‘Tis the Season for the Glamazon

The Best of Roxy Music
Alaïa Chain-link Leather Sandals
ABS Allen Schwartz Mixed Material Bib
Fassbinder’s The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Be sure to check back at the main ‘Tis the Season page to look back on profiles you’ve missed and look forward to ones that are soon to come!

12 Responses to “‘Tis the Season for the Glamazon”

1. Klee November 30, 2010 at 12:00 pm #

MayI say how muchI’m loving these posts? I know there are still a lot to come, but they are fantastic!

2. Nancy November 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

While alas I cannot spend $1600 on those FABULOUS SHOES, I do want to know — do they come in that incredibly wonderful box?

3. Plumcake November 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

@Nancy: aren’t they great? I love Alaia boxes too.

@Klee:
    I’m so glad. They were extremely time consuming so I’m glad they’re getting a positive response. Not everything is going to suit everyone’s taste, but I try to run a pretty broad gamut of goodies.

4. Becs November 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

I agree with Nancy, these are super fun! I love the bib necklaces but whenever I try to wear them (or the super long ones that have been trendy on and off) I always feel like the balance is off. I might be pairing them with the wrong necklines though … Some fashion things I’m still totally hopeless about!

5. ChloeMireille November 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

So…I’ve put the movie on NetFlix, and now I’m lusting after those shoes!

6. Plumcake November 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

@Becs, I’ve found that wearing a stronger than usual eyebrow and eye will balance out a bib necklace if you’re not feeling confident.

@ChloeMireille: It’s pretty much where Marc Jacobs gets all his ideas. Witness: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/F2007RTW-MJACOBS

7. EV November 30, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

Ooo…it is taking SO MUCH for me to avoid buying that necklace right now. I’ve done all my holiday shopping for others, so I get the feeling this series is just going to add to my personal wishlist…

@Becs: In terms of necklines, I like to balance bib necklaces with v-necks or raised collars. I have a short neck, so necklaces that hit right below the base of it aren’t really flattering unless I balance them with something more vertical. A silk shell and a v-neck cardigan, or a simple white button down blouse with or without a blazer would allow the necklace to peek out, without totally overwhelming you. If you like your shoulders, a boat or ballerina neckline would also work.

8. Camo November 30, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

I love the series, too, especially for things like the Fassbinder mention – rare to see a gift guide that can expose you to actual *interesting* things!

9. DEL November 30, 2010 at 10:44 pm #

i just stopped by for some gratuitous swooning over Roxy Music. I saw them in Cleveland in 1975 and it was truly one of the best shows I’ve ever attended.
    Great gift idea!

10. lucy November 30, 2010 at 11:05 pm #

I love these posts as well! I’ll be checking back every day until Christmas.

11. Plumcake December 1, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

@Camo: I’m so glad. I know this is mostly a fashion/lifestyle/humor blog but fashion doesn’t happen in a vacuum and as far as I’m concerned, the more you know about what happens behind the fashion the more interesting it becomes.

@Thea: Sorry, I requisitioned him for the entire weekend. You may have him on weekdays though. Monday through Friday morning.

12. Becs December 1, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

@Plumcake – I know how to do a strong eye, but other than plucking I never do anything with my eyebrows. I tried once with a pencil and it was … not the most flattering, to say the least. Can you recommend any tutorials?

@EV I’ve tried them with V-necks and I feel like it looks odd. I don’t know if it’s my eye or the v isn’t severe enough to balance. I’ll have to give the boatneck idea a shot – I love that neckline but don’t have any currently. And what I wouldn’t give to be able to find nice blouses that fit! Combining broad shoulders and a rack that is not what plus-size designers have in mind makes it hard to find ones that fit at all, much less pretty ones.