The Monday Adorableness: JUST THIS ONCE There is Crying in Baseball | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Monday Adorableness: JUST THIS ONCE There is Crying in Baseball

Oh you guys, can we just stop for a second and give some love to World Cup champ, Spain keeper extraordinaire, Iker Casillas who might be THE most adorable thing on the planet right now? I can’t even really give him the hotness because every fiber of my being is going “awwww” and with the crying when Andres Iniesta scored that goal (and if you think I will not BAN YOU FOREVER for even THINKING it was offside, you’ve got another think coming. That was a beautiful goal.) I mean come ON. How can you not love him? I want to take him home and make him some tapas. And not in the dirty way.

In fact, he’s so adorable I’m not even going to address the ad copy which –let’s face it– need addressing and I’ve got a whole slew of responses, some of which don’t even involve Kappa Gamma jokes.

Am I right? Don’t you just want to bake him a pie?

And the Dutch? I am so disappointed in them. They played ugly, dirty ball and they should be ashamed of themselves. We all know I have Uncharitable Thoughts re: the land of clogs, but I really thought better of them than that.

My disdain for all things orange stems from a 1997/98 incident wherein a young and innocent Miss Plumcake had her virgin heart dropkicked against the treehouse wall for the first time by a young man from Den Haag which resulted in about six months of crying, a rebound relationship with a midfielder for K.V. Mechelen (who has the sad honor of being the only fella I’ve ever really Done Wrong) and a deep and glorious grudge against the Dutch, which I maintain just out of a sense of honor for my 18 year-old self.

So that’s it. That’s all (well, almost all) the World Cup you’ll have to deal with here at your big girl blog. It’s been a fun ride, let’s hit the showers.

22 Responses to “The Monday Adorableness: JUST THIS ONCE There is Crying in Baseball”

1. Jeni July 12, 2010 at 8:49 am #

Ok so while I’m not usually a Spain fan (Germany fan here…*sniffle*) they played a beautiful game and I am so glad they won! I agree with you on the way the Dutch team played. It was ridiculous and they should be ashamed!

Also- my friends are so glad this “silly game” is over now so they can stop hearing me talk about it. I think I need new friends.

Also also- You are right, he is adorable and I do kind of want to bake him a pie, ruffle his hair a put him to bed. And that is in a mostly not dirty way….

2. aa July 12, 2010 at 9:23 am #

Oh, and Iniesta is pretty high on the adorableness scale, too. He dedicated his goal to his friend the Espanyol football player Dani Jarque, who died of a freak heart attack last year. After shooting the goal, Iniesta lifted his t-shirt to reveal a vest on which he had written “DANI JARQUE ALWAYS WITH US”. I cried my eyes out.

3. Plumcake July 12, 2010 at 9:32 am #

@aa: I was trying to read what his shirt said, I saw only “siempre con” so I knew something was always with something, but I couldn’t see what!

4. Miss Conduct July 12, 2010 at 11:19 am #

Due to a devastatingly sexy Irishman who nailed my still-beating heart to the coffee table, I maintain my own glorious grudge against denizens of the Emerald Isle. I’m willing to give Irish gals the benefit of the doubt, but the men–no matter how gorgeous and charming–never get more than chilly politeness. It’s the principle of the thing.

5. Eilish July 12, 2010 at 11:36 am #

I love the Spanish football team. I don’t think I have been shy about this. They were my absolute favorite to watch during the tournament, cause, let’s face it, there’s a lot of hotness on that team and their passing is GORGEOUS! I am married to a Dutchman (well, American Dutch). I felt just a teensy-weensy bit torn about the match yesterday…until I saw the Dutch start playing! What the heck? I agree, that was some dirty football, totally disgusted with them and I was super-disappointed with the coach.

That said, Spain won! I’m still reveling in the post-victory afterglow and you have now picked my Absolute. Favorite. Player! to feature today, so you have my eternal gratitude. Mwaaah! St. Iker is awesome!

6. Plumcake July 12, 2010 at 11:59 am #

@Miss Conduct: Bastards! For your sake I hope they all get the face herp.

7. Rubiatonta July 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

I’m Spanish by affiliation — and it is a thrill that our chicos won. They are a great team, true sportsmen, and cute as bugs! It’s also worth noting that the coach, Vicente del Bosque, is a real gentleman. Humble, patient, and loving — not something that you see often along the sidelines of any sport, anywhere in the world.

Viva La Furia Roja!

8. Eilish July 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm #

@Rubiatonta Thanks for mentioning the Spanish coach Del Bosque! I, too, thought he was a class act, as was the entire Spanish team. (Did you catch the semi-final with Germany? What sportsmanship!) Also, I think Mr. Henry would be quite impressed with his wardrobe. He seemed rather nattily dressed and has a great mustache as well.

9. Plumcake July 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

@DumbBlonde, I love cuddly grampy Del Bosque nearly as much as I dislike slick Bert van Marwijk, the Dutch coach, who received many hisses from the direction of my ruby lips every time his face appeared on screen.

10. Abby July 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

I think the Spanish coach was way too old for them to lift up like that. Put Grandpa down kids! But it was cute. And I thought the the Dutch coach was very stylish.

Having, surprisingly, no romantic history with Dutch or Spanish men I had no strong opinion about the whole thing, but I did think the Dutch were pretty shirty. So I’m glad Spain won, they deserved it, and if it had gone to PK’s it would have been a big letdown.

If Sweden is ever in a World Cup final things will be said. Ahem.

11. Catherine July 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

I couldn’t care less about soccer – or any professional sport really – but I do love to watch them run around! Swimmers and soccer players totally have the best bodies.

12. Anonymous July 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

I just watched that youtube video and I am dead of cute.
    And envy.

And that guy that got kicked in the chest? I think I love him.

13. Rubiatonta July 12, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

More squee-worthy moments from today’s celebration madness (you can find videos of these on the RTVE site):

King Juan Carlos gets a little teary as he hugs Iker.
    Iker gets kisses from Princess Leonor (5 years old) and Princess Sofia (3 years old); he helps Leonor hold the WC trophy up.
    Vicente del Bosque’s youngest son, Alvaro (who has Down’s Syndrome) gets to hold the trophy. The entire team cheers and beams.

These are some seriously good chicos!

14. Jennifer July 12, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

Holy crap I just watched the clips from the RTVE site. Those little girls are the cutest things I have ever seen, and I’m not even a big fan of children. The way they were petting the trophy – so cute!

15. Mrs. Hendricks July 12, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

I must defend the Dutch here, if only because the Spaniards all looked like raggedy half-assed Rafas. Just my opinion.

16. RKT July 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

I’m going to defend the Dutch in strictly soccer terms — every. single. commentator. and soccer/football expert agreed that the only way the Dutch were going to win was to get in the Spanish team’s face, rattle them, and then strike. It’s what Germany totally failed to do. And the two best scoring opportunities the Dutch had followed exactly that script. It wasn’t pretty, it wasn’t “the beautiful game,” and the guy who kicked Alonso in the chest should have been red-carded. But if they had played Spain’s game, they would have lost from the opening minute. They went out to win, they played the game they had to to do so. No team is there to lose, and when the Dutch committed penalties, they paid for them. Most of the time, it wasn’t pretty, but it was within bounds.

That said, I have totally fallen for Iker Casillas and Diego Forlan during this tournament, for their intensity and sportsmanship.

17. the Constantly Dramatic One July 15, 2010 at 6:38 am #

Aaaaahhh Casillas. I have been having an off-on imaginary love affair with him since I saw hit play at the 2002 WC, in Korea.

In real life, he is less “adorable”, more “smokin hawt”.

18. blackberry July 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

S-P-A-I-N !!

19. Jophiel July 21, 2010 at 11:40 am #

Serious question, Miss Plumcake: where do you find all these yummy futbol players? Do they all frequent Austin, or do you just attract them like bees? I WANT one (or two).

20. Plumcake July 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm #

@Jophiel Well two in twelve years doesn’t really count as attracting them like bees, unfortunately. Although it is a point of much teasing that I am apparently chemically incapable of dating American men. I try, really I do, but if there is a European man within 200 miles of my given location, we will be fighting over restaurant reservations within a week.