Prom Dresses? | Manolo for the Big Girl

Prom Dresses?

So, uh, prom dresses. Do you all want me to do something on them this year? Because I’m kinda tempted not to. Of course that might be because I still have PTSD from Francesca’s Taffeta Death March last year.

On one hand, I know we’ve got some young readers who might benefit from a bit of sartorial direction.

On the other, eh, it’s prom. It’s pretty much your last chance to wear a pretty pretty princess dress without someone (me) raining on your poufy parade.  So if you want to dress like the love child of Cinderella and a lemon meringue pie, more power to you. Have a great time, don’t get pregnant and try not to die on your way home.

10 Responses to “Prom Dresses?”

1. Alexis March 25, 2010 at 7:20 pm #

I was soooo not into prom in high school. I went, but I wore a vintage dress in an ironic way (yes, it was 1993). Maybe you could offer advice for alternative promgoers? Where does a big girl find unusual formalwear for prom?

2. Leah March 25, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

Could be fun to do a “Pretty in Pink” what would your fantasy prom dress be kind of thing… let the readers use your resources to voice their creativity. Didn’t The Manolo have a “create an outfit” contest a few years ago? There was some sort of program to put all the outfit pieces and accessories together (I was a watcher on that one, not a participant). That was a lot of fun and I found some great new places to shop. I would love to see what Big Girl readers would wear to their prom (be they actual prom age or well beyond, like myself).

3. Victoria March 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

Yes, please! I’m a decade out of high school but I loooooove looking at what all the girls will be wearing this year. It’s so different! I had to smush myself into a size 14 (size 14 I was not, trust me) – there’s so much out there now!

4. Amy Johnson March 25, 2010 at 11:04 pm #

That last line should be a bumper sticker or a Tshirt, or better-yet an informational pamphlet on family planning.

“Prom: Have a great time, don’t get pregnant and try not to die on your way home.”

Cafepress is calling. seriously.

5. dcsurfergirl March 26, 2010 at 9:18 am #

Actually, a prom dress feature is a perfect idea for you. You have great taste in clothes. Your advice would be helpful for a girl who wants a fabulous dress (and doesn’t want to regret her prom pics ten years later)!

6. Jenny March 26, 2010 at 10:30 am #

I really, really liked the prom feature… Of course I am well past my prom years, but I still liked it!

7. Chiken March 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

It would be interesting to see some dresses that I don’t hate/aren’t made out of acrylic; so yes, I vote for a prom feature.

8. Amy March 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm #

Ugh prom. I’m well out of the high school range, but was bribed with a piece of red velvet cheesecake by my mom to take my sister (sz 20) and her two friends (sz 2 and 6) shopping. It was awful, so I welcome any advice for next year. My sister’s issue was finding a dress that wasn’t attacked by a bedazzler. We did find a great dress that helped give her a very curvy shape. The friends’ issues were finding a dress that didn’t show off the ladies or the asset.

9. Kimks March 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

Two things-

I have some pretty important young ladies in my life who are having prom this year and are desperatly trying to find dresses that don’t make them look like the “Cinderella Lemon Meringue: Love child:- seriously spit my coffee out on that one- nor do they want to look like slutty tramps hoping to get drunk and pregnant. we need all the help we can get. Maybe not a whole month of them, maybe like a week of good ideas and advice.

Also- am going to henna tattoo “Prom: Have a great time, don’t get pregnant and try not to die on your way home” on her thigh for her prom night.

10. Bree March 28, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

One message board I post at did a fantasy prom post where we posted what dress we would wear and who our fantasy date would be. That was a lot of fun seeing all the different types of dresses and the dates of course! Boy, that George Clooney is going to be one busy man come prom season…