What Miss Plumcake Is… | Manolo for the Big Girl

What Miss Plumcake Is…

Reading: Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving. If Ichabod Crane is all you know of Washington Irving, you’re missing out. Somewhere between the Arabian Nights and a travelogue, this is a fantastic and entirely-too-neglected classic. Plus you can read a chapter or so a night, so it’s handy to have by the bed.

Watching: Juliet of the Spirits. Fellini at his trippiest, it’s not merely a surreal masterpiece from my very favorite director –some would say the female version of 8 1/2— it was and continues to be a hugely influential movie for designers not just for Gianni di Venanzo’s luscious cinematography but for Piero Gherardi’s over-the-top costume confections. Beautiful, strange and surprisingly empowering. It was Galliano before Galliano was. Brilliant.

Hearing: Etta James At Last. Do you not own this album? How do you not own this album? Plus it’s available as a $5 download from Amazon.

Smelling: Inis Or. This actually smells awful on me, but it’s a decent little inexpensive juice if you like fresh but not too sweet aquatic fragrances.

Loving: Proper Vegetables. The Irish, in my limited experience, are not a vegetable loving people. Except when it comes to peas. Then it’s like that Monty Python sketch when they try to order a strawberry tart without so much rat in it. Somewhere, somehow, someone is going to slip you some peas.

Hating: The Stupid Perfect Shoe. ARGH. Why am I not buying new shoes until I’ve worn all my current shoes just once? These are PERFECT AND THEY’RE ON CLEARANCE. ARRRRRRGGHHmhnfndfddghhh

Wanting: Sonia Rykiel Bag. I’m really not a bag girl but I like this one. I basically resent having to carry a bag at all and for the past week I’ve just been using an antebellum sterling silver calling card case. Sure I’ve got the Birkin, which is the size of my car (WHO? WHO needs that much space?!) This would do me juuuust fine.

Buying: Kiyonna Bellini Ballet Wrap. I’ve been loving variations on these for the past few month, wearing one side pinned up with a brooch as a sort of a wrap. Right now I’m liking a sort of more structured, Antwerp Six, look. Long and lean with attention to unusual proportionals.

12 Responses to “What Miss Plumcake Is…”

1. Jinx April 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Those shoes are perfection. How can you resist?

2. Leah April 6, 2011 at 1:03 am #

If you find the Birkin too roomy, I am more than willing to babysit her for you! Though I do love peas…
    Also, At Last was my parent’s song. Since they & my husband’s parents are both still very happily married, when I walked down the aisle to this song, we all did. First Mom & Dad, then my in-laws, then the attendants & then me. We all walked to the same song/processional (being of course At Last) & that way we got to hear all of it too. As to my other reasons to want that song, I was previously divorced & didn’t think I would ever marry again. And then, at last, he found me. =)
    (sorry for the novel, I just love the story of our song)

3. Klee April 6, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Etta! Fellini! Ballet wraps! All faves. I lived in Donna Karen cozies all winter, and recently found a super lightweight wrap at Neiman Marcus for the summer, when the a/c is a little to high in places.
    Will try the perfume on your recommendation.

4. Miss Plumcake April 6, 2011 at 10:03 am #

@Klee: I don’t like the way ballet wraps hang when they just hang, but I do like them belted and pinned over the shoulder over a short dress. It’s a new silhouette for me and it feels really fresh. Plus it makes my legs look about 30 miles long.

@Leah: What a sweet story, and thanks for your babysitting offer. You’d be surprised by how many people offer to take her off my hands!

5. Josie April 6, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I walked down the aisle to At Last too…it’s gorgeous and has such a fantastic sweeping start! Lovely story Leah!

Am currently loving a perfume called Black March by Christopher Brosius (the demeter guy?). It actually genuinely smells of damp earth and dew and new bulbs and is weirdly sexy. Husband hates anything too synthetic so this suits both his over sensitive honker and my love of scent. It’s my current rec!

Also re veg – just discovered fennel the veg as opposed to the seed. Lovely in roasted veg, yum. Dunno how I managed to never ever even meet one before this year!

6. Thea April 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Oh great! now I’m jonesing for an antique sterling calling card case!

7. Miss Plumcake April 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

@Josie: I really like CB I Hate Perfume although Black March doesn’t do much for me. However, Brosius designed Cumming for Alan Cumming. A kind and gentle reader sent me two bottles and it’s the juice I’ll put on even when nothing else sounds good. Also, I love fennel!

@Thea: I accidentally left it in the bathroom of a disco my last night in Ireland. Thankfully we were able to pick it up on our way to the airport with all my credit cards safe and sound (though the 50 euro note was gone). Whatever, finder’s fee.

8. Toby Wollin April 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

The important item on the shoes: “narrow feet”. Whew. Considering my feet have the approximate shape of a shoe BOX, I am therefore not tempted by these socalled ‘perfect’ shoes.

9. Orora April 7, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Honestly the Birkin might be a bit small. I need to haul my laptop, the contents of my makeup bag and wallet, plus a knitting project on public transportation. I currently use a black leather messenger bag for my weekday commute. I suppose I could divvy it up into separate purse and laptop bag, but I only want to carry *one* bag and I like to have my hands free. Hence, black leather messenger bag.

But I’m willing to try the Birkin if you’d like to loan it out.

10. katinka April 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

I have an original copy of Irving’s Alhambra that my grandmother gave me and I love love LOVE it. I haven’t heard of a single other person who has read it. This is why I love you. :)

11. Thea April 8, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Clutching my pearls in relief that its safe! (especially since I’ve been pricing card cases on Ebay).

Why do I live in a desert when it comes to decent antique pieces?

12. Nancy April 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Yes! Tales of the Alhambra! My beloved edition of this charming book includes 19th century engravings in color of the various scenes described.