek, a blog I enjoy tremendously. As it happens, I was one of the winners. As a winner, I was allowed to pick one piece of clothing from Shop Translated. The only caveat was that it couldn’t be from the New Arrivals section. Fair enough.

It took a little while to make my decision, but when I saw the sleeveless wrap dress:

Sleeveless Wrap DressI knew I’d found my piece.

My new dress arrived on saturday. Considering that I won just seven days earlier, I call that swift service. The good folks at Shop Translated even congratulated me on my win on the invoice. Nice touch.

So what do I think of my win? First off, the picture does not do it justice. I thought it looked pretty in the picture, but it’s absolutely gorgeous in person. The splashy print is in purple, turquoise, and navy blue – my favorite colors – on a warm ivory background. And while the fabric is polyester, it’s a high grade of polyester. The seams and hems are finished impeccably.  Seriously, I haven’t seen such neat finishing for this price in a very, very, very long time. There are small vents at the sides of the skirt (just a couple inches), and while it looks sort of cap sleeved in the picture, it actually is sleeveless.

At 5’2″ I’m definitely shorter than the model, but I prefer to wear my skirts a little long, so that’s no problem. It hits about mid-calf on me. What’s closer to being a problem (for me) is the fact that the model is also more chestally endowed than I am. I’m a C cup and the ‘wrap’ bodice is inclined to open up a bit more than I’d like. As in, I had trouble covering up my bra. Still, it’s nothing a well-placed brooch or a couple of small tacking stitches can’t take care of. In the meantime, those of you in the D – DD range will probably get a perfect fit on the faux wrap.

In short, I consider this site an excellent place to look for something new to wear at a reasonable price.

Go, thou, and support a fine purveyor of attractive clothes for the more generously-sized lady of fashion consciousness.

7 Responses to “Twistie Gets Lucky”

1. annie December 20, 2009 at 1:52 pm #

I really enjoy your blog, but the initial floating ad is simply hateful. I hope you don’t need to continue with this sort of thing. Several news blogs have been abandoned because of their opening, forced to be watched, ads.

2. Twistie December 20, 2009 at 2:49 pm #

Sorry, annie, but I have no control over that ad. The ads are how we generate the revenue that keeps the blog going, and we’re stuck with what we’re sent.

3. Alexis December 20, 2009 at 3:52 pm #

That’s a pretty dress! I heard of this site via Joy Nash’s blog and ordered some pieces on steep sale once. I was also very pleased with the quality. I didn’t get anything from their house line, but the brand that I purchased (Antica Femme, maybe?) was very nicely finished and the fabric was better than the pics led me to believe. I hope they prosper!

4. La BellaDonna December 21, 2009 at 7:46 pm #

Twistie, I know you haven’t forgotten the options of: wearing a camisole/tank top underneath; buying the camisole-top bra from Frederick’s; pinning a decorative handkerchief to your bra, a la faux camisole; wrapping a bandeau scarf around the bra area, tucking in the ends – another faux camisole; or, my favorite with the dress you’ve illustrated, a spangly black sequinned – what, tube top? – but worn OVER the bra, UNDER the dress, so that there’s just a flash of wicked dark sparkle under the dress! (I prefer to think of this as the “stomacher”, rather than the faux camisole.)

Yes, those of us who might NEVER wear a tube top as outerwear, might want to consider adding as UNDER-wear-for-show. Long enough to keep from flashing your bra and its contents, short enough that it doesn’t add bulk around the waist.

5. Christine December 22, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

The dresses on Shop Translated look so.. SHINEY… which is a) cheap looking and b) really unflattering.

6. Twistie December 23, 2009 at 12:48 am #

Christine, I think that is an issue with the photography. Up close and personal, my dress does not look nearly so shiny.

7. All Women Stalker December 23, 2009 at 11:16 am #

I never did get to appreciate wearing wrap dresses. That dress looks so pretty, though.

-Denise