Marina Rinaldi invitation-only sale at Ideeli! | Manolo for the Big Girl

Marina Rinaldi invitation-only sale at Ideeli!

I have 1690 unread messages in my inbox, and most of them are either from the Dutch Lotto Commission (don’t ask me why), deposed Nigerian princes (I’m like catnip to them) or PR agents wanting me to promote something or other to you lot.

I tend to be equally suspicious of all three, but particularly of the PR folks. See friends, there is a lot of garbage out there and it’s one of my solemn duties to try to keep you from as much of it as I can.  That being said, occasionally, VERY occasionally a good one slips through, and today I’ve got a good one.

Marina Rinaldi was the first proper fashion group that really took an interest in creating ready-to-wear (as opposed to couture and high-street brands) for plus size women. Thirty years later, they’re still producing some of the best quality stuff available in the plus sizes, plus their clothes are made in Italy so you don’t need to worry about the guilt of wearing something pieced together by some 9 year-old Malaysian girl in a third-world sweatshop.

Ideeli is having a 40 hour invitation-only sale starting at 11:00 a.m. Eastern for 1st row members and noon for 2nd row (i.e., free) members, with prices up to 69% off regular Rinaldi retail.

I’ve only got two visuals from the sale, but it looks like there will be sportswear and some dressier offerings.

MAR-2

MAR-3su1-001-1

(click to shop the sale)

Now here’s where it gets tricky. Ideeli and other invitation-only luxury resellers have been historically gun shy about offering plus-size sales, so they’re trying to drum up a lot of business for this sale to prove to themselves that yes, plus-size luxury IS a marketable niche, worthy of its place next to straight-sized fashions. So everyone complaining there aren’t fashionable, ethically-manufactured high quality clothes available for big gals, here’s a chance to put your money where your mouse is and send a message that plus-size consumers care about quality, cut and construction just as much as our skinny sisters.

Use the code “marina” to get access to the sale without registering and if you do register (I commend it, there are great steals to be had) use the referral email plumcake@shoeblogs.com so they know you’re coming from this blog. I don’t know if those $25 incentive things work with corporate accounts, but if they do and something comes my way, I’ll  do a $25 giveaway to a beloved big girl reader.

11 Responses to “Marina Rinaldi invitation-only sale at Ideeli!”

1. lucylang March 25, 2010 at 9:42 am #

*sigh* Unfortunately Plumcake I’m broke. You tapped me out with your last several posts. I just had to have that skirt and those shoes.

2. Natalie March 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm #

I got really excited and ran to the sale…only to find that they chose some of the most matronly and downright ugly peices from the Marina Rinaldi line. Nothing had shape or appeal. There was only one dress that I thought was cute, but not any cuter than what Old Navy is selling right now. Serious disappointment.

3. Plumcake March 25, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

I can’t say I just loved what they had either, although in fairness I have to point out the difference in quality between a dress from Marina Rinaldi and Old Navy is the difference between foie gras and the stuff you find stuck the the lid of a can of cat food. The trousers seems pretty good, and would be my picks, as you’ll have those in your closet forever.

4. OTM March 25, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

Yeah, I tried (excitedly!) but I’ve already got Forever Pants and nothing else moved enough to pony up that kind of dough. The size offerings were pretty limited, too. I registered, per your suggestion, so I hope they do something like this again.

5. OTM March 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Now I’m singing “Forever Pants” to the tune of “Forever Man” by Eric Clapton. THANKS.

6. Mrs. Hendricks March 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

Thanks, Plumcake. I got a pair of the navy trousers and am really excited to see how they fit. I’ve looked at Marina Rinaldi for a long time, but the price point is a little high for me, even though I know the quality may be a justification. I’ll report back on the trousers!

7. Leigh Ann March 25, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Ooh, thanks, Plumcake. I ordered the plain white shirt. I loved the navy blue coat, but am unfortunately a little short of cash at the moment. I’m excited about the recieving the shirt. It’s good to know about this website too.

8. jojo.k March 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

Isn’t it interesting that we all seemed to be inclined towards the basic pieces?

I’m interested in the slacks, the black trench and the champagne wrap dress.
    Though I must ask my self where would I wear that 100% silk wrap dress as I’m disinclined to buy dry clean only items.

9. Plumcake March 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

I handwash all my silk, including my Hermès. Silk is a notoriously sturdy fiber. I think we’re swaying towards the basic pieces because the others are a bit mumsy.

10. Debs March 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm #

Ideeli (I don’t know about the other sites) has a tricky return policy. It appears to change based upon the event. But, when I bought something,my refund was limited to credit on the site—no refund. (Yes, I knew this in advance—I was overly optiistic), BUT the item I bought wasn’t the item pictured on the site.

This is a problem when buying clothes on-line without trying them on first.

11. OCCaliAKA March 29, 2010 at 7:43 pm #

I missed this. I’ve got some Marina Rinaldi pieces (Loehmann’s used to carry a spot of them in Southern California a few years ago), but I do find them tricky because what I have aren’t really cut for cello-shaped people like me.