Recipe of the Week: Onion Soubise | Manolo for the Big Girl

Recipe of the Week: Onion Soubise

Okay, I have a confession. Until I tried this recipe, ‘soubise’ was a term I had heard a few times on Top Chef, but couldn’t actually define and had never eaten. Friends, I am now a huuuuugge fan! This was tremendously yummy and surprisingly simple to make. It takes time, but very little effort for the result. Oh, and this one is vegetarian, and could be made vegan with the substitution of a little olive oil for the butter in the recipe. While I adored the buttery taste of the soubise as written, I’ll probably try it with olive oil myself soon, so Mr. Twistie can join in the fun despite his high cholesterol and lactose intolerance. But in that case, I might also fiddle with the seasonings to add a little extra oomph.

I got the recipe from a friend, and I have no idea where she got it. All I can say is thank you to my buddy for offering up such a great recipe. Join me after the cut for the details.

Ingredients:

3Tblsp unsalted butter

1lb. sweet onions (such as Vidalia, which is what I used) or spring onions sliced thin

salt

1Tblsp fresh chopped chives

pepper

Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add onion, season with salt to taste, and stir to cover the onions in the butter. Cover pan and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 20 – 25 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid is mostly evaporated. The onions should reach roughly the consistency of marmalade. Stir in chives and pepper to taste, serve to an adoring public.

8 Responses to “Recipe of the Week: Onion Soubise”

1. Toby Wollin February 6, 2010 at 11:41 am #

I’m trying to imagine this and how you eat it – spread on toast? As an accompaniment to something else? Inquiring minds want to know!

2. Jessica D. February 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

I make this to accompany keilbasa and potatoes for a delicious hearty meal, cook the onions as directed except with olive oil, add in thinly sliced yukon golds, then sliced keilbasa. I also do this recipe with butter to go on top of my homemade meatloaf with a brown gravy. It is to die for. Vidalia’s are the best, and are what I always prefer. The onions also go well in croisants for appetizers, dips for crackers, use you’re imagination. I’ve even had these on top of halibut, yummy!!! These onions are delicious!

3. Twistie February 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

I ate it as just a side dish with a Cornish game hen and some lovely little roasted Brussels sprouts. OTOH, I love your idea of spreading it on toast. That could be quite lovely, as could using it as a topping on a steak. I say have fun figuring out how you best like to eat it!

Food should be fun.

4. Orora February 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

Must try soon. Sounds delish.

5. klee February 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm #

I’ve served this on top of butternut squash gnocchi with parmigiano cream & a sprinkle of crisped speck.

6. LeighB in ATL February 6, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

Sounds awesome, but where did you get real Vidalia onions this time of year?

7. zuzu February 7, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

You can do something similar with beets, and have on toast with goat cheese.

8. mr. beeswax September 21, 2010 at 4:13 am #

that is most definitely NOT a soubise.

soubise is made with a bechamel and uncolored onions.