On the slate for fall | Manolo for the Big Girl

On the slate for fall

Fall is here! Fall is here! Well, I mean fall isn’t HERE –although it was a brisk 95 yesterday instead of 107– but it will be fall someday, and that someday will be here soon…ish, and thank be to God and all the heavenly host because I am bored unto 80 proof tears of everything in my closet.

The big color story I’m feeling (GOD I feel like such a jerk for saying that! “Color story I’m feeling” geeze, this is why fashion people should be drowned at birth) is this chilly slate/petrol blue with lots of gray in it.

I just want to coat myself in it from head to toe and feel sophisticated and urbane and sliiiightly jaded in a way that sort of harkens to the cold strength of 80’s and early 90’s European fashion without being too much of a pastiche.

Here are some of my favorites:

Kate Spade Women’s Kamille Pump
.  This color is heaven in satin.

FLY London Women’s Lark Mary Jane Pump
. Kind of funky and Old World cobbler-y. Fun for running around in a pair of jeans and still having a bit of quirky style.

Seychelles Women’s Kiss At Midnight Mary Jane Pump
. I love a good solid MJ for fall and this seems fresher than those boring burgundies everywhere. GOD I’m tired of burgundy and black patent leather.

Martinez Valero Women’s Zoie Pump
. The perfect New Year’s Eve shoe, lighter but still cold.

Samanta Women’s Viv Pump
. Available up to a size 14, it’s surprisingly wearable thanks to the solid banana heel (which still looks killer) boxy toe and hidden platform.

ZiGiny Women’s Preppy Pump
. Fab fish-skin midheel with a nice broad toe box. It’s a neutral, but better.

9 Responses to “On the slate for fall”

1. KESW August 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

This is actually one of my favorite decorating colors, especially towards the grayer end of the spectrum. I would LOVE to paint my bedroom the color of those fishskins, to go with my new pewter-colored sheets. And I agree, I’m sick and tired of brown/gold/burgundy falls… this is great.

2. Dawn August 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

Im in love with that Mary Jane ! I just may have to get myself a pair-a-dem-dar ! lol . I also like the fish skin hills that you have on there last ! Those are a good height for chasing around kids and not breaking my neck !

3. Toby Wollin August 26, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

I have a silk sheath dress in the closet in that exact color (a tad more grey but still spot on) which I bought several years ago and put away. .. and which I will pull out again. Far more interesting and sophisticated than baby blue or teal or turquoise. Yep..pull that dress to the front.

4. Alanna August 27, 2010 at 2:58 am #

Okay, dumb question. How do you wear mary janes with jeans? Do you wear socks with them? Bare feet? Knee-highs?

5. Chicklet August 27, 2010 at 10:25 am #

Oh, how I want work-suitable shoes the color of the Zoie pumps. I am so addicted to that shade of blue. I suppose it’s better than being addicted to, say, satin booty shorts, but still.

6. Friv August 28, 2010 at 1:34 am #

Oh Em Gee: The blue of that first pair is the only color that knocks me off the Green is My Color bandwagon.

7. vonnie August 29, 2010 at 8:58 pm #

the colors are AMAZING!! i LOVE the Zigny and Samanta pumps the most, so lush.

8. Sara A. August 30, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

Full disclosure: I work at a comfort shoe store.

When we started getting in a lot of navy and gray shoes this fall I knew that fall was going to be charcoal, navy and other blue-grays. My customers still look at me like I’m insane when I say it though just as they did when I had to say, “I’m sorry, but we don’t have any white sandals this season.”

If *we* get it, you know its in mainstream style for sure.

9. Fabrisse September 3, 2010 at 11:10 pm #

I think you’ve started a trend. That darling Seychelles Mary Jane is only available in 7.5 in the teal. *sigh*