Shameful Pie | Manolo for the Big Girl

Shameful Pie

Okay, now everyone just act natural. We don’t want to make Twistie suspicious. Quick, someone distract her with something with bell sleeves made out of crushed velvet.

Is she gone?

Good.

I’m going to share a recipe. Yeah I know recipes are Twistie’s gig, but she’s not here now, is she? Crap, she’s turned back around, HEY LOOK TWISTS, IS THAT STEVIE NICKS? Phew, okay let’s make this quick.

You know how sometimes you want a pie, but you don’t really have TIME to make a pie (even though there is ALWAYS time for pie, it’s just a matter of priorities) and you were Raised Right so you wouldn’t dream of just glopping something out of a can into a pie shell, since that leads to Bad Pie and because you were Raised Right you know there are very few things worse than Bad Pie.

It’s time for Shameful Pie:

Shameful Pie
1 extra-large lemon (or 1 medium lemon and 1 medium lime) peel on, and quartered
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
pinch salt
Optional:
small sprig or rosemary if you’re feeling fancy
1 tbs cornmeal if you want to make it a Shameful Chess Pie

Dump everything into a blender and blend the crap out of it for 2 or 3 minutes until everything is bright yellow and smooth and gorgeous. Pour into an 9 inch uncooked pie shell Bake at 350°   until center is set, about 30 minutes protecting the crust if it browns too quickly.

That’s it! Could you die? It’s so good too. Now, I’m not particularly fond of my own mother so the slap-yer-mamma bar is pretty low for me, but this will make you want to do a violence unto even the most beloved of mothers.

It’d probably make pretty good lemon bars too.

lemon

10 Responses to “Shameful Pie”

1. ChaChaHeels March 23, 2010 at 11:39 am #

I love these fabulous quick pies you post here! They are always amazing (that chocolate ganache and fruit number you published a while back–people are always in awe of that one, and it takes minutes to put together, so thanks for that too).

2. Suseo March 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

Day-um, Plumcake–fabulous AND easy? This goes beyond shameful and borders on morally bankrupt

The PIE, I mean.

I’m gonna whizz it up this very afternoon–thanks!

3. Plumcake March 23, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

I know Suseo! It’s like lookin’ in a mirror!

4. TeleriB March 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Seconding ChaChaHeels’s love for the ganache pie. I now make ganache at the drop of a hat, for ice cream sundaes or as a base for hot chocolate. It’s right up there with princess seams on my list of Best Things I Have Learned Here.

5. Plumcake March 23, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

Awww, I’m glad you all liked the ganache pie. Might I add that that pie won a blue ribbon at the Wimberley Pie Festival.

6. sarahbyrdd March 24, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

Last year I made Shaker Pie with Meyer lemons … certainly they could be used here as well. Guess I know what I’m baking this weekend!

7. Plumcake March 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm #

You mean you don’t make shaker pie out of real Shakers?

8. angela March 26, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

made this pie in a tart shell yesterday . . . it is, indeed, shameful. SHAMEFULLY AMAZING, that is.

it’s also really, really nice with a shot of amaretto.

9. jojo.k April 7, 2010 at 10:54 am #

I baked this last weekend while doing my spring cleaning.
    The house smelled amazing with all the windows open, lemon and pie crust wafting in the air.
    And I treated myself to 2 slices for all my efforts. De-lish!

10. Plumcake April 7, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

okay, now THIS will rock your world. Make the shameful pie recipe, but instead of baking it in a pie shell, mix up a batch of Scottish shortbread, put the dough in the bottom of a lined cupcake tin bake for about 5 minutes at 350, pull out of the oven and pour the shameful pie goo on top. Pop back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes or so, and be prepared to slap your momma. So. Good.