‘Tis the Season for the Southern Belle | Manolo for the Big Girl

‘Tis the Season for the Southern Belle

Being Dead is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral by Gayden Metcalfe & Charlotte Hays
Akoya Pearl 18″ Necklace (great price for these)
Professional Ceramic Hot Roller Set (so Jesus can see you coming!)
Johnson Brothers Deviled Egg Plate

Be sure to check back at the main ‘Tis the Season page to look back on profiles you’ve missed and look forward to ones that are soon to come!

11 Responses to “‘Tis the Season for the Southern Belle”

1. Frances December 15, 2010 at 10:10 am #

The higher the hair, the closer to God, eh? EH?!

I’ve never been within an ass’s roar of the South but this whole selection is to die for.

2. txbunny December 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm #

I am so afraid to admit that I already own each of these things except my deviled egg plates are lovely old glass from my grandmother and my great aunt.

Miss Plumie this is a little too close to home…..

3. Emily December 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

Love, love, love! How adorable would the egg plate and book be as a housewarming gift (for someone with a sense of humor, of course)?

4. Neesie December 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm #

Since I am born and raised here in Atlanta – I already have all of these items. Except my deviled egg plate is Tiara Depression glass from my Grandmother.

Some of us Southern Belles are cut from the same cloth.

5. Thea December 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm #

I’ve also got all the items listed – and furthermore, I can vouch from personal experience that there are some killer recipes in the book – along with the hysterical but true stories of Southern funerals.

The coconut cake recipe made me forswear box mixes forever. It may have 2 cups of butter and as much sugar, but it’s sooo good, you only need a ladylike slice to satisfy

6. txbunny December 15, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

Thea – You used box cake mixes at one time????? :-)

7. Lizz December 15, 2010 at 11:01 pm #

Oh lord, I’m so homesick right now. I’m from Georgia and I have recently moved “Up North”. (Don’t tell anyone, but I married a Yankee!) This makes me miss my mama and the church ladies so much.

8. Astra December 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

“Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady” by Florence King also highly recommended.

9. La Petite Acadienne December 16, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

That list is absolutely delightful. I am so intrigued by that book that it is not even funny.

I am also now craving deviled eggs. Damn.

10. Miss Plumcake December 16, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

@Thea: That IS an excellent coconut cake recipe. The essay in it about how there’s a certain breed of elderly Southern Lady who stays up all night drinking gin got photocopied and sent to my grandmother.

@Lizz: You sweet displaced peach! On the bright side, you get to MISS the church ladies without having to DEAL with the church ladies, which isn’t always a picnic, as well you know.

@Neesie: An inherited stuffed egg plate is better than a new one. I love it!

11. Miss Plumcake December 16, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

@Emily: I gave The Carolina Royal (who, as a gay man, never had the chance to register for wedding gifts) a vintage egg plate I found at an antique store with a beautiful rooster painted on it. Two of his favorite things!

@TxBunny: Well then clearly you’re doing something right. Your people should be so proud!

@Frances: yes, exactly, although I’ll admit that I’ve never had the opportunity to use the curlers since I’ve got naturally curly hair, big hair is often the sign of Big Faith.