Miss Plumcake’s Makeup Kit (travel edition) | Manolo for the Big Girl

Miss Plumcake’s Makeup Kit (travel edition)

Okay lambkins, just a quick one because I am about to catch a plane.

I’ve been doing a lot of traveling recently and if the official family motto of Clan Plumcake is Deus Juvat and the unofficial one is Psycho Killer Qu’est-ce Que C’est then the practical one must be Pack Light (yeah, if I had more than 20 minutes I would figure out how to say that in Latin, but I don’t.)

With that in mind I’d like to turn you on to what’s in my makeup kit when I travel.

MAC 217 Blending Brush — THE blending brush. Accept no substitutes.
MAC 266 Angled Brush — I like using an angled brush for eyeliners, and this one is my favorite.
Rimmel Colour Rush Quad in Smokey Noir — Or any other decent, inexpensive gray quad. I like grays because you can play with them for day or evening and don’t have to be too careful, which is handy if you’re applying on a plane, train or automobile (though ideally not while operating one)
Just Bitten Lip Stain –in Forbidden plus one other more intense color, usually Gothic
Physicians Formula Cream Liner Trio for Brown Eyes –Yes I have blue gray eyes but this interlocking trio comes with an emerald, black and indigo/violet liner. Excellent as standalone liners and can be smudged on as cream eyeshadow too.
L’Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara –I am CRAZY for this mascara. It doesn’t smudge or run. Because it tubes, when it does come off you can just brush it off your cheek. I’m not sure when double-layer mascara stopped sucking but this definitely doesn’t.
Milani Bee Rich Lip Gloss — I use this as a gloss but also a cream blush. Cheap too!

What do you take in your travel kit? Anything you won’t leave home without? Put it in the comments!

16 Responses to “Miss Plumcake’s Makeup Kit (travel edition)”

1. wildflower May 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

Most makeup comes in forms that are so small that it seems you could take whatever makeup you want and not have to worry about space issues. One lipstick or four, how much space difference is that? When I travel, I am more concerned about reducing the amount of clothes, shoes, and personal care products. TSA regulations make the latter problematic, but thank goodness, it seems to be okay to travel with a cheap, disposable plastic razor nowadays, so you can shave when you travel!

2. patster May 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

i travel (and stay home, come to think of it) with mineral make up…L.A. minerals is a small indie co. with lovely shades and formulas. and very reasonable prices.

a foundation colour, a blush, a colored lip balm (I like lanolips) a couple of brushes, a small spray bottle with rose hydrosol to set everything, and i am out the door.
    it can practically fit in my pocket…..mineral make up is fabulously travel-friendly in that it is compact and doesn’t ever separate or weep or leak or seep, no matter what temperature and pressure and humidity changes you force it through.

over the years i have pared down my travel toiletries also.
    i like to travel light. but never grungily.
    last year I discovered gotoobs: silicon wide necked travel bottles that are reliable, washable and utterly leak-proof.
    a handful of those and a few bars of soap and I can take off for six weeks.

3. Thea May 4, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

my Neutrogena makeup removing towelettes, because you can’t count on every country to believe in the sanctity of washclothes (looking at you England).

And red lipstick, just in case of ‘lost reservation, must charm the Maitre d’ emergencies.

4. marvel May 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

What about foundation/blemish concealer?!

Or do you have perfectly clear, smooth skin with an even tone that requires no foundation, in which case I might have to hate you. (Just a little.) (And not for long.)

I look like death warmed over–then frozen again and reheated in a microwave–without foundation.

5. Tiff May 4, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

I have also come to love the joy of the grey eyeshadow quad, especially as I am fairly new to this whole makeup thing. I pretty much always have a Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer balm on me- I wear excellent glasses and thus can usually manage to spruce up quickly with a lip gloss, and this one is it for me.

6. katinka May 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

I love love love MAC’s Prep + Prime, spf 50. I never travel without it.

7. RKT May 4, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

I always travel with concealer, a concealer brush, lipbalm, the body shop tint for lips and cheeks (comes in tube with doe foot wand), mascara, and a neutral eye shadow. If I think I might be going out, I add a darker lip color and another, darker shadow.

8. Leah May 4, 2011 at 9:45 pm #

I tend to not wear much make-up while IN flight, just before my final arrival I throw some on. I’m with Thea on the Neutrogena moist towelettes, then some L’Occitane Shea Butter moisturizer, a quick brush of GLO Minerals pressed powder all over my face & some Lancome Definicils mascara. I then use Fresh Plum Sugar on my lips & rub a touch into my cheeks. For a long flight (most from AK are…) I will also put a little white sparkly on my inner eye to wake my face up a little It’s not an overly made-up look, & I put everything (except the lip color, it’s a MARVELOUS sheer) on very subtly & light. Then with my lush lips I am ready to go. =)

9. Katharine May 5, 2011 at 9:18 am #

I take exactly the same things travelling that I use every day.

Smashbox Antishine Primer (the only thing I wear on my face)
    BeneFit Lemon-Aid concealer (the first layer of hiding my punched-in-the-eye dark rings)
    a lip brush with cover that I use to apply the concealer
    Smashbox Photo Op Eye Brightener (layer two of dark ring hiding)
    DiorShow Brow Gel in Shiny Brown (I think this has been discontinued; woe)
    Shu Uemura lash curler
    Blinc Kiss Me tubing mascara in black
    NARS lipsticks in Gypsy (day) and Fire Down Below (night)
    Burts Bees honey lip balm
    Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama gel liner in Charcoal, and the brush from it, which cheap though it is works better for me than either of my two expensive liner brushes– stiff and precise (and thank you for the rec for this, as it rocks, and has less tendency to bleed out under my eyes than the MAC gel liners I was previously using). Charcoal looks black on me, without actually BEING black; I’m getting to that Certain Age point at which true black liner makes me look as though I should be stirring cauldrons of newts.

10. smark May 5, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Peragro leviter

(I travel lightly)

11. Thea May 5, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Forgive me for going off topic but I saw Leah posting

Leah I owe you large! I got the Lee platinum label jeans you recommended and OMG they are FABULOUS!

I’d been looking for new jeans since my favs were discontinued a year ago and these dried up all my tears of frustration.

Again, my apologies to the group, but y’all, it was about jeans that FIT!

12. Ems May 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner
    Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid
    Carmex Strawberry lip balm
    Neutrogena Lip Sheer
    Physician’s formula face powder

13. Leah May 6, 2011 at 12:52 am #

*Apologies, but I must reply to Thea! =D

Yayyy!!!! Thea, that is so awesome!!! I was hoping they would, I was worried someone was going to say they tried them & they sucked or something… I am SO happy I could contribute to your blue jean bliss! =) They are definitely great trouser jeans.

14. Violet May 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

For carry-on only:

Travel size MUFE primer
    Foundation (RCMA in a small pot)
    One demure lipgloss
    One versatile lipstick
    Maybe a second lipstick if I’ll need to do a strong color
    Mascara – any waterproof Maybelline one marked for volume
    Foundation brush
    Eyelash comb, WORTH EVERY PENNY from Tweezerman

For checked bag, same as above, plus:

MUFE Mist & Fix for setting everything, sadly not available in travel size. This enables the following additional eye-related items:
    Black eyeliner
    Shadow – a warmer version of the greys palette (bone/mink) or a gold/bronze duo (with no big gross sparkles). I’d specify, but it’s all ancient and needs replacing with something contemporary now that I’m able to keep it on for >2 hours at a time thanks to the M&F
    Smudging brush for liner
    Shadow brush

15. Laura May 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

I absolutely cant travel anywhere without my Maybeline Dream Matte Mousse, brown eye shadow and eye pencil, mascara and eyelash curler. I’m not a lipstick girl, so I also bring my chap stick. My best friend, however, is a professional make-up artist and she never leaves the house without, well, anything.

16. Cassie May 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

My purse holds the following makeup and equipment at all times:

MAC Wonder Woman eyeshadow palette in Defiance (the pink and purple)
    MAC 217 Blending Brush (I got the eyeshadow palette, got it home and went “dammit, I should have gotten that brush”. I didn’t use the palette until I get m’damn brush, too. Out of stock, two week wait.)
    MAC Wonder Woman Lipglass
    Benefit Bad Gal Lash
    A Cargo eye liner set that I don’t remember the name of
    A Clinique pressed powder compact
    And about a half-dozen other lip glosses that I occasionally use.

Yeeeeah, I’m kind of a makeup junkie.